Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Camera

trikidy

Anyone fitted a rear view camera?

Ones I have seen the camera is very big, I want something a bit more discreet.

I like the idea of having the camera in the rear view mirror, but obviously if not ideas of where to put the monitor.

Recommendations and advice is great, I can't see any threads but there must be!

I know you can get a rear view mirror with built in satnav so maybe possible to get the camera in there? Or modify the satnav mirror to show the reverse camera instead

That sat nav sounds good, any links?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230870127086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks good, but the size of the camera would look a bit big I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120939063505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And here, the camera is big

Not cheap right enough lol

You get a number plate with a discrete reversing camera -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170-HD-Color-Car-Reversing-Camera-License-Plate-Frame-Night-Vision-Rear-view-/271099392586?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f1ec8724a#ht_4439wt_879

Then you get a head unit with a video screen and camera input (it also plays dvds - other, more expensive models have gps, and other features but this one is under £110) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Digital-touch-screen-Car-DVD-Player-USB-MP3-Stereo-Head-unit-Detachable-/181062598813?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a282c009d#ht_12060wt_1170

That rear view mirror is great, but too pricey!

I like the number plate idea, very discreet!

I like my current head unit though, it has 6CD changer in it lol plus that £100 one is from hong kong and they have only sold one which makes me think it isnt too great.

Would it be possible to use the license plate camera and hook it up to a different monitor so I can keep my head unit the same?

no reason you couldn't do, but you would need a monitor somewhere and constantly being fed power by the ignition and also on the right channel to get the input from the camera... No reason you couldn't do it though!

no reason you couldn't do, but you would need a monitor somewhere and constantly being fed power by the ignition and also on the right channel to get the input from the camera... No reason you couldn't do it though!

Well it would only want powering when the reverse light is activated, like the camera would be. So I could use the same wire for each- I think?

AS far as the right channel, isn't it just a wire that goes into it? So I'm hoping it would go straight onto it lol

Think running an LCD TV might be to much for the reversing output. On my reverse kit the beeper is plugged into a12v outlet then comes on only when a signal is received. Maybe you can find certain types of LCD that work the same way?

I have that on the back of mine, with the towbar on i can get it to within a few mm of whats behind me, scares the hell out of people in the car im reversing up to :lol:

I had a monitor i built into the sun visor, but then decided to go with a mirror with a screen in it, like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-TFT-LCD-CAR-Monitor-Rear-view-Mirror-Monitor-Color-Screen-Reversing-Sensor-/110951062780?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_o_Player&hash=item19d532dcfc

Ive powered the lot off the reversing lights, as they draw very little power, and they work perfect :D

post-40098-0-11734600-1372753119_thumb.jpost-40098-0-88749100-1372753180_thumb.j

• Like 1

wow you cannot even notice it!

thats the idea :lol:

here one with some paper behind so you can see better

more often than not they will need a bit of trimming to fit your number plate light hole and the light that is built in isnt very bright so might be worth adding some extra lighting, but other than that they give a great picture.

Go for the CCD version rather than CMOS, its supposed to be clearer and better at night. I read of someone who cut a hole in the boot handle and cut hte camera out of the unit so it was on its own rather than with the light then slotted it into the boot handle hole, this way he kept his original number plate lights in tact.

post-40098-0-86126600-1372794452_thumb.j

Is it easy to get the wires from the camera to the rear light where you need to power it?

you would need to feed it back into the cabin, or at least into the trunking then down the boot seals and into the panel to click into the lights I suspect.

mines an mondy estate so was a pig of a job to get the wires through the rubber sleeve where the loom goes at the top of the door, but once that bit was done, the rest is fairly straight forward, just tuck it behind the trim round the edge of the car, or along the roof lining.

The numberplate cam is well worth it, as you can see it is very subtle so wont be abused or accidently caught by kids or other people walking past.

But like i said the only draw back is the light, if you have a dull light in the other plate light your ok, otherwise it looks very lopsided. I started off by adding short strip of waterproof leds under the handle, but i ended up having trouble with it due to the small fiddly position it was in, so bought for some of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-3mm-White-Water-Clear-8000MCD-Wired-12V-Car-LED-3LW-/220790152849?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item33681e5e91

I then drilled about 4 or 5, 3-4mm holes in the underneath of the handle and just pushed those in, if you get the right size drill bit you can just push them in from inside the handle and they sit snug. Then just wire them into the numberplate wire thats already there and your sorted.

The first pic is the original led strips i put on to give you an idea, I know it looks tatty but bare in mind you wont see them unless the tailgates open. The second is the view i got from the cam when i was parked in the garage to give you an idea of view (the yellow skittle is right up against the bumper with the towbar next to it, then there is a green skittle either end against the bumper under the position of the lights. the red skittle is 6foot behind the car in line with the towbar)

Yeah ok the garage is a mess :lol:

post-40098-0-06629600-1372839753_thumb.j

post-40098-0-40578200-1372839774_thumb.j

Well it would only want powering when the reverse light is activated, like the camera would be. So I could use the same wire for each- I think?

AS far as the right channel, isn't it just a wire that goes into it? So I'm hoping it would go straight onto it lol

Why not have it switched on when driving normally, you could even have it connected to a PVR (personal video recorder) so it would capture incedents/ bad driving (other peoples!) etc in conjunction with a front-facing recording camera

Why not have it switched on when driving normally, you could even have it connected to a PVR (personal video recorder) so it would capture incedents/ bad driving (other peoples!) etc in conjunction with a front-facing recording camera

yeah you could watch the idiot behind crash into the back of you, or the look on their face when they realise they havent left enough braking distance :lol:

in case its of use i did create a guide to fitting a rear view camera a while ago..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club