Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Input Shaft Bearing - How Long Left

suddste

Hello ok so its been a year since I found out my gearbox input shaft bearing has gone bad and making a noise. Ive done 17, 000 miles since then. Just wondering how long left you reckon I have before it goes completly and what happens when it does. The noise has got worse and it makes noise in 1st gear and 2nd gear but no others.

It makes noise in neutral but only just audible

anyone? What happens when it fails?

to be honest you have done well getting 17k out of it, I wouldnt be surprised if your sat on a ticking timebomb.

To be honest, when it goes, your looking at the risk of gearbox damage, if I were you, I would get it replaced sooner rather than later.

to be honest you have done well getting 17k out of it, I wouldnt be surprised if your sat on a ticking timebomb.

To be honest, when it goes, your looking at the risk of gearbox damage, if I were you, I would get it replaced sooner rather than later.

I'm not interested in fixing it after it goes, i'll be getting a new car at that point, i'm just wondering what to expect when it does eventually go, is it just a loss of power, etc

I suspect the car will just collapse in a heap. The shaft bearing will probably sever, and dislocate the shaft and the gearbox connections, so in essence the car probably wont be going anywhere!

I suspect the car will just collapse in a heap. The shaft bearing will probably sever, and dislocate the shaft and the gearbox connections, so in essence the car probably wont be going anywhere!

thats ok then, as long as nothing locks up!

I couldnt promise that, if the shaft does obstruct, then it could lock up, only by disengaging the clutch can you roll safely to a half... Thats why I am saying its a ticking time bomb...

I couldnt promise that, if the shaft does obstruct, then it could lock up, only by disengaging the clutch can you roll safely to a half... Thats why I am saying its a ticking time bomb...

i'm not sure what you mean?

I think he means tick tock tick tock BANG lol had a lay shaft go on a rover once in Cornwall uphill on a bend with a caravan on the back just stopped the car dead oh and hell of a traffic jam behind lol

I think he means tick tock tick tock BANG lol had a lay shaft go on a rover once in Cornwall uphill on a bend with a caravan on the back just stopped the car dead oh and hell of a traffic jam behind lol

if thats all that happens then its ok!

lol I think STEADS hit the nail on the head. If it goes though, its gone, and you wont be going anywhere... You never know you might get thousands of more miles out of it, otherwise, you might end up starting your car tonight and it goes, these things are difficult to guess.

lol I think STEADS hit the nail on the head. If it goes though, its gone, and you wont be going anywhere... You never know you might get thousands of more miles out of it, otherwise, you might end up starting your car tonight and it goes, these things are difficult to guess.

yeah I need it to last one more year, then hello new car

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, but to be honest I would say your on a hope and a prayer...

Long shot, but can you not chop this car now for a cheap banger to get you through to the new car? I just think I wouldnt be too confident driving my family in a car I knew was a timebomb, and not sure if you feel the same...

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, but to be honest I would say your on a hope and a prayer...

Long shot, but can you not chop this car now for a cheap banger to get you through to the new car? I just think I wouldnt be too confident driving my family in a car I knew was a timebomb, and not sure if you feel the same...

Well its lasted a year already and tbf you can only hear a whirring at idle when you turn everything off including the fans

and im a student so I shouldnt really have a car anyway!

lol, in that case you have done well. If its just a whine, I wouldnt overly worry, I would however suggest do yourself a favour and drain and replace the gearbox juice. That should at least give it more of a chance of living, as the more contaminants you have in there, the more likely it is to jam and go bang.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club