Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 6 1.6 Tdci Gearbox Whine?

3putgrb

My daughters 57 plate Fiesta has a whine in top gear cruising at 60-70 mph. Just wondering if changing the gearbox oil may be needed as it has done a very competent 141,000 miles!

Not had a chance to look underneath yet but hoping it has a drain plug and not a suction job.

Any one with some experience on this able to help please?

I guess the diesel engines have an ib5 like the petrol models and I'm sure I have read that there isn't a service port of them, however many people on here seem to think they have checked the oil, perhaps one of them will find this later on.

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is that my daughter uses the car daily for work and doesn't live at home so I am trying to check what I need so I am prepared when she comes around to do the job.

There must be a filler to check the level but not sure if it has a drain plug or needs to be sucked out?

Here I just found this on the forum, should be the same for you, I would consider clutch bearings as well these seem to crop up as a problem quite often, mine will whine when slowing down through higher gears but I believe that that is just the engine breaking sound as it works harder to keep the box moving. Good luck.

Look underneath the front of the car, on the front of the gearbox you will see the reversing light switch and about 4 inches to the right of this there is a black hex headed bolt, this is the filler /level hole.Oil is synthetic gear oil SAE 75W-90 to ford spec. WSD-M2C200-C (best you check your handbook to confirm).

• Like 1

Thanks for that I will check it out.

• 1 year later...

I know this is quite old but did you ever find out what the issue is? Mine does the same (1.6 petrol - 2011) and my local Ford dealership are convinced its air noise through the intake??!