Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1996 Windscreen Washer Not Spraying Any Water

ollief

Hi all, this is my first post on here and really hope someone can help.

I've got a 1996 Fiesta Ghia and my windscreen washer engine seems to be whirring when pressed for both the front and back washers but only occasionally spits out water.

Based on other posts I can see that I may have to un-clog the tank but for a novice that is easier said than done. I have looked for instructions on line but couldn't see any simple ones that didn't require taking off the fender on the drivers side.

If anyone has any previous experience with this or knows where to get the instructions to complete from I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!

I would start from the top, you can hear the motor trying get to spray the jets, so open the bonnet up and pull the little rubber hose off of the washer nozzle, now try the jet, either hang it over the side of the car or get someone to test it for you if there is fair amount the of water coming out then it's going to be clogged nozzles, be sure to do this for both front washers, if there is little to no water coming out then I would be looking at following the line as far as you can so that you can check for leaks or blockages, otherwise it's going to be either a broken pump or blocked bottle, in either case you will have to remove the washer bottle and drain it, try the above first though.

Thanks Nathan. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

I love have a look later on in my lunch break I'm off to work.

• 3 weeks later...

If the motor is working i would unplug the hoses one at a time testing as going along to see if they are blocked or if it is just the jet things. I would unplug the hose from the jet then spray the water and see if water squirts out. If water does come out near the jets try get something thin like a hair off a wire brush and stick it in the little holes on jets to see if you can clear blockages in the sprayers if there is any,

I fixed my tutors rear washer jet thing doing this by unplugging pipe and testing if water came out of it and it did so then I used a hair off a wire brush and put it into the jet then wriggled it around trying to get it as far in as posible then tried the jet again and it was unblocked,

If water doesnt come out work your way along the pipe and see how far you can get till water comes out or check for kinks, I guess that way you would know roughty where the blockage is.

Check you have plenty of water in it also, I always have some screen wash in my Mk 4 1996 Ghia Fiesta. Not sure if it helps prevents clogging but it helps clean windows better than water alone :)

I hope you sort it out.

Hi What it will be is the filter in the tank you get this if you have the mix of screen wash to thick and the way to fix this is to pull out the pump from the tank push fit and clean the filter in hot water .Had to sort this on a Ka think it will be the same (only 10 months old at the time but Ford wanted me to pay for it) .But do as above in the first place just to check. PS try to get the screen wash out of the tank before you take out the filter as it will gush out .

Hi all, thanks so much for advice. It would seem that the front washer occasionally squirts out the windscreen washer but the back washer never does.
Have tried the cleaning but makes no difference so looks like the tank is blocked.

As i'm not experienced enough to take the parts off the car i'm giving in and taking car to a garage to take a look.

Guy sounded like he knew how to fix which is always a good sign I think! Will let you all know what he charges to see if it is reasonable.

Been quoted for £22.50 + VAT to do the work so going to get it booked in.

Been quoted for £22.50 + VAT to do the work so going to get it booked in.

Ok cool not to bad I guess. Let us know what it is when you find out for sure :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had to get the tank completely cleaned out unfortunately as was full of gunk!

Total cost to fix was about £40 but now front and back washers are happily spraying!

I know its a bit late now, but my mk5 diesel fiesta had an habit of kinking the washer pipe just behind the bonnet hinge, if you didn't position it just right then it kinked and the washers wouldn't work. I hope this helps some one out it had me foxed for a while.

Cheers ian

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club