Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sony Dab Radio

Andyhire

In My Focus I have a Sony DAB Radio. Does anybody know how easy (or hard) to upgrade it to be able to use the phone functions and what extras are required.

Can't see your profile to know what year car on mobile, but I thought all Sony Dab units had bluetooth as standard?

you need a bluetooth mudle and ford to set it up or something...someone with more info will confirm it

The Bluetooth/Voicecontrol functionality of the original Ford headunits is fully controlled by a seperate Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module which is connected to the radio by the CAN-bus network.

There are basically two versions of this module. There is a version with part number 8M5T-19G488-XX which only supports Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and there is also a version with part number 8M5T-19C112-XX which supports Bluetooth/Voicecontrol and USB (the latest versions support A2DP also).

To retrofit the system you need the following parts:

*Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. Prices from €250,- to €450,- depending on the module version.

*Mounting bracket for the module. Price is €15,-.

*Radio control on steering collumn with VOICE button. Price is €105,-.

*Big interior light surround with mounting hole for the microphone. Price is €30,-.

*Microphone. Price is €60,-

*Wiring loom. For retrofit ford offers an accessory wiring loom which costs €150,-. Cars with the system factory fitted have the wiring fully included in the interior wiring.

*For USB you need 2 cables, mounting bracket and a USB connector plug. These pars cost about €150,-

Ford also offers a complete retrofit kit with all needed parts for the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system (without USB). This kit includes the accessory wiring loom and a special accessory microphone which must be clamped on the A-pillar.

The price of this retrofit kit is €470,-.

Bluetoothset-1.jpg

If you buy a new module or a used module which originally came from a Focus MK2, C-max MK1 or Kuga MK1 there is no need to configure the system. Modules which came from other Ford models have a different configuration and do not work correctly in a Focus MK2. In this case the module must be re-configured for a Focus MK2.

The price of this retrofit kit is €470,-.

So in other words don't bother and get yourself a high-end aftermarket head unit?

Or a Parrot MKI 9200 handsfree system which has a2dp function for music streaming.

They're about £120 new on eBay.

So in other words don't bother and get yourself a high-end aftermarket head unit?

Or a Parrot MKI 9200 handsfree system which has a2dp function for music streaming.

They're about £120 new on eBay.

An aftermarket headunit or parrot is probably much cheaper compared to retrofitting the original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. But there are always people (like myself) who wants to have the original system.

Last year I retrofitted a brand new 2011 S-max 6000 CD PREMIUM MP3 radio to my 2005 Focus MK2 and retrofitted the Focus MK2.5 Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system at the same time. Compared to a parrot or aftermarket headunit the original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system may have less functionality but I like the way it is fully integrated into the car.

Since yesterday I have a late 2007 Sony 6-CD radio in my car which because of the firmware (too old) is not compatible with my Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and it does not support USB. I like this radio very much but to get the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol working correctly again I have to buy a newer (at least 1 year) radio or change my bluetooth wiring and change my Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module for an older version.

The system I want to have eventually is a 6-CD Sony combined with the Ford Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol, USB and A2DP). This combination is capable to connect an iPhone or Ipod to the radio and control it completely from the radio and stalk control.At the moment I already own the complete Sound & Connect system so the only thing missing is a suitable Sony 6-CD radio. It may cost a lot of money but for me it worth the money.

• 1 month later...

An aftermarket headunit or parrot is probably much cheaper compared to retrofitting the original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. But there are always people (like myself) who wants to have the original system.

Last year I retrofitted a brand new 2011 S-max 6000 CD PREMIUM MP3 radio to my 2005 Focus MK2 and retrofitted the Focus MK2.5 Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system at the same time. Compared to a parrot or aftermarket headunit the original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system may have less functionality but I like the way it is fully integrated into the car.

Since yesterday I have a late 2007 Sony 6-CD radio in my car which because of the firmware (too old) is not compatible with my Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and it does not support USB. I like this radio very much but to get the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol working correctly again I have to buy a newer (at least 1 year) radio or change my Bluetooth wiring and change my Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module for an older version.

The system I want to have eventually is a 6-CD Sony combined with the Ford Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol, USB and A2DP). This combination is capable to connect an Iphone or Ipod to the radio and control it completely from the radio and stalk control.At the moment I already own the complete Sound & Connect system so the only thing missing is a suitable Sony 6-CD radio. It may cost a lot of money but for me it worth the money.

I'm in the same situation. My S-MAX was built on 26.03.2008 and had the Sony 6-CD with Bluetooth/Voicecontrol but without A2DP. Now i bought a 8M5T-19C112-BV but my Sony does not show up the USB and don't let me pair my mobile phone... :( Do you think my Sony is also to old? Is there a way to update the firmware or at least check if the firmware is to old?

Thank you and Greets from Switzerland

Marcel

On Built date 26.03.2008 the USB and A2DP functionality did not exist yet. These functions were introduced after 08.2008. I suppose your Sony is also too old for USB and A2DP.

Sony radio's which are built before 08.2008 do have older firmware which do not support USB and A2DP. The firmware version can be shown by pressing the 1 and 6 button simultaneously until a number of codes is being shown. These number of codes consists of different hardware and software/firmware numbers. the firmware version looks like:

04-03-XX , 04-04-XX or 04-05-XX = No USB and A2DP support.

05-04-XX, 05-03-XX = USB and A2DP support.

For USB and A2DP support the firmware version must start with a 5. As far as I know there is no possibility to update the firmware of these Sony radio's.

I solved my non functioning Bluetooth/Voicecontrol problem for the moment by temporarily fitting an older module and some minor changes of the wiring. In the meantime I am searching for a newer Sony 6CD DAB radio or a Travelpilot FX sat nav.

Thank you. So this means I've to look for a newer Sony too... :( Do you know if it's possible to change the language of the radio if i buy one from eBay world wide? Ah and the newer ones do have antenna diversity. Is there a solution with an adapter or how does this fit without the second antenna?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club