Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Replace The Blade On A 58 Plate Mondeo Key

22ssingh

I have just bought a 2nd hand key with the transponder and circuit board inside, and want to take out my transponder and blade and circuit board out of my one and put it in the one I bought becuase I dropped my original key and it cracked on side, does anyone know how to get the blade part open? I got the battery side opened but can't seem to get the blade part opened

I have attached a picture of the key style I have

post-44748-0-17579400-1373234837_thumb.j

If you look at the base of the blade there is a small hollow pin that needs drifting out in order to allow the blade to be separated from the hinge.

I can't actually open the plastic part to get the blade out, that's the problem I'm having

If you flip the key open and then fold it back in slightly you'll see the pin right at the base of the blade.

It's partly obscured by the key casing but is accessible.

2013-07-07232115.png

Wow I feel really stupid now, thanks. But do you know if there's a way I can actually open the plastic part to get the transponder out? Otherwise if I just put my blade into the new key, I will have to link the key to my car and I don't know how to do that

If you graft in a new blade it will save you having to swap transponders over.

If you do want to swap transponders then it's probably the case of gentle levering with a screwdriver blade to seperate the pins and clips.

The transponder in your key is a small flat grey plastic chip.

I have tried to open the key for hours with a flat blade screwdriver but all I've done is scratched it and damaged it, it seems like it's not meant to be opened its so stiff, the battery part opened really easily

You may well find that the plastic pins holding the two sides together are heat sealed or glued.

Probably swapping the blades is the best bet.

If I put my blade into it, do you know how to set it up with my car?

How badly is the blade head damaged?

Is it too far gone to transfer to the new button part?

If you want to set the new key up to your car then it's necessary to get an auto locksmith to do it.

The transponder has to be programmed to the car using an IDS terminal and the new blade cut if you can't transfer the existing blade.

Best to ring a couple explaining your situation and get quotes first.

They may know a better way to swap chips, central locking circuits and blades over to the new case.

For the love of all things holy, don't ask at a Ford dealers as they won't touch keys they haven't supplied themselves and will clean you out to the tune of about £350.

Their trick is to supply a new key, charge an hours labour, insist on a diagnostic and then charge to cut and code the key then call in a mobile locksmith that will do it for them in less than 10 minutes (probably the one you'd call out yourself).

You'll probably save £280 by sorting it out yourself, most likely even more if all they have to do is swap components from your broken key to the new case.

Thanks, so the key can't be programmed by myself if I transfer the old blade to the new key? That's why it really would've been helpful if I just get the key open and put my own transponder into it. Does anyone know how to open these keys? Or if they actually do open?

Had a look around and according to FordWiki there's two tabs holding the blade end together-

SA400020.jpg

If they break apparently superglue is perfectly good for holding everything together firmly.

Just watch out as there is a spring in the end of the case.

Do you have a link for that page? I really appreciate your help

If you search for Ford wiki you'll find it ok.

The forum blocks links to that site unfortunately.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club