Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Light Wire Colour On A Focus Mk 2.5

lionhart_27

wondering if anyone can help me here, im wanting to wire up some led foot wells to the side lights. So they come on when my sidelights are switched on. I managed to strip the car enough to feed the wires through but im not sure which wire or wires control the sidelights? Therefore not sure which to connect to. Can anyone help me out please?

I have uploaded a couple images of the control block from behind the headlight control switch if thats of help at all to anyone. Cheers

post-45048-0-97503500-1373235964_thumb.j

post-45048-0-46803500-1373235985_thumb.j

That's your OBD port, you don't want to wire anything to that or you could damage your car.

If you look to the links below this post there is a guide for swapping light switches over on your car.

If you pull the light switch forward then you'll find the 16 pin connector there.

Number 16 (as you look at the connector from the front) is the live feed for the numberplate lights.

If you connect to that one then the footwell lights will come on with sidelights active.

Thanks for shedding some light on that pal. Will give that a go today

Pin 16 is the bottom left one when looking at the connector block from the front.

Any ideas on where i can connect the negative to?

I understand its the bottom most left one that il connect the positive wire to?

post-45048-0-29415300-1373277629_thumb.j

Negative goes to pretty much any naked piece of metal.

If you havent already done it, I would recommend to make life easier, do the illuminated ignition barrel, then you can wire the negative off there, and then the positive also. So that when the courtesy lights are on, footwell and barrel are on, then you can splice the positive into pin 16 and then you have them also when sidelights are on.

I managed to connect the lives but im having a bit of trouble with the earth. Theres an earth just under the drivers door covers which had something earthed there already. I tried to loosen it but the cars trip computer totally switched off. Is it safe to earth it to this bolt?

Also I would have done the ignition barrel but mines covered and not in use anyway. I have the push button start :)

You can earth to any metal body part.

Finally done !!! Lots of fiddling around but done :)

fit these door sills while I was at it, thats two more mods out of the day :)

post-45048-0-89217300-1373313306_thumb.j

This is with them powered. Will upload a better picture in a little while!

post-45048-0-89217300-1373313306_thumb.j

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated! :D

Sorry wrong one got uploaded in last post

post-45048-0-88423000-1373313539_thumb.j

you may get pulled for them at night when driving ive got mine through the courtesy light instead as mr plod was none too happy in his words it was like the cockpit of a stealth bomber driving down the road and a distraction other than that it was a pain in the rear to see out the bloomin window as you could see the constant glow instead

.They dont glow as bright as shown in the picture. The light stays in the footwell area. Had them in my last car too. I had blinding xenons in my last car too lol. No one really cares. They even pass MOT.

If only the plod was as leniant up here mind you ive got front and rear footwells as well as front kick plates all wired up and the ignition ring and the door handles lol so i think mines a bit brighter lol

Haha, like a spaceship! I was thinking about those door handle leds. They seem cool and pretty straight forward to fit.

May I suggest that you do fit a switch to the footwell lights so they can be switched off while headlights are still on and the vehicle is moving.

Some of my bretheren may not understand the cool factor and insist on them being disconnected on the spot.