Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Induction Kit

jacksargent93

Can someone be helpful and link me to a cost affective and suitable induction kit for my 05 plate focus 1.6 petrol. I would really appreciate it!

Also a suitable and of course cost affective back box for my car (I believe back box is the right term) If I say exhaust you might think I mean the whole system.... I dont know, I'm willing to learn!

Anyway thanks a lot in advance :) Jack

Is it a mk1 or a mk2?

Mk2 i think theres no induction kit that will give you any extra power in fact with heat soak youll lose power if you really want one pipercross or k&n do them as for back box no such luck the exhaust is one piece from the cat back im afraid

Wow - thats really annoying... So there is nothing I can do?

the truth is induction kits dont give more power and theres been doubts as to how much damage they cause to the engine even with a cold air feed the heat soak from the engine will do you no good you can fit a pipercross or kn ppanel filter or green cotton they all do panel filters for the car

From what i understand, as above, induction kits dont really help much. Due to the technology of mordern cars, With things like MAFs MAPs etc, if you change the set up, the sensors pick this up and alter the air fuel mixture accordingly to keep it the same, which basicaly defeats all the work and money you spend.

This is especially true with diesels, although they can have a few changes, such as larger intercoolers and decat pipes to help cool the air after the MAF and allow better exhaust gas escaping, which also has a small effect on better flow with the turbo. I dont know enough about the petrol models to make comments about specific changes.

K&n filters and pipercross are often mentioned, in alot of cases i have read, they seem to be more of a placebo effect as you get a louder sound from the engine. There is mention that due to the K&n needing oiling and the pipercross being foam and possibly soaking up moisture that these two filters can have detrimental effects, but there is alot of debate about that.

The majority of people tend to stick to standard paper filters and just change them a little more often.

My onw personal oppinion is to stick to the paper filters.

As to the reasons i have mentioned above, These are from what i have read through several forums not from my experience, my own personal experiences are from diesel mondeos (so no need for anyone to start arguing with me to say im wrong :lol: )

With regards to the exhaust system, I dont know how its set up so I will go with the above that it is one piece. However, I would have thought there will be a custom exhaust maker out there that makes a whole piece unit that can help with the flow of the gases.

k and n have a you tube video where they doused mafs in oil and it didnt cause any problems this was a debate with vw where the dealers blamed the filter oil so k and n asked owners to send the mafs to them for testing by an independant teater and they were found to be functioning k and n gaurantee from testing that even if you pour a tub of oil on the maf it will still work ive always used them and never had an issue ever most of it is dealers trying to scaremonger customers given the focus st filter is made by k and n i think that says enough

Im not trying to argue, just to find out and encourage discusion.

This video is made by K&N so obviously it will be biased to make their products sound good, is there any official independant results confirming these results.

Also is there evidence that the K&Ns improve mpg and performance or do they just make the engine sound louder?

truth is theres no sure way to know but ive had the maf issue when i had the passat it was sent to k and n uk who sent it to bba who tested it and sent back the maf and report saying it was working and had passed all tests k and n have had independant testing done on there filters all the major companies use them for a reason and have done for many years they wont increase mpg by much if any at all but they allow better airflow to the engine so a cleaner burn its each to there own mate and up to you what you want to do just stay away from universal filters or induction kits like apiro etc

truth is theres no sure way to know but ive had the maf issue when i had the passat it was sent to k and n uk who sent it to bba who tested it and sent back the maf and report saying it was working and had passed all tests k and n have had independant testing done on there filters all the major companies use them for a reason and have done for many years they wont increase mpg by much if any at all but they allow better airflow to the engine so a cleaner burn its each to there own mate and up to you what you want to do just stay away from universal filters or induction kits like apiro etc

well at least it will show the people who swear the fancy filters create loads more mpg up :)

I agree the induction kits and universal kits arent worth it.

The apiro kits sell at £70 when tested they were so poorly made they fell apart during the test lets be honest if they worked manufacturers would fit them as standard not even the mustang gt500 has one the standard airbox is the best bet .

A mates honda civic was dynod with a closed induction kit and the results were not what he expected when the panel filter and airbox were put on tge bhp went up and with an aftermarket panel filter in the airbox went up again by 1.3bhp not a lot but tge induction kit showed 12bhp less than standard

As for the exhaust there are companies who will cut the exhaust and fit a new backbox but its not cheap either and just as well getting a cat back

better still, get shut and buy a more powerful car :D

better still, get shut and buy a more powerful car :D

Thats probably the best idea - there are things you can do, but they are liable to cost a lot of money and/ or not increase the power much (its easy to make it louder though, if thats what you really want)

I had a look around and i found this -

"The 1.6-litre Mk2 Focus petrol engine produces 113bhp and 114lb/ft of torque. This leads to disappointing performance with the car accelerating from 0-60mph in 11 seconds and on to a top speed of 114mph. And it needs to be revved hard to get the most out of the 16 valve engine, but this leads to poor fuel economy. A better option would be a diesel model which – while having similar acceleration and top speed – will have more pulling power and be better for overtaking and hill-climbing, while being more economical. However, the five-speed gearbox on the petrol is incredibly sleek and changing up and down is as smooth as any hatchback in its class.

Buyers wanting performance can seek out the 152mph Focus ST, which is regarded as one of the UK’s best hot hatches."

^^

And that must be the 115hp ti-vct, the other 1.6L petrol has only got 100Hp (11.9 secs to 60) - 1270kgs, not massively heavy, but 100kgs more than the equivelant mk1 Focus and a lot heavier than a Fiesta

I have the 1.6 100 bhp petrol. It's a good family car. Not the fastest.

If you want speed I'd get a new car!

1.6 ti vct is 113bhp 114ftlb torque 0-60 10.5 seconds but all the torque is available at just 2100 rpm unlike other models where its only available at 6000 rpm makes it very easy for overtaking and trust m e a standard diesel focus untuned cant beat it in a straight line it doesnt need revved hard to be honest unlike the standard 1.6 which does the standard 1.6 is 98bhp less torque at 6000rpm and 0-60 time of 11.8 seconds but none the less i think he wants the noise since its standard boy racer bolt on items not saying you are but thats typically what they bolt on if youre a young newish driver youre insurance will slap you in the face for adding those items

if i had the cash ide just buy the kia ceed gt lol

201bhp 1.6 turbo charged petrol with 6 speed manual 265nm torque at 1750 rpm 0-60 7.4 secs with electric motor assisted steering 7 year warranty massive spec and 19,995

if i had the cash ide just buy the kia ceed gt lol

201bhp 1.6 turbo charged petrol with 6 speed manual 265nm torque at 1750 rpm 0-60 7.4 secs with electric motor assisted steering 7 year warranty massive spec and 19,995

Never even knew such a car existed - with only 265nm/ 195ft-lbs i would probably find it a bit "gutless" myself (compared to what im used to), ive got a feeling they had to mess with the steering because it was "lifeless" and light (3 different "weights")

i found this -

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1300940&mid=0&i=0&nmt=RE%3A+Kia+Pro%5FCee%27d+GT%3A+Review&mid=0

I could not find the 50-70 in top figure of the cee'd gt (to add to my list) -

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43835-fastest-quickest-acceleration-50-70mph-in-top-50-seconds-mondeo-vs-supercars-hot-hatches/?hl=acceleration

The thing about something like a Ford ST, is its a drivers car, and the steering, handling and ride are nicely balanced

The only issue with the st like all fords is warranty and build quality of all the kia owners i know none have been unhappy an examole was a rattle from behind the dash they gave my mate a courtesy car and spent 5 days removing the whole dash to tighten a bracket then valet the car in and out and returned it all no charge ford just wouldnt do that

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jacksergent.

I have the mk 2 1.6 focus and fitted a k & n induction kit with heat shielding between it & the engine and fitted ducting from the bottom far left side to feed the filter with cool air,even so i have noticed a drop in power & i am going back to the standard air doesn't sound as good but the benefits out way the great noise.

• Like 2

Well thats good to hear - I have decided to upgrade just the filter to a Green Cotton one - Lenny says they are good and I will take his word for it. So im going to get a refund on my kit and just upgrade the filter to new one! Cheers guys :)

• Like 1

Ive got a k+n panel on mine feels much better than the orignal panel filter and the universal induction kit i had fitted aswell, i have found the same on my last three cars, currently a 1.6 16v 100hp focus i feel much more torque around 3000 rpm

As for the rear box have a look a cybox on eBay they do just the rear pipe, and come pretty recomended on vaux forums

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club