Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2L Tdci Fault - Help!

fordmondeogirl

not much fun!

If you have the trip computer, turn the ignition to 0, press and hold the reset button until further notice. Turn the key to electrics only, if it works, the dashboard will do crazy stuff, the LCD screen will blink a few times and go into diagnostic mode. You can then let go, and press the trip reset button once each time to cycle to the next menu, if it works, you should find a DTC menu followed by some numbers if there are any error codes.

I cant remember, but I know someone managed to get into the trip computer, but I cant remember if it was a retrofit from a Focus, or just a standard computer in the mondy.

Sorry I didn't get back to your fella about the alloys Jos.

This car is giving me a worse headache since then and I'm sincerely ready to drive it into the nearby canal.

Upon starting the engine I have no throttle! The time it kicks in varies from 15 seconds to 15 minutes!! I got yelled down at a busy petrol station yesterday for not moving when my engine was idling! Other than this fault the car runs great. I am totally skint at the moment! Does anyone have any ideas as to what may cause this?

The throttle pedal is not connected directly to the engine like on an earlier (older) car, but is a potentiometer a bit like the mouse on a computer- you put your foot down, and you are only asking the ECU (engine control unit/ computer aka pcm (powtrain control module)) then, the ecu decides if the engine should get more fuel (accelerate) if the car has a fault, it may decide not to, (it has sensors on the engine, that monitor all types of things) this is to protect the engine from damage again, "limp" mode (limp home mode) is exactly that, if the ecu senses a problem that could potentially damage the engine, it runs it at a reduced level, to reduce damage to the engine but you can still "limp home" - once you have fixed whatever is wrong the throttle should respond as normal - it is also possible that you just have a faulty sensor

As James has suggested, if you could find out if you have fault codes, it will help you find out what is wrong, rather than spending money you may not need to

Thanks guys for trying to help me but I'm calling it a day.

I managed to get it home after an hour stuck in a small car park with my toddler in the car.

First I had injector problems, then a blow out now this. I've decided it's cursed.

It's going on eBay at the weekend.

Should anyone on here fancy taking it off my hands give me a private message. I'm in Leigh Lancashire.

It's a 5 door 2004 Ford Mondeo 2l tdci 130bhp hatchback.

No I'm sorry. I will have a look if I get time but after yesterday I was too fuming with it to bother. I just kicked it instead. £1695 down the drain hurts :-(

I have a fault reader, if you wish and haven't sold it yet, I don't mind the short drive over there to have a look at it for you.

And the offer has no bearing on your wheels, lol.

It doesn't sound like 'Limp mode' because you could still drive it, albeit below 50.

Just let me know if you want a hand, Mondys are generally great cars and I have no problem giving assistance when and where I can. :-)

I know how you feel. I certainly wouldnt touch another 1. Ive got mines running nearly 100% the way it should,& still getting rid of it. Biggest headaches on rd. ask ANY car dealer why they dont like buying/selling em & every1 will say its just not worth the hassle. They always tend to return with fairly high monetery repairs ie injectors,pump etc.

Next cars' definitely gonna be one built in germany(bmw/audi,&def not a golf)!.

Feel for you,as the stress can be unbearable

I've had this one for 5 years, my previous one for 4 years and my next will be another one.

Best car for the money in it's class.

Ah well. Glad some folk like em. Sell u mines cheap.brand new box/injectors

Outta curiosity how many miles have you done in yours in the past 6 months

Not many, but it's approaching 200,000 and I'm not scared to use it. :-)

The problem with any car is, if its owner doesn't look after it, it'll likely become unreliable.

I don't mean it's your fault, more likely the previous owner.

Not many, but it's approaching 200,000 and I'm not scared to use it. :-)

The problem with any car is, if its owner doesn't look after it, it'll likely become unreliable.

I don't mean it's your fault, more likely the previous owner.

There's a lot in that one,i'll give you that;)

I rarely buy low mileage cars, with or without service history.
Cars that have been pilotted up and down motorways with higher miles have usually had less stresses than their low mileage counterparts. I once bought a car with 249,000 miles on it, that one lasted me 4 years too, lol.

I've never understood the mentality that we should buy a car that hasn't been used for the things it was designed for. These things are built to cruise at speed and a lot more comfortably than their German cousins and with a much less wallet pounding price, lol.

You know Mondeos of this age all have timing chains, not belts. Reasonable maintenance and they are good for many more miles than mine.

I've had this one for 5 years, my previous one for 4 years and my next will be another one.

Best car for the money in it's class.

Agreed, ive owned BMWs VWs etc - ive kept the Mondeo the longest

The Mondeo TDDI is a lot tougher/ more reliable than the TDCI, the Delphi injectors were never designed for modern, low sulphor diesel

There are Mondeo TDDIs with 330k+ and still running - brilliant car, fast, economical for the power, reliable, practical, good handling, etc - it will be difficult to replace - probably with a mk4 2.2 or a BMW 330D, but there is probably a few years left in it yet and im not even finished with the modifications

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club