Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Name: Victoria
  • Ford Model: focus st wannabe!!!
  • Year: 2010

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

We carry a full sized spare tyre when going on long journeys but it takes up half of the boot depth,
Most of the time we carry a foam kit and have AA Road side assistance for 120 euro per year saves a few mpg not carrying the spare plus more boot space not having to carry the full sized spare wheel. I like the peace of mind the AA cover gives too

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

We carry a full sized spare tyre when going on long journeys but it takes up half of the boot depth,
Most of the time we carry a foam kit and have AA Road side assistance for 120 euro per year saves a few mpg not carrying the spare plus more boot space not having to carry the full sized spare wheel. I like the peace of mind the AA cover gives too

Good idea - ive got a "premium get you home" insurance that will take me, my car (and its contents) home/ or to one location (garage/ scrap yard :lol: ) anywhere in the UK (from lands end to john-o-groats, apparently, not sure about Ireland) - it does this for no extra charge - it also works with any car as long as i have the (credit card sized) card (i got it for free(work))  

Whats the AA one like?

PS i don't normally carry a spare, just a floor pump (mechanicat/ does not flatten battery/ waste battery power) and a tin of tyreweld to reduce weight - but in snow/ winter i carry a full size 16" steel wheel (same as the 4 winter 16" steelies on the car) to add weight to the car - but i put it behind the seat to get the weight forward  for more front-end grip/ traction

The "premium insurance" card weighs nothing the floor pump and tyre weld weigh 1.2kgs together, so a lot lighter than the 20kgs spare/jack/ brace - apart from the economy i recon it knocks about 1/2 a second off the 0-60mph (0-100kph) with the extra grip when im trying to put the 360NM down through the front wheels with no traction control!

The tyreweld has been in the car for years - i just noticed its 400ml and i need 500ml for my 16" tyres d-oh  - i wonder if anyone else made this mistake?       

#18 Philf1

Philf1

Ford until I die!

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,556 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

My car came with the tyreweld stuff took it out and sold it on ebay and bought a wheel and jack and even the moulded bit for inside the wheel again off ebay, tyre still had the chalk lines on it, fantastic deal for less than £90, Ford wanted something like £250. Itmight weigh a bit more but peace of mind is more important to me.

#19 VickiW

VickiW

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Name: Victoria
  • Ford Model: focus st wannabe!!!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

My lenny and the chap that ownes aa seem to be only people that carry full spare!!!

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,467 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Good idea - ive got a "pet you home" insurance that will take me, my car (and its contents) home/ or to one .cation (garage/ scrap yard :lol: ) anywhere in the UK (from lands end to john-o-groats, apparently, not sure about Ireland) - it does this for no extra charge - it also works with any car as long as i have the (credit card sized) card (i got it for free(work))  

Whats the AA one like?

PS i don't normally carry a spare, just a floor pump (mechanicat/ does not flatten battery/ waste battery power) and a tin of tyreweld to reduce weight - but in snow/ winter i carry a full size 16" steel wheel (same as the 4 winter 16" steelies on the car) to add weight to the car - but i put it behind the seat to get the weight forward  for more front-end grip/ traction

The "premium insurance" card weighs nothing the floor pump and tyre weld weigh 1.2kgs together, so a lot lighter than the 20kgs spare/jack/ brace - apart from the economy i recon it knocks about 1/2 a second off the 0-60mph (0-100kph) with the extra grip when im trying to put the 360NM down through the front wheels with no traction control!

The tyreweld has been in the car for years - i just noticed its 400ml and i need 500ml for my 16" tyres d-oh  - i wonder if anyone else made this mistake?       

I've made that mistake foca
I've got a 500ml can but now rolling 18s
The AA card is the same as what you have and covers the named card holder in any car weather they own it or not.

My lenny and the chap that ownes aa seem to be only people that carry full spare!!!

Ah jeer sneer
You can use the foam next time then, don't call me or Conor faughan (AA Ireland managing Director) he was on radio one day recommending people join AA Road side assistance but they should also carry a full sized spare lol
I.e. pay me subscription but when it comes to calling: use the spare I told you to carry

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

^^ years ago the AA were going to charge you if you called them after ran out of fuel, i wonder what they do now ^^

#22 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Full sized brand new spare in the boot  B)

Never used jack in the boot  B)

Security wheel nut socket still in original Ford bag in the boot  B)

NO WHEEL BRACE THOUGH!!!  :o  :blink:  :wacko:

Must get that sorted ASAP. 

#23 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Full sized brand new spare in the boot  B)

Never used jack in the boot  B)

Security wheel nut socket still in original Ford bag in the boot  B)

NO WHEEL BRACE THOUGH!!!  :o  :blink:  :wacko:

Must get that sorted ASAP. 

Heres one -

http://www.ebay.co.u...74#ht_140wt_932

A 19mm socket and bar from a big socket set would fill in in the meantime - (but does not clip onto the jack like the original one does)

Its funny, once you have the brace you will never get a puncture, like if you are carry-ing  an umbrella it never rains -

Or you never get a nail through your "almost bald" tyre/s - just your best one/s    :lol:

seriously - I suppose you make your own luck, like if you use the tyre with the slow puncture for a spare (then forgetteng about it) - its going to be flat when you need it (ok - im guilty of that!)   

#24 Turvey

Turvey

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Year: 2005

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

(but does not clip onto the jack like the original one does)

Funny how much difference a throw-away comment like that can make! 

Had another(decent) look in the boot and found the original brace still attached to the jack!  :)

Thanks for that  B)

#25 Daelpix

Daelpix

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.4 TDCI 3dr

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

In the last 3 cars I've owned all had a spare tyre in. But my current car doesn't. Always had a puncture near home, So I would able to drive it home. My last car had a very slow puncture.

I might decide to buy a spare sometime

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users