Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S Max Cooling Fan

paulsto

Hi

I have a cooling fan which is not running although the motor is ok when tested. I have traced the fault to what I think is a relay screwed onto the fan housing. (pics attached)

post-33387-0-36810900-1373993281_thumb.jpost-33387-0-00065600-1373993296_thumb.jpost-33387-0-21632700-1373993309_thumb.j

This is apparently not available as a spare part only with the fan.

Can anyone tell me what the part is actually called, if it is standard across the range and if it's repairable

Thanks

Paul

might be better to ask on the smax forum itself,but be prepared they will only give info if you pay to become a full member there.as most of there info is locked.

can you call a few scrappies and see if you can pick one up from there?

Been trying scrappies but they don't want to separate it from the fan. Looks like a whole unit.

Was thinking maybe Ford used this part somewhere else in their range.

Any ideas gratefully received

try the CMAX and Galaxy? they shouldnt be too different...

if you have a part number for the part you have we can have a look and see if anything else shares it?

Thanks jeebowhite

The only numbers on it you can see on the pic I uploaded but I think that maybe these are not part numbers.

Any help......

Part Number appears to be: 940002904

is this the engine fan your referring to?

if so looking at this (not sure its the right engine) but it does show that the fan is one unit with no other parts:

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1200758&s_id_model=118

what engine is it?

On the plus side, both the SMAX and Galaxy are grouped together on this catalog, suggesting that the parts are the same. I would say you may find yourself best off looking for the parts in either car...?

Hi Guys

it's the small box which mounts by one screw on the fan housing. Ford told me that the number was not a part number.

It's a 2 litre petrol. The box appears to be a connector with live and earth. The live is ok both sides but the earth is not passing through. It is moulded and doesn't look to come apart.

Thanks for trying guys

well that part returns two possibilities

1) blower regulator

2) Car Fan Resistor

If it is attached to the fan, then your probably going to need to replace it as one unit...

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_unit&s_id_grp=1210778&s_id_model=118

None of those seem to show this part seperately

Serious thanks for your efforts. More than guy at Fords was able to tell me.

So I guess its back to looking for a bent S max with a cooling fan intact ( not been able to find one as yet)

Thanks again guys

No worries, and yeah they are difficult to find as they are newer so are not yet written off.

Go to an online brokers, you pop your details in and your request goes to enrolled parties across the UK, if they have one in stock, then they let you know a price.

Been doing that for days. None about. Only one I found GOT LOST BY ROYAL MAIL!!!

Thanks again

:| well done Royal Mail!

Erm, how do you know the cooling fan isn't working. Has your engine temperature actually reached the point where the fan is supposed to kick in? Which is about 110-115deg C if I recall correctly.

Despite all the heat we have had & the number of traffic jams I have sat in recently, I've not seen the temp on my S-max go above 95 deg yet.

Hi

just had MOT and was told then fan not working. Twice since stuck in traffic and needle heading well towards the RED bit. Popped bonnet and fan defo not working but you can hear clicking. That I think is it switching.

There is live through the relay (?) thing but no earth at the business end. My auto elec bloke said it was the relay but now I'm not so sure. Ford don't seem think there's anything in there to fail so gonna try the relay in the fuse box next.

• 8 months later...

Hello again guys.

Still not found a relay (or whatever it is). Just been into local dealers. What a waste of time) so I thought I'd ask here.

I can locate said item at a local scrappy but it's off a diesel. Anyone know if it's a comparable part. Other option seems to be unit off a Kuga. Again does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

should be comparable, its part of the electrics and not the mechanics so I dont see why you couldnt just use it.

It seems to have the same part number but could there be any internal setting that are different and could cause issue, difficult to know I guess?

Hi everybody and thanks for the effort.

Short answer is NO! I was told quite categorically by 3 Ford main dealers that it is the same part for diesel or petrol. Even gave them genuine reg. nos. to be absolutely sure. Armed with this info I went to my local scrappie who had 2 S max in the yard and removed BOTH parts for me to try. (Both diesel). No luck I'm afraid so until I have a spare £270 for the complete arrangement to buy and then extra to have it fitted I am fitting a switch by the steering wheel to operate the fan if/when it overheats.

Thanks again guys.

• 9 years later...

I have just been through this with my daughter's S Max.  Hers is a 2014 model petrol with twin radiator fans.  In her case one of the fans wouldn't turn off, it stayed on and drained the battery.

Ford advised that the controller was only available as a complete unit with the fans for £750 plus VAT and then you have the cost of removing hte radiator to remove the fans and replace, i.e. a couple of hours of labour to add to the bill.

In  her case there was a label attached to the controller unit and by searching on that number we found a number of suppliers on eBay offering the same part for £25.  We took a punt on one and bought it and after a five minute job fitting it, the fan was working again.

I've just done a search on the part number you have listed aboe (940002904) and the same thing, plenty of eBay sellers offering the part for around £20.

Rgds Ian

8 hours ago, Ian1948 said:

I've just done a search on the part number you have listed aboe (940002904) and the same thing, plenty of Ebay sellers offering the part for around £20.

That is probably because this thread is over 9 years old. The OP was searching for parts in July 2013 🤔

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club