Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving On Poor Quality Roads: Suggestions?

ernesteng

I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations as to how to improve the ride quality.

The roads around my area are generally poor and my S-Max thuds about when going through potholes (some of them quite deep) and bumps, even at low speeds of ~15 mph.

Otherwise, the occasional journey on motorways and most A roads is generally good, although I'd say there's always room for road grip to improve.

Wheels and tires are the factory standard 17" alloys. Vehicle has clocked about ~20k miles.

Is it worth changing the OE shock absorbers, and if so what should I change them to?

Suspension springs are probably the best thing to change, maybe to a more absorbent variety.

Couldn't really advise on which shock absorbers to go for, but between the two you should be able to get a better ride.

Err, don't drive over potholes.

IF you think your Smax has issues, you should try my smart roadster.

The alloys are so soft that if you hit a pothole badly the wheels buckle. I have got very good at spotting & avoiding potholes after 3 costly wheel repairs.

• Like 1

Whilst I can see where 137699 is coming from, I think its a valid comment, but at the same time, not quite as easy done as is said.

I also try to avoid potholes, but I know from personal experience, that trying to dance around a pothole can be very dangerous. This could result in swerving into oncoming traffic, slipping into another stream of traffic on the same road (motorway) and on some roads, you would be playing pingpong with the white lines just to avoid any number of potholes that may appear ahead of you.

Whilst the comment is valid (it certainly is best to avoid potholes) it should certainly be advised that you should do so carefully and without putting yourself, or any other road user at risk, its better to hit a pothole than a Mercedes SLK afterall! or for that matter, a pedestrian or cyclist.

Suspension springs are probably the best thing to change, maybe to a more absorbent variety.

Couldn't really advise on which shock absorbers to go for, but between the two you should be able to get a better ride.

+1

may also be worth smaller rims with higher profile tyres to soften the ride

S-Max hovercraft?

Would certainly be an interesting build thread :-P

+1

may also be worth smaller rims with higher profile tyres to soften the ride

Exactly what i was going to say - a set of 16" rims with 205-55-16 tyres has a much better ride than the equivelant 17" or 18" wheel/ tyre.

The sidewalls are deeper on the 16" meaning you are less likely to damage the rims (or break a spring) - better for kerbs and speed bumps as well

• 4 weeks later...

Got same issue and looking to change rear shocks. They are squeaking now! Any recommendations - thinking of Bilstein 19-170206...