Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought 2002 Focus 1.8Tdci, Few Minor Problems

Chevie

Hi all

I bought this focus about 3 weeks ago and I'm seriously happy with it, especially the mpg. So I've noticed a few problems and was hoping to get some answers. I had my car in the garage last week and got a nice quote on the near side drive shaft to be replaced at £190, that's £85 for the drive shaft £35 for tracking and the rest is labour.

As I don't have that kind of money I was wondering could I do it my self and what tools will i need?

I can borrow tools and I've got a Haynes manual.

Also when doing 50 mph and above I seem to be forever correcting my steering and its really hard to keep it in a straight line, the tracking does need doing so could it be that?

When starting the car for the first time i have to keep the key turned as it seems to struggle and strike up 2nd turn if that makes sence?

And finally I'm going to give the car a service, fuel filter, oil filter, oil ect. Is there anything else I could do? Brakes don't need bleeding they feel sharp.

If the any of you kind people could help in any way i would be most grateful

Thanks

Chev

PS. If any of you kind people could recommend places to buy parts from at a reasonable price, that would be most grateful

Most likely is the tracking / alignment that is the steering issue, but as you say it needs doing so no doubr that will be part of it.

As for the key, it sounds like the car is being starved, is there any sort of service history? if so, when was the last fuel filter replacement? I see your already planning one, so that is a good place to go!

I would say check the service history and see what has been done over the last few years, then go to etis.ford.com and pop your number plate in, generate a service schedule and do the nearest Major Service (or as much as you can yourself!)

As for the parts, start off by looking at eurocarparts and carparts4less. These two are the same family of parts providers and have an excellent value for money. Otherwise if cost is an issue, look on eBay and you may find slightly lesser quality, but of course the price is reflected.

search for J&R driveshafts on eBay, i got both nearside and offside driveshafts for a total of £56 including shipping, theyre good quality and comes with a 2 year warranty. i havent heard of any bad reviews of them either (they also have a 100% feedback)

as for changing it its not that difficult, the hardest part is just to get the ball joints and driveshaft retaining nuts off. for the retaining nuts they can be removed if you have an impact gun or you can pop the centre cap off and leave the car on the ground, and use a nice big breaker bar to get the nut loose. for the ball joint you can either hammer through the suspension arm to get it off or use them ball joint remover tools. you should also use a nice big prybar to pop it off and also for poping out the driveshafts. make sure to keep a oil pan underneath as some gearbox oil will drip out. then its a simple pop out and pop in the new ones and connect everything back up.

Buy the parts youreself then have them fit them £190 is okay given youll need gearbox oil new driveshaft seals cv boot if youre doing it youre as well replacing these parts if all thats included ide go for it

As above the easiest way to release ball joint and track rod joint is get the nuts off all the way first then with a 2ib hammer give the side a sharp blow and they will drop out to release the bottom joint once you have broke the bond is get a lever under the wish bone and it will come away wil take minutes putting them back in you will get so far with the nylon nuts then it wil just spin you can either use a ring spanner and Allen key in the top of joint or careful put a trolley jack under the joint to add some pressure whilst you tighten the nut (make sure axle stands are under the car) the bottom ball joint is a bit more awkward due to space between nut and cv joint that's the one I usually apply a little pressure under sounds a bit complicated but its not as you will see should take you half hour tops putting my 2.0 back together tomorrow so will try an take photos of reassemble of drive shaft for you so you can see what we mean .

Hi guys, sorry for the long delay in replying, been away with my lad and only just had time to reply.

Well I've sourced a ford mechanic form a local garage who will do the cv joint for £114 all in but then i will have to get the tracking done so it's going to cost £150 in total. I know i'm only saving £40 but that's £40 I haven't actually got so I'm happy with that. Plus he's gunna have a look at the starting issue as well

I would of loved to tackle it my self but as i have my lad in the car alot i don't want risk any accident

I'll keep you informed on the progress

And thanks for your reply's its very much appreciated

Chev

Hi guys, sorry for the long delay in replying, been away with my lad and only just had time to reply.

Well I've sourced a ford mechanic form a local garage who will do the cv joint for £114 all in but then i will have to get the tracking done so it's going to cost £150 in total. I know i'm only saving £40 but that's £40 I haven't actually got so I'm happy with that. Plus he's gunna have a look at the starting issue as well

I would of loved to tackle it my self but as i have my lad in the car alot i don't want risk any accident

I'll keep you informed on the progress

And thanks for your reply's its very much appreciated

Chev

• 2 weeks later...
Well............................

I've had the ford guy look at the car, he said the dif has gone or a tooth or 2 has gone thats why the steering doesnt know which way it wants to go at speed and I'm always correcting my steering, that will also be the knocking when on full lock.

He said its defiantly not the drive shaft as its already been replaced and not so long ago because the sticker is still shiny and if that had done 82k it wouldn't be there.

He also said about the car not starting when cold could be the clutch, on these cars they have a rubber bush or something that deteriorates and people replace them with the solid ones???

Basically in a nut Shell I have been totally taken for a mug and got ripped off.

I know there's never a good time for a car to go wrong but this really couldn't come at worst time, meant to be relocating to Lincoln and move in with the missus so she can go uni so its either use the deposit money and don't move in or move Lincoln an not see my son as much as I planned!

Honestly never would have thought a car could decide what I do with my life

Chev

Hi all
I bought this focus about 3 weeks ago and I'm seriously happy with it, especially the mpg. So I've noticed a few problems and was hoping to get some answers. I had my car in the garage last week and got a nice quote on the near side drive shaft to be replaced at £190, that's £85 for the drive shaft £35 for tracking and the rest is labour.
As I don't have that kind of money I was wondering could I do it my self and what tools will i need?
I can borrow tools and I've got a Haynes manual.
Also when doing 50 mph and above I seem to be forever correcting my steering and its really hard to keep it in a straight line, the tracking does need doing so could it be that?
When starting the car for the first time i have to keep the key turned as it seems to struggle and strike up 2nd turn if that makes sence?
And finally I'm going to give the car a service, fuel filter, oil filter, oil ect. Is there anything else I could do? Brakes don't need bleeding they feel sharp.
If the any of you kind people could help in any way i would be most grateful
Thanks
Chev
PS. If any of you kind people could recommend places to buy parts from at a reasonable price, that would be most grateful

Always check tire conditions,often cause vehicles to wonder.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club