Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modding/warranty

mark_a_thorpe

Hi all, hope you can help!

This is my first new car, so the rules behind the warranty and modding are new to me too.

What can I change without buggering my warranty? I've seen a post about new white ford gel badges for example - is that ok?

What about new wheels? I went with the stock 15s, and wished I hadn't but I'd assume I could only replace with Ford wheels specifically for this car?

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys and gals :)

You will only affect the warranty for a specific part or section of the car if you change something directly related to it.

E.g. if you stick a new exhaust on, your exhaust warranty is gone.

If you stick a cone air filter on the engine and an error light comes on, you'd have to pay if you took it to Ford's for diagnostics.

DMB's shouldn't really affect anything unless there's such a thing as a badge warranty :P

Ahh thanks for the info!

So in the case of wheels, could they claim suspension is affected and void the warranty there?

It is quite likely that if you ever had a warranty claim on your suspension they'd try and get out of it claiming the wheels were to blame.

Really they should prove the wheels caused it, but in real life you'd have to prove the wheels weren't at fault.

whatever you do though make sure you check with ford that its alright and that they agree to the changes.

In writing verbal agreements are worthless if you ever do have a warranty claim

If it's something fairly easily interchangeable like a cone filter you could just swap the parts back when taking it to a garage

If it's something fairly easily interchangeable like a cone filter you could just swap the parts back when taking it to a garage

Yes, drivers have been fitting things like tuning boxes, Bluefins etc and swapping them back to stock for servicing for years (naughty, naughty :) ) its the advantage of these products over conventional remaps that could even be deleted during an ECU software update

Thanks everyone - good advice all round!

I'll have a think...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club