Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2L Tdci Cmax Timing Belt, Is It A Ford Belt If Original?

Swisstonihasher

Hi there,

I bought a second hand 2l TDCI cmax, great car apart from the odd problem with EGR valve. I'm wondering if my timing belt has been changed as it's not marked as a ford item, an aftermarket item I think. Has anyone changed the 2l cmax belt and found it's a ford (with ford logo) as standard before changing?

Thanks

cant say I have done the change on the timing belt, but whats up with the EGR?

I would say it may be worth blanking it, but I did the job today and its one sone of a gun to do!

cant say I have done the change on the timing belt, but whats up with the EGR?

I would say it may be worth blanking it, but I did the job today and its one sone of a gun to do!

Tried all of that, blanking and car ran sweet as till PCM lit up. Ends up I have the original egr that should of been replaced under warranty. I've got a work around, lashes of egr cleaner down the pipe and let it "clean" for a time, car runs like a dream for a while then and you can hear the egr clicking shut on switch off again, only matter of time before jams again though.

Anyone changed timing belt? Is it ford job?

changing belts is something you can do however its a rated a difficult job in the Haynes manuals, so not for the faint hearted!

I'm wondering if mine's already done as it's got a non-ford belt that I can see. It has FSH but then the ford scheudle says dont change till 10 years or 100k+ miles. I'm trying to find out if the belt on there is aftermarket, if so then dont need to change it for ages.

If it's neither ford or motor croft then I would think the former owner thought it best to reduce the risk of it snapping by replacing it sooner?

Cool, thanks. I'll double check the name but part code on the belt looks like aftermarket. I bet its more a garage told them it needs changing rather than them worrying about it snapping. I get the impression original owners were drive it and whatever needs servicing by garage gets done.

probably so, which is a good thing for the car (car gets new parts when it barely needs them) but its bad for the owners wallet!

Does the belt look new? or does it look worn down?

Looks decent, not very old, but car had a complete makeover so not sure, I'd prefer to check if branded or aftermarket to feel safe. Agree, pocket for them, great for me.

You might find the original belt is a Gates part but if in doubt I would change it. A belt may look fine but you cannot tell its true condition by looking at it