Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Volume Test

ukscotth

Hi,

I've been having intermittent problems with my 99 focus 1.8 petrol since I first got it and I think I might of just found the problem.

Ive tried to do a fuel volume test and its producing less than quarter of a pint in 30 seconds. It should be producing more than that shouldn't it ?

Also im energizing the fuel pump by taking the fuel pump fuse out and shorting the connection, I can hear the pump running when I do it so I think im doing it right, or am I ?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you need to replace the fuel filter? when was it last done?

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention the fuel filter, plugs and leads have already been changed.

the concern would then be put to either the fuel pump not delivering, or the fuel lines restricting.

If its possible you may benefit from disconnecting the hoses from the fuel filter and retest the same directly at the pump, see if the volumes differ?

Ok thanks. Am I testing the volume in the correct way ? im using a guage the same as this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281143025960

To get the pump running im pulling the fuel pump relay out and jumping 2 of the connectors, I couldn't find out which ones to jump so I took an educated guess and I can hear the pump running when I do it so I guess its right, or could I be jumping the wrong two connections ?

Not sure myself, I havent had any experience with the process I am afraid, but it sounds like a reasonable manner to complete it...?