Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Headlights

Mr Singh

one of the bulbs went on my mums focus, so i remove the headlight and see a spare unused connector, is that the connector for adaptive headlights?

IMG_0164.jpg

i havent noticed it on my uncles focus which is a few months newer than my mums

• Like 1

I believe it is, but cant say for definite. Either that, or it could be the wiring for the washer jets but that is less likely...

for bi xenon headlights if theres 10 wires and 10 pins

that plug is defiantly not for the headlamp washers. the washer jets come out with the pressure of the water once activated.

i didnt count how many wired were going in to the connector. might have to take the headlight out and check.

• 6 months later...

sorry to bump this back to the top, but i replaced the r/h headlight bulb and there isnt a connector under it. there is a connector on both sides with 2 wires going to it taped up to the wiring harness which i believe is the adaptive headlight plug, which leads me on to another question, does the car need to be programmed to it know its got adaptive headlights or is it a case of plug and play?

I never actually found out what that connector is for. It seems to be apart of the headlight wiring but it is not apart of the wiring for xenons or adaptive lighting.

Adaptive lighting and xenon uses the exact same wiring and that is a 10 pin connector all the wiring for adaptive lighting and xenons are in one connector.

There is a control module that could be the same for xenon. When the car is in xenon mode the module is called HID control module, when the car is in adaptive light mode it is called AFS control module. Since the car can be switched to xenon mode using elm this leads me to believe the module is the same and it is controlled electronically therefore it can be switched between HID or AFS mode however it is possible each module is specific

Between each mode the output of some wires change and have different functions. Each module have a different arrangement of what functions the wires are used for

7 pin connectors do not have any light control module, it is all operated by the switch

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Nanak, can you provide anymore details on the connector such as the wires colours or a clearer picture of how many wires are there? I took a look at one of my old photos of this connector, not the best photo though, although it seems the wiring on that connector in your photo is different from the wiring colours from the same connector on my car.

Here is a photo of that connector on my car

6o33fo.jpg

I will have to get a better look at this connector again soon because the colours are from my blurry photo seems similar to that of the wiring for the control module

ill have to remove the headlights to check. it'll be sunday when i get round to doing it as iv got a wedding to go to tomorrow.

could ford program the car so it knows its got adaptive lights or is it a case of plug and play? and would i need a new light switch? i know on volvos they have a different switch for the S40/V50, C30, and C70 for the ones that have adaptive headlights

For AFS light the car must be equipped with a steering angle sensor and Headlight Control Module. The steering angle sensor for AFS lights is a different type than the one which is used for the ESP system. On cars with normal halogen headlights both the AFS steering angle sensor and Headlight Control module are not present.

To retrofit AFS headlamps you need all wiring and above mentioned parts. In most cases the wiring in the engine bay is present but the wiring in the interior is missing.

• Like 1

Do you know where the headlamp control module is? Or the steering angle sensor?

On the LHD versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the Headlight Control Module is located behind the dashboard next to the steering collumn. I suppose the module should be on the same location on RHD vehicles.

hcm_zps3b874f18.jpg

Headlight Control Module location.

The steering angle sensor is located on the steering collumn. The steering angle sensor is mounted on the back of the clockspring assembly.

P2080124-1.jpg

Steering Angle Sensor.

graphic7.jpg

Steering Angle Sensor located at the back of the clockspring.

graphic4.jpg

Clockspring assembly mounted on the steering collumn.

There are 2 different types of steering angle sensor. The steering angle sensor for ESP has a 4-pole connector and is suitable for ESP only. The steering angle sensor for AFS lightning has a 6-pole connector and is suitable for both ESP and AFS lights.

• Like 1

As you talk about xenon headlamp a have one question. Can xenon headlamps use normal H7 bulb or it has to have xenon bulb? I'm talking about xeon headlamp that does not use balasts.

Tnx!

Thank you for that bit of info I have been searching for this module for a long time

As you talk about xenon headlamp a have one question. Can xenon headlamps use normal H7 bulb or it has to have xenon bulb? I'm talking about xeon headlamp that does not use balasts.

Tnx!

im not sure i follow what your sating mate.

as for the rest of the info, looks like more searching for the rest of the wiring.

A Xenon bulb has a completely different lamp socket than a H7 Halogen bulb.

Without modifications it is not possible to put a H7 Halogen into the Xenon headlamp housing.

re-reading your post, you have bought what is in essences a xenon headlight Shell i take it, if so i dont think you will be able to fit normal bulbs, as the bulb connections will be diffrent.

• 1 month later...

On the LHD versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the Headlight Control Module is located behind the dashboard next to the steering collumn. I suppose the module should be on the same location on RHD vehicles.

hcm_zps3b874f18.jpg

Headlight Control Module location.

The steering angle sensor is located on the steering collumn. The steering angle sensor is mounted on the back of the clockspring assembly.

P2080124-1.jpg

Steering Angle Sensor.

graphic7.jpg

Steering Angle Sensor located at the back of the clockspring.

graphic4.jpg

Clockspring assembly mounted on the steering collumn.

There are 2 different types of steering angle sensor. The steering angle sensor for ESP has a 4-pole connector and is suitable for ESP only. The steering angle sensor for AFS lightning has a 6-pole connector and is suitable for both ESP and AFS lights.

Hello mate!

I have a Foc 2010 with halogen lights, as a project I bought the AFS lights, but not working the AFS system.

What do you think, if I change the Headlight Control Module and the steering angle sensor with ECU update

it will work or not, because the steering angle sensor for AFS lightning has a 6-pole connector so some wire

maybe missing because the ESP has only a 4-pole connector, or I find the standard 6-pole connector back of the clockspring so just plug and play, ecu update and it will work..?! I try to find the answers, but it's difficult to me...

Thank you mate!

Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions with normal halogen headlights do not have a Headlight Control Module. In most cases the wiring for this module is also missing on cars with normal halogen lights. If your current steering angle sensor has a 4 pole connector you have to change the connector for a 6 pole connector and install the additional wiring (which probably will be missing also).

The only way to determine if your car has any wiring for the AFS lights is to compare all wiring with the schematics.

• 2 years later...

@JW1982 What's your opinion on my situation?:

I have the connectors in engine bay. The AFS module itself is missing. Microcat and also one web catalog says that I have the interior wiring present, even the steering angle sensor should be installed. See pics attached. I only checked for the AFS module, because Microcat shows both with and without when checking my VIN. Wiring and steering sensor is shown only as "with" in Microcat. I didn't yet explored this further as it's freezing here and I don't have a garage to work in :( ... but I found a pair of OEM headlights for a incredible price, so I'd like to sort this out and eventually buy them if I have a chance to get this working.

Can I expect that the wiring for AFS module is actually stuck somewhere behind the steering column and dashboard and all I have to do is plug the module in and turn the feature on in GEM? (And switch the headlights of course). Thanks for help!

AFS.JPG

steering sensor.JPG

IMG_3226.jpg