Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Open On The Dash When Its Closed ? Alarm Going Off ?

CharlieFarlie

The bonnet open warning is coming up on the dash panel on the Wifes 2009 Titanium.. This has happened a couple of times.. Cant undestand why....

Also and this may be related the blooming alarm has gone off 3 or four times over the last few days and Im wondering if the tow are related ? IE the bonnet sensor is triggering the alarm ?

Of course the two may be unrelated but I do need to sort this as the alarm went off a 1 and 3.15 this morning.....Mmmm

Thanks !

The two are related and its happened to others on here the bonnet switch will probably need replacing

+1 , check the wiring to the bonnet switch and/or replace it.

Thanks for the replies.. Does anyone have a diagram that shows the position of said switch ? I see wiring connections to the bonnet catch so assume its within the mechanism ?

Thanks again !#

Charlie.

All part of the same mechanism.

Try a good blast of spray oil first and check wires/connectors before replacing the mechanism.

• Like 2

Thanks guys appreciate the help...

Since spraying the mechanism the day I posted/asked the question no problems have occurred so hopefully I inadvertently cured he problem.. But I will take very close loot at it the weekend..

Thanks again !

Charlie.

Hell this thing is driving me mad ! Again the alarm went off twice last night so now we no longer lock the car... Need sleep ! Nieghbours unhappy to say the least !

I was trying to remove the connector and somehow managed to pull both wires out of it.. Bugger.... They have stainless clips on them and they dont want to go back together Assuming of course I could get them the right way round ...Mmmmmm

We have only had the car a couple of months and I think someone has been at this before.

Could anyone PLEASE take a photo of this connector so I at least can get it wired right ... Please !

I have taken the mechanism off the car and cannot see how the sensor can be removed so does the whole latch mechanism need replacing ??

TIA.....

The alarm switch is integral to the mechanism.

Have you tried twisting the wires together to complete the circuit?

Yes tried contacting them together in the hope this would do it.. I would rather not have the bonnet alarmed if it means we can lock the car..... But still the orange symbol on the central dash pod is lit indicating a fault.. Also tried disconnecting the battery in the hope it will do a re set like on one of our other cars..

At this moment we are not attempting to lock the car....

An update.. After disconnecting the battery which on Toyotas seems to do some sort of a re set I then twisted the wires together as suggested by Stoney871 above.. This put out the orange warning light and no more bonnet open on the central display..

The wires are now tidily soldered and heat shrink wrapped and cable tied out of sight and no more alarm going off or warning lights for the last two days.. Result..

OK so we now have no alarm on the bonnet but I can live with that...

Thanks...

Charlie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Must admit I was surprised it didn't work first time, obviously must have been saved on the system.

Glad a battery reset helped.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Must admit I was surprised it didn't work first time, obviously must have been saved on the system.

Glad a battery reset helped.

Thanks for the advise.. Appreciate it !

Charlie.

• 2 years later...

I have just driven 300+ miles in my newly purchased 2007 ZETEC Climate 1.6 TDCi with a BONNET OPEN warning on the dash, the solid red light warning adjacent to it activated, and a nausiating nearly constant BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP which I had to regularly re-set with the left stork. Many thanks to Stoney871 the the useful advice, I'll let you know how I get on!

Shame this occured really, as otherwise the car handled and responded beautifully, was quiet, comfortable and a pleasure to drive

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem on my 55 plate 2.0 Ghia. I can't seem to see where the wiring connector to the bullet switch on the bonnet lock is. Does anyone have a photo of where it is located so I can also bypass the sensor?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Oh thank you so much for this thread, My 06 Focus CMax's alarm has been doing this intermittently for months! GRRR!

First off the Bonnet Open warning light kept coming on, but no alarms. Then the alarms started. ( 4am during a sub-zero spell in January), Like every half hour!
So I'm there in my nightie, minus 5C, sat in the car with the engine running, cursing the damn car!
Can't leave it unlocked as the blemin thing auto-relocks itself after a few minutes.
I noticed if I went out late evening and drove it,  it seemed to stop doing it. We thought problem solved - late night joyride = no more alarms! NOPE
A week later, 3am : MEEP MEEP MEEP!!!! AAArrgghh!

I've even taken it to a local garage and they've looked at the latch and adjusted the rubber grommet, but otherwise couldn't find a problem.
I've emailed myself this page thread, and will go to the garage tomorrow with this info and ask them to try your fix.

Fingers crossed!

• 2 months later...

Mine was doing the same thing so I unplugged the sensor and put a little wire between the two connections which disabled the sensor

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, i'd really appreciate some help with my "bonnet open" issue. 

After reading this this thread I tried to stop  my 2005 focus ghia from constantly showing the "bonnet open" message on my dash board and randomly starting the alarm at all hours. 

I cut the two cables going into the latch mechanism plug & using a connector block I connected them together (skipping the actual latch mechanism altogether) but when I re-connected the battery & reset the radio the "bonnet open" message was still displayed & after 5/10minutes the alarm started & I wouldn't stop (even after disconnecting the battery, starting the car & unlocking) 

anyway I finally got it stop and wondered what I did wrong & how I can fix the original "bonnet open" issue 

any advice would be appreciated guys thanks 

Also before I forget, around the same time of the "bonnet open" message appearing the rear window wiper started playing up (getting stuck in a half way position) & the fan on my dashboard stopped working 

not sure if related but thought it was worth a mention.

thanks again guys appreciate any help with this

• 5 months later...

There is a common issue with ford cars where the wiring to the fuse box, in the front passengers footwell  is easily knocked by passengers feet, there are wires plugged into the fuse box in the footwell which can be release by pulling the plastic clip on the socket towards you. Try pushing the clip away from you to ensure the wires are properly connected. Had this issue with a c-max where the bonnet warning light was coming on and the dashboard fan stopped working. Someone had knocked the clip with their feet and caused all sorts of problems, could of cost loads to eliminate the potential issues, but in the end was a 30 second job to resolve it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Is the switch on the bonnet lid? (See two wires leading to the bonnet)

or, is the metal plunger on the slam panel the switch?

I had the same issue, and i decided to buy a new latch with switch, as they have been modified a little.

£53 and a ten minute job, and cured the warning light and message. Ill admit i never had the alarm going off though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all..

I have a Ford BMax... I couldn't fault this car one bit- until now...

The car alarm is keeping me up throughout the night. It keeps going off randomly, mainly at night time or in the early hours of the morning. 

The bonnet sensor had also come on saying that it’s open- which it isn’t...

I can see that this seems to be a common issue with Ford cars and I can see that the majority of people are just disconnecting the bonnet sensor. 

I am having to leave my car unlocked during the night as I can’t sleep.  It’s not only waking me and my kids up but all my neighbours, who of course aren’t all that happy.

Now unfortunately I am no mechanic so I don’t know what I’m looking for. I know how to open the bonnet etc and that’s about it. 

In the most simplest of ways could anyone tell me what I’m looking for and how to disconnect this.... 

Thanks  

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd bump this thread as my 'bonnet open' has come on, just had full service and trying to get advice before reporting it to my mechanic friend, could he have dislodged a fuse whilst checking pollen filter? If so, which fuse is it?

Tia.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, Scottford said:

Also before I forget, around the same time of the "bonnet open" message appearing the rear window wiper started playing up (getting stuck in a half way position) & the fan on my dashboard stopped working 

not sure if related but thought it was worth a mention.

thanks again guys appreciate any help with this

I think you may be on to something, my fan ceases to work also. The rear wiper is ok I think tho. I'm on the blower now. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club