Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Change Indicators

Face

Not long had my ST 2 and doh! i just noticed the gear change indicator display. Third to fourth is fine but im bearly into fourth and its saying change to fifth right away. Same with fifth to sixth. Im still getting used to the car and its power so im a bit worried that by ignoring the display i might do the engine some damage. Advice please ;]

Don't worry about it , i ignore mine all the time , as it wants you to change gear at 2000 RPM , :o , as your car is new just don't go and red line it. Bed it in a little , the gear change light is purely to try and get you to "hug a tree" and save the planet.

• Like 1

you wont do engine damage by ignoring it. its just there as a guideline of when to change gear to get best possible fuel efficiency

• Like 1

Hi, as I own a 1.6 ecoboost in a similar state of tune 2k is about right when run in. In fact I can trickle my car along at 30mph in 5th with no strain on the engine what so ever, I just change down when coming to a hill. Useful torque comes in at around 1500rpm with these ecoboost engines but just don't let the engine labour when new..

• Like 1

yeah i haven't been shifting as early as the light wants cos in the manual it tells you not to labour the engine, think it was for the first 2,000 miles maybe less.

That's weird.. On my Fiesta it turns on the shift indicator light basically at the red line, as it's the optimum performance change. I would've expected the same for the ST what with that being a performance car

can't say i have noticed a shift light at the top of the rev range, the shift light we are on about is to help get you the best MPG

Yeah i know its the same light, just on my car and the metal it comes on higher in the rev range because they're classed in the performance class if you like. Which the ST would be also.

90% of people wouldn't buy an ST expecting good MPG.

Im one of the 10% that is one of the things that drew me to the fiesta st i previously had an rx8 which is no more powerful than the fiesta st but used more than 2x the amount of fuel.

if your not loaded and want a small fast car then the st is a great choice the good fuel usage makes it an even greater option.

My ZetecS light comes on at 2000 rpm irrespective of whether you can change up, like on steep hills. It used to really bug me when I first got it but I've learnt to ignore it now after all I've been driving for 36 years and I think I can decide when to change gear on my own. Just wish there was a way to turn it off but apparently not.

• Like 2

I think the Ever Helpful iNath can disable the light on the dash for you if you ask.

I think the Ever Helpful iNath can disable the light on the dash for you if you ask.

Not yet tested on the facelift ;) also requires plugging my laptop in to the vehicle.

The arrows are for women and stupid eco drivers that dunno when to shift, they tend not to listen to the engine either..

With a 6th gear and some run in, one might aswell use it from about 55mph and on..

Hi, I'm sure you know that the indicator will change according to the amount of throttle, thus if you are driving the car hard it will know that and the arrow will come on later....

• Like 1

Its a simple pre-set guideline for fuel economy.

I would not use it as it does not take into account inclines, road conditions, it just advises you based on engine revs.

e.g.If you change gear on a steep hill because the light comes on, you may stall as you dont have the revs to get up the hill

My advice, just drive however you feel comfortable, if your competant in the least you will know from experience when to change gear.

• Like 1

Not yet tested on the facelift ;) also requires plugging my laptop in to the vehicle.

You should take your lap top to Ford Fair you could make a few quid on the side.

Hi, I'm sure you know that the indicator will change according to the amount of throttle, thus if you are driving the car hard it will know that and the arrow will come on later....

No, it doesnt.

No, it doesnt.

Hi, sorry but it does on my car and has been documented by other owners, perhaps it is more simplistic on the Fiesta. I will test it out on ours. As to the indicator making the car stall on hills, that's a load of tosh...

Hi, sorry but it does on my car and has been documented by other owners, perhaps it is more simplistic on the Fiesta. I will test it out on ours. As to the indicator making the car stall on hills, that's a load of tosh...

I would read the post again before making silly comments.

No one said it will make the car stall on hills, but if you follow the indicator when you change gear you can easily stall due to low revs when on a hill.

In other words. do not use take it as gospel.

Yes we all know the indicator DOES adjust based on how you drive, that does not mean it always gets it right!

Heres an example, get yourself on a really steep hill and only change gear when it tells you too, see how you manage?

Hi, my car is perfect on a hill when changing gear according to the indicator and I've not noticed anything else on the Fiesta. Does the indicator come on below 1.5k rpm? Doubtful and that is where useful torque kicks in.To reply to the silly post that stated the indicator doesn't adjust according to the throttle position, this is what the manual says:

"It will illuminate to inform you that shifting to a higher gear may give better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions. It will not illuminate during periods of high acceleration, braking or when the clutch pedal is pressed."

I take note of the gear change indicator and change gears when the light shows when I can.... It doesn't annoy me much. Only when it wants me to change gear up hill when I know I can't because the hill is too steep and I'll lose power.

Hi, my car is perfect on a hill when changing gear according to the indicator and I've not noticed anything else on the Fiesta.

Well done this man ;)

I take note of the gear change indicator and change gears when the light shows when I can.... It doesn't annoy me much. Only when it wants me to change gear up hill when I know I can't because the hill is too steep and I'll lose power.

Exactly, it does as i have said ask you to change at some of the worst possible times all in the name of economy.

This is the point i am trying to make, although some members would disagree!

My Cooper S has this shift indicator but it will adjust to the way you drive ie if you drive conservatively it will light up all the time but if you give it some beans (which it loves!) then it will only light up at red line revs........

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club