Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Knocking Sound

MrBriggs

Hi All,

Was just wondering if you chaps could help me out.

I have an old 2005 Mk2 Focus. Its slowly started developing a general knocking sound that isn't really dependent on any particular driving conditions - i.e. it'll do it when going slow/fast, on smooth/bumpy roads, going straight/turning. Imagine the kind of sound of someone doing a single knock on the car door or window every so often.

The knocking noise is quite general and I don't think its coming from the engine - if anything I'd say its coming from the back/centre of the car.

Anyway, Its started happening a bit more after I've been taken her around some of the more rural roads. But now its starting to get more noisy and frequent but she still handles fine, no loss of power, no gear issues (that I can tell).

Any thoughts on what's going on? I've done some general reading and seems like bushes, axels, suspension might be just all it is. Anyone got any other thoughts on other possible causes? Possible cost?

Happy to answer any questions if it helps.

Much obliged,

MB.

I have a knocking sound when going over slight bumps. Took it to the garage last Thursday and it was the bushes!

iv just recently got this too!

it flew through an MOT with it though!

I was thinking rear anti roll bar links - but ill keep my eye on this thread for ideas before I get around to doing it

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me.

MackScania - how loud was it? Mine's like someone knocking heavily on the door window, just at random intervals. Sometimes it will do it lots in one go, then not for a good 5-10 minutes. Sort of embarrassingly loud. What sort of ballpark figure was it to get fixed?

FUTT - Yeah the more I read about MOTs I think they're just a cursory check for anything wrong with breaks, tyres, emissions etc. Not mean to pick up random stuff! I've got my MOT in Sept so not really looking forward spending money on getting it fixed it this month if something fatal shows up next month! As above is yours a feint noise or quite loud?

Cheers guys

I agree with all of that mate!!

first that noise is embarrassing - I don't want people thinking my pride and joy is just some banger!!

and second, MOT is just another TAX! iv seen total sheds that my mates drive pass, but they hassle people with nice cars over the pettiest of things for no reason!

but mine was faint - to the point that no one else in the car heard it! but now its getting more obvious to others. normally over any form of bump

It is isn't it like! Can you imagine going to pick a girl up and trying to explain that knocking noise!!! ^_^

Yeah mine started feint - then has gotten louder. Think it's coz I was tearing it up some rural roads the past few days, pushed her over the edge. Booked her in at the garage on Monday so we'll see. Just hoping it's something relatively inexpensive like the bushes and not something random expensive/write-off.

Too right its just another tax mate. Just like actual car tax, tv license, alcohol tax...probably tax breathing next!! Wouldn't mind if we got a decent return for them!

Often these symptoms are down to the top mounts on the shocks. Its a common issue and not just on Fords. As these wear they get a little movement which is only noticeable when driving.

Often these symptoms are down to the top mounts on the shocks. Its a common issue and not just on Fords. As these wear they get a little movement which is only noticeable when driving.

Cheers mate. Big job?

OK so got her back from the garage...

Garage diagnosed that it was the CV joint that was the culprit.

Everything was great....for the first minute!

Then the knocking sound came back...probably worse than before! It seems to be more when car is moving at slower speeds and when speeding up/breaking like when momentum forwards/backwards is greatest, particularly when moving up hill slowly.

No loss of power though, doesn't do it when turning...

Check the heat shield underneath particularly where the exhaust hangers are also the front droplinks are prone to that noise ide have went straight back into the garage with it since there diagnosis was wrong

Thats a bit extreme lol i would put most of that back it is thete for a reason

Check the heat shield underneath particularly where the exhaust hangers are also the front droplinks are prone to that noise ide have went straight back into the garage with it since there diagnosis was wrong

Cheers man. When I dropped her off yesterday I said I'd done a bit of obligatory Googling and alot of ppl were saying that droplinks, bushes, engine mount seemed to be big issues in Focuses. Never thought of heatshield. I'm wondering if they took her out for a test drive afterwards. I might ask Garage to come out for a quick drive to see if I can replicate the problem.

I was gonna drop her straight back but it was 5pm so was pretty much closing anyway. Cue a very gently drive back today hopefully.

whats a heat shield?! :whistling:

Christ, is that yours??

getting a similar knocking sound when accelerating, had the droplinks, driveshafts, wishbones changed and the noise is still there...

the garage also said they had a car the week before with similar noises and new wishbones (ball joints was the problem) solved it. so id get those checked

yeh that's all mine ripped off!

I spoke to garage about it corroding and they said it was of no use - I googled it to double check and it came up saying the only reason for it was if parking in long grass!!

been a few weeks now and still no issues!

..apart from the fact that it didn't stop the noise!! haha

But how would a heat shield be of use when parking on long grass? They are to reflect heat from the exhaust away from the floor of the car to stop it heating up - which they are quite effective at.

Personally I try and leave them on or fix then using large aluminium plates/washers where poossible.

I know many people who have removed them without any ill effect but I also know a couple who have had issues shortly after.

Hi Guys,

OK! Got her back yesterday after three trips to the garage.

First time round they diagnosed it as a knackered CV joint which they replaced - apparently one of the bearings had fallen out. Sorted for £100ish. But was still knocking on the way home..

So took her back a second time and they found that one of the bolts on the suspension cradle (correct term?) was a bit loose which they sorted gratis after not picking it up first time. This reduced the knocking noise on the way home but was still there, but more feintly.

So took her back again yesterday...they were a bit puzzled! This time they found that the bolt holding the gearbox had snapped so it was causing the whole gear box to shift a little causing the clunking noise. Sorted for £30 which I thought was pretty fair. No noise on the way home!

Should really have taken her out for a proper test drive but to be honest I fancied a couple of cans when I go in...so we'll see if that's the end of it. Anyway, just thought I'd post back in case it's of help to anyone.

Cheers guys.

the gear box was just hanging?! that doesn't sound like something I will be doing myself!! lol

and so far no problems, or even a slight difference as far as I can notice. Im going to try and fix the bit of heat shield which covers the down pipe, but the rest is beyond scavenging!

Nah it was just loose, I think it was supported by the other bolt so they re-drilled the one that had snapped and put an extra one in. Still, glad it's sorted when you put it like that...!

Went out today, still a v feint noise (which they explained would never go away) but much healthier. Not bad for a 115,000 miles-old car!! Hoping she can get to 130k tho...

Can't believe all that heat shield came out from under your car!! Looks like its had its intestines ripped out!!!

• 7 years later...

Stumbled across this after reaching the end of my tether. Got someone out tomorrow who can have a look, have sent them a screenshot of the resolution. Hopefully tomorrow no more knocking 🤞

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club