#1 joepop

joepop

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: 2.0 tdci

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi guys

I have a very annoying problem that no one seems to be able to solve. Whenever I go over a bump, large or small, there is a knocking sound that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. I had my mechanic look at it and he thought it might be a loose heat shield. I have checked these and it is not.

I had it looked at by Kwik fit and they relieved me of 70 quid for a rear link of some sort but it was not that.

By the way, the knocking does not happen if I apply the brakes or have the handbrake almost fully up.

My hand brake has been checked and is meant to be fine.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Another problem is a constant whizzing sound whenever I accelarate and the turbo kicks in. The pipes are fine from what I have been told and I have been told the turbo is fine and that some cars are just like that. I do not believe that as it was not making the whizzing sound before.

Please help before I get fleeced!!!!

Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gazsutton

gazsutton

Clueless!

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Name: Gareth
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have a similar noise on mine from the rear drivers side. But it sounds like the spring on mine but i havent had it checked yet as its not all the time and the cars sits and feels fine.

#3 Jamie Gwilliam

Jamie Gwilliam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Mines the upper bushes that connect the suspension/frame arms to the body. (Up on inside of rear wheels). Clang like billio.

#4 joepop

joepop

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for that. My mechanic has looked at it and can not work it out as being anything obvious. It's definitely something to do with the rear drivers side wheel. We tried bouncing the car up and down and the noise was not there but driving forward over anything and it makes the noise. This suggests that it's actually the forward motion instead of the up and down motion. I will have to try the upper bushes. Are they expensive? Do you know what right name for it is as upper bushes are coming up as rubber bits on eBay whereas I need to get the metal part that goes up into the wheel arch?

Cheers

#5 Jamie Gwilliam

Jamie Gwilliam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Think its called rear upper trailing arm. Got a pic but cant put it on here.

#6 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,491 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Shock obsorber top mounts do this. Its difficult to trace as it only occurs with the full weight of the car on them. You wont find any play with the car up in the air. You find you get a knocking noise traveling along a road with the slightest ripple in it.

It is a common issue on all cars, not just Fords.

#7 joepop

joepop

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

OK thanks guys. I will ask my mechanic about both options.

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users