Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Map

liam1984

Got my car booked in on wednesday for a map at jp autotechnics in sheffield, I have been asked what map I would like,they do a green map a all round map and a power map. the green map im guessing is for economy, the all round iv been told is a bit of both and the power one does what it says on the tin! just wondering what people on here are running and if anybody has used the above garage?

Thanks Liam

Its just low power,medium& high really. Mines is currently on a medium map. You might need a new clutch if yours is getting on.

Just a tip - dont give the car welly in low gears and gradually feather the accelerator in 3rd,4th etc. sometimes you can glaze your clutch then its bye bye clutch time.

Got my car booked in on wednesday for a map at jp autotechnics in sheffield, I have been asked what map I would like,they do a green map a all round map and a power map. the green map im guessing is for economy, the all round iv been told is a bit of both and the power one does what it says on the tin! just wondering what people on here are running and if anybody has used the above garage?

Thanks Liam

I would just get the power map, as long as it does not produce exessive smoke - the economy is liable to be decent anyway - why bother with half measures - i would'nt - and did'nt :lol:

It is a good idea to blank your EGR valve (with a solid plate) if you are having a remap, they are available on line for about £5 if you don't have one already (a "standard" modification) Yours is a euro3 so you can do this with no problem

A good service is recommended before a remap, oil and filter change, air filter (or aftermarket air filter) are very important, the fuel filter also (best to use genuine Ford or a "premium" fuel & oil filter)

The (inside of the) intercooler can get contaminated with oil, and the inlet manifold can get gunged up with carbon too (from the EGR), these are best cleaned out pereodically, (especially before a remap) - the EGR blanking plate will prevent further contamination from the EGR

Its the DMF (dual mass flywheel) that is the weak point on the transmission, followed by the clutch, the mtx-75 box on your car is quite tough

The only other major thing you need worry about is the injectors, if they are already on their "way out" it may hasten their demise or the engine may not respond to the remap (eg it does not seem to make any difference)

There are different engines (fixed vane turbo/ variable vane/ front or rear EGR etc) if you could post a pic of the engine bay that would help

PS i have not heard of your remappers, but there are a lot around - if they have premises and a land line they are more liable to be legit than one with just a mobile phone, if they use a rolling road and do a before/ after readout they are probably one of the better ones - just use your judgement

Not enough space on here to wright what i am running but you can read my build thread -

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42441-my-mondeo/

I have only had the car a few months, the guy who had it b4 me was elderly and spent money in it if it needed it! It had a full service inc fuel filter, it has at sum point had injectors and new seals and it also had a clutch and flywheel! Sadly I think he was spending the money hoping to keep it but he passed away. I am unsure tho if it has had the egr blanked off if I was to do this after the map would it affect it? Also the place im having it mapped does a start and finish dyno run! On a full power map what bhp lbft torque will I be looking at? Thanks guys

Check and have a look if theres a blanking plate fitted. You know where EGR Is? You should be able to see it. If your mapper is good he'll be able to remap it plus do an egr delete at same time if its a euro4 type engine(elec connector on egr). If thats what he's planning,then yes you'll need a plate.

But if yours has a blanking plate already i cant see it being a euro4 or youd see a EML.

You should see about 160bhp or just over.

If its not blanked id blank it 1st before the remap,as yes id say it'd have an affect on power/air/combustion. Id guess that the place thats mapping it should have blanking plates,so you might want to get 1 fitted anyway.

The 2002 Mondeo mk3 TDCI is a Euro3 (mot a Euro4)- so can have a solid EGR blanking plate fitted without an EML (engine management light) coming on

The EGR contaminates the inlet manifold with carbon - this can eventually choke the inlet manifold - cleaning it out was never part of the service schedule - there are a lot of TDCI owners driving around with choked up inlet manifolds, wondering why their engines are producing a lot of smoke even though their car has been serviced religiously - ditto the oli from the breather contaminating the intercooler

The trouble with remapping it before the inlet manifold and intercooler are cleaned out is that can reduce the air going into the engine and efficiency of the intercooler, making the engine run richer and more liable to produce smoke, the mapper may "back off" the map to reduce the smoke, the combination of the "backed off" (more conservative) map and the potentially restricted air flow may mean less power on your "after" chart/ dyno result

The EGR can reduce the exhaust pressure to the turbine, reducing the boost "pick up", - this can effect the map - the flat-spot the EGR causes can often be visible on the dyno read out

So yes, you can get the car remapped before fixing the EGR (fitting a solid blanking plate) or sorting the inlet manifold and intercooler (by taking them off and cleaning them out properly) but ideally, you should do these things first before remapping

There can be a massive difference between dynos - some seem to exaggerate the power/ torque, and remember, only the wheel HP is measured on a chassis dyno, the flywheel power is basically "guessed" - get the wheel HP, you would be surprised how low the figure is - but thats what counts - the power actually getting to the wheels

Had it done and what a massive differance! Seems easyier to drive! Highly recomended!!

• Like 1

mines is way more oomph down lower revs.turbo kicks in without so much lag. Im not getting any saving on mpg tho. over 5 cars now remapped and ive not had 1 that saved on mpg,but boy are they fun to drive.

Hmmm.

Won't the mpg depend on how you drive it now?

yep.always depends how you drive it.but folk tend to know when theyre driving with more right foot etc.

Even well known mappers,will say as long as you're not losing mpg its expected lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club