Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Engine Oil?

LittleBIGfiesta

Ok,

As i have now ordered and am waiting my partners fiesta in around 7 weeks, i thought i would do some research on oil required for the new ecoboost 1.0 turo engine.

I am a little confused by my findings and wondered if anyone could help.

Ford state the new 5w, 20 oil is required with the new engines and this meets the WSS-M2C948-B requirement.

However most sites i have checked state that the older 5w, 30 still meets the WSS-M2C948-B requirement?

Anyone know which should be used, either the Castrol 5w, 20 or the Castrol 5w, 30?

It would seem 5w, 30 meets both WSS-M2C948-B and WSS-M2C913C requirements

Engine oil required would be motorcraft 5w-20 (WSS-M2C945-A). Thats direct from the owners manual

Ok,

As i have now ordered and am waiting my partners fiesta in around 7 weeks, i thought i would do some research on oil required for the new ecoboost 1.0 turo engine.

I am a little confused by my findings and wondered if anyone could help.

Ford state the new 5w, 20 oil is required with the new engines and this meets the WSS-M2C948-B requirement.

However most sites i have checked state that the older 5w, 30 still meets the WSS-M2C948-B requirement?

Anyone know which should be used, either the Castrol 5w, 20 or the Castrol 5w, 30?

It would seem 5w, 30 meets both WSS-M2C948-B and WSS-M2C913C requirements

Hmm. not sure what manual you have as the one i am reading says this, never heard of motorcraft oil either as Castrol has always been the ford recommended brand.

v3ez.jpg

Ill just use the rest of the magnatec 5w, 30 i have left in my garage, that should suffice.

I had problems trying to get the correct oil for an Ecoboost 1L.

I tried two Halfords for Castrol 5w-20 and a service station listed as Castrol retailers. They did not stock it.

Decided to go to People's Ford - spares department and the chap at first insisted it was okay to use 5w-30 as they didn't have any 5w-20 in stock.

I wasn't happy about this suggestion of using 5w-30. I continued to insist and asked how their service department would effect an oil change.

I still don't think he believed me and went and took my chassis number off the car and put it into the computer - then admitted I was correct - even though I had the user manual in my hand.

Surprisingly, he then managed to find the correct oil in the warehouse.

JoHn

Double check yourself.

I had problems trying to get the correct oil for an Ecoboost 1L.

I tried two Halfords for Castrol 5w-20 and a service station listed as Castrol retailers. They did not stock it.

Decided to go to People's Ford - spares department and the chap at first insisted it was okay to use 5w-30 as they didn't have any 5w-20 in stock.

I wasn't happy about this suggestion of using 5w-30. I continued to insist and asked how their service department would effect an oil change.

I still don't think he believed me and went and took my chassis number off the car and put it into the computer - then admitted I was correct - even though I had the user manual in my hand.

Surprisingly, he then managed to find the correct oil in the warehouse.

JoHn

John i think your right, it would seem the Castrol 5w, 20 is a new oil, specially made for these ecoboost engines.

However according to the manual you can still use 5w, 30 without any issues.

I have also noticed this new !Removed! oil is much more expensive than anything else i have seen

Sorry my bad. Stupid Google haha

No probs

Back in 70s and 80s all ford parts came in motorcraft boxes if i remember correctly

Back in 70s and 80s all ford parts came in motorcraft boxes if i remember correctly

A little before my time im afraid. ^_^

I found this

According to Oylslager on 18th January 2012 Ford announced the new specification oil WSS-M2C948-B

this oil is the obligatory oil for the 1 litre 3 cylinder EcoBoost petrol engines , according to Ford it will improve

fuel economy by 1.1%

They have now changed that policy to state that this is the only reccomended oil for many current models including the

Fiesta , Focus , C-Max and Grand C-max and they now reccomend it for the 1.25 16v ,1.4 16v and 1.6 Ti 16v

EcoBoost models

Ford cannot invalidate your warranty for using a different brand of oil but this is the oil that they have developed in

conjunction with Castrol and there is lots of information on the net regarding the spec.

Yes - thats because motorcraft is Ford -

post-38050-0-53419100-1375075137_thumb.j

Jaguar use the same 5w20 oil in the 5.0 V8 and the 3.0 V6.

its only Castrol that make 5w20 which is the reason that is so expensive.

jaguar say you can use 5w30 but recommend getting the oil changed before the next service to avoid any problems and to avoid filling the engine with 5w30 oil at service as it could cause the eml to come on with a VVT code logged

Hi guys.... I am a ford mechanic, In my work it is strictly 5w20 oil for 1.0 ecoboost engines, hope this helps guys :) Castrol or fords motor craft oil is fine :) we tend too get Castrol from our parts department.

Hi guys.... I am a ford mechanic, In my work it is strictly 5w20 oil for 1.0 ecoboost engines, hope this helps guys :) castrol or fords motor craft oil is fine :) we tend too get castrol from our parts department.

can you use 5w20 in the 1.6 ti-vct engine?

just wondering cos i could spoof some from work ;)

Hi mate, yes you could use the 5w20 in the 1.6 but 5w30 is the recommended.... I'll explain...

Using 5w20 oil means that the oil has a higher viscosity once at running temperature (engine warm) meaning 5w20 is thicker than 5w30 when the engine is warm, The 5 being its viscosity rating when cold the lower the number the thinner it is when cold, having a rating of 5 means that it is thin (low viscosity) when cold/starting the car which is good! Soo more too the point 5w30 would be more efficient for your engine as the oil is thiner, meaning the oil flows easier, meaning less strain on the oil pump and less energy used from your engine too turn the pump :)

A little long winded but we got there lol! Hope this helps you out :)

i would have figured that 5w20 would have been thinner at running temp than 5w30?

No mate 5w20 is thicker when warm :)

Hi mate, yes you could use the 5w20 in the 1.6 but 5w30 is the recommended.... I'll explain...
Using 5w20 oil means that the oil has a higher viscosity once at running temperature (engine warm) meaning 5w20 is thicker than 5w30 when the engine is warm, The 5 being its viscosity rating when cold the lower the number the thinner it is when cold, having a rating of 5 means that it is thin (low viscosity) when cold/starting the car which is good! Soo more too the point 5w30 would be more efficient for your engine as the oil is thiner, meaning the oil flows easier, meaning less strain on the oil pump and less energy used from your engine too turn the pump :)
A little long winded but we got there lol! Hope this helps you out :)

I think, as Mr Singh has suggested, that you have got it the wrong way round -, although posters can have different opinions, that they people read these forums and might take incorrect information to be factual, - i think you should check your facts -

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

The 5 is when the oil is cold and the (so 5w-30 is the same as 5w-20 when cold) the 20,(5w-20) is a lower viscocity and a thinner oil when the engine is warm (usually at 100 degrees C) - that is why it improves economy over the 5w-30 (because it is thinner when warm)

5w20 = thinner/ lower viscocity when warm than 5w-30

In My Opinion

No mate 5w20 is thicker when warm :)

that would defeat the purpose of putting 5w20 in an ecoboost engine if it was thicker when warm. you want it to flow freely round the engine when warm so if its thicker it would mean the engine would have to work harder, no?

Feck knows then mate think I may be getting myself confused with cold/ warm oil temps and viscosity lol! Ill try get a 100% answer tomorrow my brain isnt functioning just now lol