Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Ecoboost 1L Engine Problem?

John L

I took delivery of a Fiesta Titanium with Ecoboost engine back in March and have been very pleased with it including the much improved fuel economy particularly on commuter runs.

However, something strange happened 10 days ago on my way home from work. As I accelerated away from traffic lights the car appeared to stutter momentarily and I thought I perceived blue smoke out of the back. But being in heavy traffic I wasn't entirely sure the smoke had come from my car. However, the stutter was only for a couple of seconds and everything righted itself.

I did check the oil, first time in a few weeks and noted that it was almost down to the bottom notch on the dipstick. I am sure it had been around half way when I last looked. After hunting down the correct oil, which wasn't easy to get, I put some in and restored the oil level to something healthier.

Another week of commuting followed with no further problems and I just put the stutter down to a quirk. Today I decided to go out for a run as something was still niggling in the back of my mind about the problem and thought I would give the car a good run before going away on holiday in week's time.

Travelling along the motorway I pulled out to pass some slow moving traffic accelerating from around 55 to 65 and suddenly there was a brief stutter and unmistakeable blue smoke, something a passenger in the back seat noted. However, after a couple of seconds everything was back to normal again.

However, I decided to return home, I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and get it checked out . The car has just completed 4,000 miles

Anyone else experienced this engine stutter and smoke?

Could it be a faulty turbo?

Thanks

John

I took delivery of a Fiesta Titanium with Ecoboost engine back in March and have been very pleased with it including the much improved fuel economy particularly on commuter runs.

However, something strange happened 10 days ago on my way home from work. As I accelerated away from traffic lights the car appeared to stutter momentarily and I thought I perceived blue smoke out of the back. But being in heavy traffic I wasn't entirely sure the smoke had come from my car. However, the stutter was only for a couple of seconds and everything righted itself.

I did check the oil, first time in a few weeks and noted that it was almost down to the bottom notch on the dipstick. I am sure it had been around half way when I last looked. After hunting down the correct oil, which wasn't easy to get, I put some in and restored the oil level to something healthier.

Another week of commuting followed with no further problems and I just put the stutter down to a quirk. Today I decided to go out for a run as something was still niggling in the back of my mind about the problem and thought I would give the car a good run before going away on holiday in week's time.

Travelling along the motorway I pulled out to pass some slow moving traffic accelerating from around 55 to 65 and suddenly there was a brief stutter and unmistakeable blue smoke, something a passenger in the back seat noted. However, after a couple of seconds everything was back to normal again.

However, I decided to return home, I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and get it checked out . The car has just completed 4,000 miles

Anyone else experienced this engine stutter and smoke?

Could it be a faulty turbo?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Sudden Cloud of Blue Smoke - Blown Turbo

This only applies to cars that have Turbos. When you car blows a Turbo, Blue Smoke appears

in suddenly in a big cloud behind you. A Blown Turbo is either a failed

oil seal in the Turbo or the Turbo casing has broken. In both cases

they are now letting oil into the intake of the engine.

Fix Blown Turbo

When the Turbo Blows it is not a good idea to drive the car with the

Blown Turbo. This is because the lack of oil in the Turbo will create

bits of metal. The bits of metal will get in the engine. The engine will

be damaged by the bits of metal.

Before fixing the turbo you need

to determine what damage the Blown Turbo did. If the inside of the

Blown Turbo did not break into little pieces then you may be ok. In this

case you can either rebuild it or replace it. If the inside of the

Blown Turbo did break into pieces then you might have engine damage. A

mechanic should look at the engine before money is spent on the Turbo.

The car should not be blowing turbos after 4000 miles, let me know how you get on with the dealer.

Sounds like it is a turbo then. Well at least the car is under warranty.

Surprised it should have happened so soon given the low mileage and I don't work the engine hard.

John

Poets day turbo perhaps?

Hope you get it sorted!!

I took the car to my dealers on Monday.

They kept it for a few hours gave it a run down the motorway but couldn't get it to replicate the problem. Then did diagnostic tests still couldn't find a problem. I mentioned turbo problems following a previous post - but I was assured that the electronics would not allow the engine to start if the turbo was malfunctioning. He did comment on the oil level not being higher - it had been on bottom notch and I had topped it up to half way - he has filled it right up. However, he did say that from their limited experience with Ecoboost engines they were a little thirstier oil wise than other Ford engines.

I then took the car for a 50 mile run on a range of roads, including motorway and did some sharp accelerations and it ran perfectly all the way!

I am off on holiday on at weekend - dealer assured me that any Ford dealer would fix it free of charge if anything happened. I think I'll take the oil can with me - first time I have felt the need to carry one since owning a first generation Metro in the 1980s!

Just have to keep fingers crossed and hope for the best!

John

Does sound a little strange, but I would have thought if the turbo had blown then you would have no boost and be stuck with a very underpowered 1L. The fact it still drives fine means the turbo is still boosting.

At least you are in warranty with it.

Glad to hear its still running ok john.

Are you using the new Castrol Pro 5w, 20 oil in your ecoboost?

I have always kept 1l top up bottles in all the cars i have ever owned.

• 4 years later...

Can anyone tell me if the 1ltr ecoboost 125 should have a black engine cover over it mine hasent would be happy for your replies thank you 

No cover on the Fiesta. It doesn't fit properly due to the intake pipe.

You can buy one on eBay and it will fit in place, albeit very very snug.

I had to remove the airbox cover to allow some wriggle room and even then it's mostly relying on the air hoses and oil plug to keep it down.

On 01/08/2013 at 8:15 PM, John L said:

I took the car to my dealers on Monday.

They kept it for a few hours gave it a run down the motorway but couldn't get it to replicate the problem. Then did diagnostic tests still couldn't find a problem. I mentioned turbo problems following a previous post - but I was assured that the electronics would not allow the engine to start if the turbo was malfunctioning. He did comment on the oil level not being higher - it had been on bottom notch and I had topped it up to half way - he has filled it right up. However, he did say that from their limited experience with Ecoboost engines they were a little thirstier oil wise than other Ford engines.

I then took the car for a 50 mile run on a range of roads, including motorway and did some sharp accelerations and it ran perfectly all the way!

I am off on holiday on at weekend - dealer assured me that any Ford dealer would fix it free of charge if anything happened. I think I'll take the oil can with me - first time I have felt the need to carry one since owning a first generation Metro in the 1980s!

Just have to keep fingers crossed and hope for the best!

John

Quote: “he did say from their limited experience with Ecoboost engines they were a little thirstier oil wise than other Ford engines.”

I’d say filling up from min to max more than once in a year is more than ‘a little’ thirsty! 

Had my Ecoboost Fiesta 140 version for a year now, the oil level didn't budge from the full line at all in 8500 miles. Had it serviced a few weeks back and the fresh oil is bang on the line.

I check it at least once a week along with the tyre pressures, and a glance at the brake n coolant fluid levels. So far everything looks to be staying spot on.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club