Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.6 Powershift Mpg??

Traquare

That's your opinion!!! I HAVE to have automatic as I cannot use my left leg!!!!!! For goodness sake, I'm SICK to DEATH of having to justify why I drive an automatic car, it's NOBODY else's business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I meant no offence, it was banter aimed at Paul as he chooses to have one. Was not aimed at you or anyone that needs one for medical reasons.

What's all this crap about Powershift being non-eco and comparing it to a Vauxhall?

Powershift is Fords equal to Volkswagens DSG = high tech twin clutch automatic gearbox. Smooth quick shifts and very little fuel usage. In some cases it uses less than manuals, since the gearbox always tries to run in the highest gear as possible, whereas we manual drivers tend to rev a little higher.

Forget about the fuel counter and see how many miles you actually drove the next time you fuel it up and do the maths, then you know how good/bad the economy is.

• Like 2

It makes a MASSIVE difference!!!! Automatics use a LOT more fuel, as the engine is also operating the clutch & changing the gears as well!!! And to do this, it needs fuel........

I can't believe they allow you to drive if you can't figure that obvious, basic fact out......wow

wow whats your problem i didnt know auto's used more fuel i actually thought it would use less.

and know one has said anything about you having to justify driving an auto.

What's all this crap about Powershift being non-eco and comparing it to a Vauxhall?

Powershift is Fords equal to Volkswagens DSG = high tech twin clutch automatic gearbox. Smooth quick shifts and very little fuel usage. In some cases it uses less than manuals, since the gearbox always tries to run in the highest gear as possible, whereas we manual drivers tend to rev a little higher.

Forget about the fuel counter and see how many miles you actually drove the next time you fuel it up and do the maths, then you know how good/bad the economy is.

this was my thinking exactly an engine with manual box still has to drive the gearbox the driver just pushes a lever.instead.

I believe it's heresy and treason, and carries the penalty of death by hanging if you admit to it, or to be hung, drawn and quartered so that your soul maybe cleansed by pain if you don't admit to it.

• Like 1

Huh?

The V word, it's not to be mentioned on this forum! :P

• Like 1

Lol OK sorry :)

My point is just powershift is not som crappy V comparable gearbox. :)

To get this back on topic, I'll give some friendly advice on the original queries raised...

Firstly, many people do refer to the quoted manufacturer economy figures and expect to achieve these in real world conditions. The catch here is that manufacturers create optimum conditions (constant ideal temperature, constant speed, distance etc) so that scientifically at least, they produce a fair test which is comparable across brands. Due to the controlled nature of these tests, many people will struggle to achieve these quoted figures.

With regards to your car, I don't think there are any issues with it, it just needs to be driven a bit more and properly bedded in so that all the components begin to work efficiently. Autos have traditionally been thirstier than their manual equivalents, but as technology develops, this has been seen less and less - I work in the industry and have experience with both Peugeot's EGC gearbox and VW group's DSG/S-tronic gearbox which are just as efficient (if not more) than their manual cousins - Powershift is Ford's version of this very same technology.

It's also worth mentioning that while the trip computer is a good indicator of your economy, it might be a good idea to calculate the MPG for a few fill ups and see how different your workings are from the car's read-out.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

To get this back on topic, I'll give some friendly advice on the original queries raised...

Firstly, many people do refer to the quoted manufacturer economy figures and expect to achieve these in real world conditions. The catch here is that manufacturers create optimum conditions (constant ideal temperature, constant speed, distance etc) so that scientifically at least, they produce a fair test which is comparable across brands. Due to the controlled nature of these tests, many people will struggle to achieve these quoted figures.

With regards to your car, I don't think there are any issues with it, it just needs to be driven a bit more and properly bedded in so that all the components begin to work efficiently. Autos have traditionally been thirstier than their manual equivalents, but as technology develops, this has been seen less and less - I work in the industry and have experience with both Peugeot's EGC gearbox and VW group's DSG/S-tronic gearbox which are just as efficient (if not more) than their manual cousins - Powershift is Ford's version of this very same technology.

It's also worth mentioning that while the trip computer is a good indicator of your economy, it might be a good idea to calculate the MPG for a few fill ups and see how different your workings are from the car's read-out.

Hi thanks, that's really good to know! x

Just to point out, I've already done 600 miles in it, but is still only getting about 180 at the absolute most, on motorways, per a full tank of fuel... x

• Like 1

Right enoughs enough now everyone please try to get on or we will have to remove the post altogether ive removed a couple of posts try and keep things friendly please

Some nice common sense advice and info - thanks James. The only plus point of the "automated manual" box I experienced (won't mention the manufacturer again !) was that the actual mpg figures I achieved were as good as the manual manufacturer-quoted figures proving that auto technology can work economy-wise.

Some of us also choose an auto because we prefer them to drive, chaps. Just as we are free to choose any other option to suit oiur tastes !

• Like 2

Just to point out, I've already done 600 miles in it, but is still only getting about 180 at the absolute most, on motorways, per a full tank of fuel... x

Tracy, i would book this into Ford if you're still not comfortable with the MPG figure. Remember these are always estimated and take awhile to become more realistic. Being it is a new car they can take up to 4000 miles before they finally settle down and get comfy.

i would expect 240 miles at minimum highway driving. I get 376miles in a 1.4 but it took forever to get there.

let us know the outcome!. :)

Getting my Titanium X 1.6 Powershift next friday, but for the last 3 years have had a VW Polo with the 1.4 DSG and was very impressed with the smooth gear changes.

The wife always drove the auto Fiesta`s for the last 7 years, changing to a newer one every 18 months or so.

Each time the automatic gear box on these didnt have the smoothness about them that I liked about the american cars I had driven, and even her 2013 Fiesta Zetech wasnt a patch on my Polo

So it came for upgrade time and I took the 2013 Fiesta 1.6 Powershift for a test drive and it was the finally piece an auto Fiesta needs, where as the Polo was a smooth ride with the gear changes, it was to be honest, boring to drive.

The fiesta is a fun little car, and have loved the new style since the 2008 update. Cant wait till next week now.

Getting my Titanium X 1.6 Powershift next friday, but for the last 3 years have had a VW Polo with the 1.4 DSG and was very impressed with the smooth gear changes.

The wife always drove the auto Fiesta`s for the last 7 years, changing to a newer one every 18 months or so.

Each time the automatic gear box on these didnt have the smoothness about them that I liked about the american cars I had driven, and even her 2013 Fiesta Zetech wasnt a patch on my Polo

So it came for upgrade time and I took the 2013 Fiesta 1.6 Powershift for a test drive and it was the finally piece an auto Fiesta needs, where as the Polo was a smooth ride with the gear changes, it was to be honest, boring to drive.

The fiesta is a fun little car, and have loved the new style since the 2008 update. Cant wait till next week now.

That is exactly what I wanted to know, Pete, how good/smooth is the 'Powershift' to drive, as when I upgrade I will definately look at the Ford range (despite the sloppy service of my local dealer). I take it by "Final piece it needs" you mean it is good.

I have no complaints about the smoothness of my current auto Fiesta so if the Powershift is at least as good and maybe more economical, then I could well go for it.

The best auto I have driven is by far is the CVT that was fitted to MG Rover models. Absolutely smooth, no hesitation on pulling away and economical too. Manual override through the ratios could be done as fast as you like - it couldn't be beaten. It also changed down on descending hills to aid braking !

@Magenta Yeah I felt on the test drive, the gear box being as smooth on my Polo was the last part to a fun to drive car.

I love driving the wifes Fiesta 1.4 auto, it just feels like a little dodgem car, but the response of the gear box let it down. And when the wife borrowed my car she felt the gear box was much better and smother, but the car itself felt boring for driving.

Just counting the days, and hoping I dont wake up on the cold morning and find she`s nicked it for the heated seats......

hi,all im picking up a new powershift fiesta today, trading in my vw polo dsg,i was getting about 380-400 miles out of a full tank, I hope the fiesta is not far off, I say new fiesta its a ex demo with 900 miles on the clock, white 5 door titanium with city pack.so hope fully will be run in, I am picking fiesta up from west Yorkshire, I live in Wigan which is about 45 miles away I will see what its like on the way back.

hi,all im picking up a new powershift fiesta today, trading in my vw polo dsg,i was getting about 380-400 miles out of a full tank, I hope the fiesta is not far off, I say new fiesta its a ex demo with 900 miles on the clock, white 5 door titanium with city pack.so hope fully will be run in, I am picking fiesta up from west Yorkshire, I live in Wigan which is about 45 miles away I will see what its like on the way back.

Nah you won't get anywhere near that! I've got nearly 1,000 miles on mine, and i'm lucky to get 200 miles from a tank. It's a 6 speed 4 cylinder 1.6 engine so it's very very thirsty! x

I m getting 43mpg (@2000 miles) and I would say that powershift is far better than the older transmission in terms of both driveability and fuel

I m getting 43mpg (@2000 miles) and I would say that powershift is far better than the older transmission in terms of both driveability and fuel

I wish!!!! I can't even get half that. Maybe it's my driving style? x

To those collecting new cars, please post pics and report back on how the powershift drives. (Include pics of the shifter/gear select - what ever yous call it. - Actually what do you guys call your auto's gear stick, I hear loads of different names of them?)

Cheerssssss

Paul B)

To those collecting new cars, please post pics and report back on how the powershift drives. (Include pics of the shifter/gear select - what ever yous call it. - Actually what do you guys call your auto's gear stick, I hear loads of different names of them?)

Cheerssssss

Paul B)

The heathen stick.

• Like 2

having picked fiesta up yesterday I cant fault the powershift,i had the new polo 1.4 dsg before this very smooth gear change, fiesta is a smooth gear change, I have to be careful of the right foot, fiesta is very responsive being a 1.6.

a few things polo has that fiesta hasn't, but that the price you pay. Fiesta is a lovely drive, spacious, secure, responsive. I have got 110 miles on a 1/4 tank but I was doing steady 60 on motorway coming back from Batley to wigan made a detour went straight to Southport then back to Wigan.

• Like 1