• Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

Wappygixer

Aircon Only Works When Moving Mk3 On 55 Plate

I've had issues with my aircon only working when I was moving but once I had stopped it would then blow out very hot air.

After a bit of research I found out the fan controller had failed and the fan was no longer coming on as it should when the aircon was switched on.

I have a 2.0 TDCI on a 55 plate. This is the model where Ford changed the fan controller and fan. I searched high and low to find the correct fan but failed. Ford only wanted £400 for a new unit.

I then started looking at replacements from other models and found a guy who had used a fan from an earlier Mondeo.

I picked the fan up today and I've fitted the whole unit with the fan fascia and it all works a treat. The wiring connector is different but the wiring colours are the same, black, brown and blue ECU wires. I was lucky in the the breakers had cut off the loom side connector so all I had to do was solder the wires in.

My aircon now works when stationary, it's just a shame the heat wave has now finished.

I hope others will find this of use.

He means the radiator fan. There's only a single fan for both the radiator and aircon on that model. Mine died just the same.

Hi,

Yes I meant the radiator fan.

The standard 56 onwards model has removable fan control unit. These fail and are not available to but on there own from Ford.

I found the older model bolts right on with just the need to change the electrical plug.

I used the whole fan assembly and cowl.