Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Diesel - Strange Noise After Oil Change

darkkn1ght

Have you checked your air filter housing is screwed down right?

Ps:oil difference between 5-30/5-40 will make no difference whatsoever

I too am having this problem.

oil and filter change and then after when warm, I am getting this whooooing noise :(

confirmed parts are all correct and correct grade oil used, tried re-tightening oil filter and what not but no luck :/

I have read other places about the oil filter housing causing problem but why all of a sudden

Not why.whoooooooo lol

Seriously though if we knew the answer ti that one we'd be rich men eh

do you fill the oil filter prior to fitting?

Nope, I never have done in all my years and never had a problem :/

I never fill the filter and I'm a mechanic. Do oil changes most days. Possibly think if it's only since changing the filter a possible problem inside the filter itself?

Sent from my iPhone

I'm a mechanic too and done hundreds and never filled the filter :/

Tried changing back to the old filter, no difference, both are genuine ford filters.

This is a noggin scratcher!

When the noise is happening the sump itself vibrates a lot, taken the sump off and there is nothing touching, the clearance between the pick up and the sump is fine. It's leading me to think it's the oil pump or do strong to do with the chain. It's just strange as it's only after changing the oil and filter :S

Don't ya just love cars :(

By the sump vibrating, I mean if you put your hand on it, you can feel it, not visually

Strange one with the vibration. I'm guessing u change it every year at it's not like it's because it's fresh oil in an engine that's not looked after. Like the pick up bein blocked. But then u would have pressure problems and the light would come on. Other thing is I have seen that kinda of noise and vibration due to the dual mass flywheel. Sometimes when it's goosed then u get a vibration.

Sent from my iPhone

yeah it's changed every year without a problem but this time, this happens. I have had the sump off and checked the pick up, it's all clear. I am fairly certain it's not the dual mass as the sound is coming from the belt/chain side of the engine. May have to pop into ford and see if they have heard of it :/

As a last resort, will have to strip it down to get access to the chain and oil pump :(

All this from trying to look after your car and then you see cars that never change oil or anything and they are going strong year after year! sigh

I know what u mean that's why I'm getting out of the motor trade ha ha. New job at the end of July. Can't wait. You would think looking after your car you would get no problems but there you go.

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe u could help with my squeaky top mount. Ha ha. I put a post up earlier about it

Sent from my iPhone

I know what u mean that's why I'm getting out of the motor trade ha ha. New job at the end of July. Can't wait. You would think looking after your car you would get no problems but there you go.

Sent from my iPhone

yeahhhh i don't blame you! There's no loss in oil pressure or anything, it's just the noise is so !Removed! annoying!

I can imagine it would be annoying

Sent from my iPhone

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update, I drove up to Thorpe Park and back from Portsmouth last week and ever since then, the noise has magically stopped! Well, it does it once after idling for 10 minutes and then not again so i can live with that :D

It is still frustrating me and other mechanics i have spoke to/shown as to what it was!

maybe it's some kind of air bubble in the oil or elsewhere? i'm not a mechanic so don't know, but the noise magically disappeared from my car too, was probably just coincidence that they took sump off....shouldn't happen though and very frustrating too!! I bet a Ford mechanic would know what it was. Makes me worried to take mine in for next oil change!

Well i spoke to a Ford mechanic who works just round the corner and he worked for them for years and did hundreds of oil changes on these engines and never came across it or even heard of the problem!

Having taken the sump off myself to see if there was anything that would cause it, the only bits you can see is the oil pick up and a high pressure oil feed going up into the block so there's not much there that could solve the problem.

I'm just happy that it doesn't do it any more haha

Happy days then ha ha

Sent from my iPhone

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds very similar but mine didn't stay when I held the revs it only did it as they went up and down. Like I said previously I did about 100 miles on the motorway and now it's stopped so I can't help with an explanation :(

exactly the same noise as I had...almost sounds like a vacuum cleaner!

Had the same noise when i first got my focus 1.8 diesel 02 plate, disappeared after a couple of months of having the car when i got an oil change carried out. 2 years later i got Kwik Fit to do another oil change and the noise started again, so got the original garage to get the oil changed again after 3 weeks of kwik fit doing it, and had another oil filter change but the noise is still there to this day. Only does it once the car is warmed up, usually at an average of 2000 revs. Has everyone got the same model car i have that this happens to?

Seems to be only 1.8 turbo diesels around the same age are the problem!