Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning The Feel Of Power Steering

lon

Hi all,

Just joined, as I just bought an '09 S-max Titanium, 2.0L petrol.

One thing I noticed, is how "active" the power steering feels. I seem to remember this when I first bought a car with PS, so I'm not super concerned.

I previously had a Focus Zetec, and that had a setting for PS, between Sport, Normal and Comfort, IIRC.

I was looking around the menus, but couldn't find anything similair on the S-Max. Can anyone confirm if I should, or shouldn't have this, and where to find it?

Thanks,

Leon

On the Mk 2.5 Focuses, only the deisels had these settings with the power steering. Thats because the steering was electric, or part electric where the petrol versions only had fully hydrolic. It is probably the same with your S-Max.

ok, thanks! That will stop me cycling through every setting again

On the Mk 2.5 Focuses, only the deisels had these settings with the power steering. Thats because the steering was electric, or part electric where the petrol versions only had fully hydrolic. It is probably the same with your S-Max.

+1

Diesel engine models have electric power steering pump,

Petrol models have mechanical.

Not just the diesels with that option...my 1.8 Petrol does

If you don't have the option with the trip computer, there is one thing you could try...

Try the ELM327 trick, and connect the car up to the laptop and you can modify it in there. If the car supports it, you should feel that the car changes its steering behavior, but it is possible you may not have this functionality...

thanks jeebowhite - sounds a bit involved for me! I'll see if I get used to it first before I start mucking about with stuff like that.

Interesting in the diesel v. petrol on here. My old car was a 1.8 petrol, but I just assumed that I'd seen the setting when test driving a diesel and forgotten about it. I think I set it when I first got the car (about 4 years ago), and forgot all about it until i got the new s-max.

Old car was written off, so no way to check it now.

can anyone tell me if the current behaviour is normal? My wife is complaining about it - I've sort of got used to it.

Best I can describe it, if you hit a bump in the road that would deflect the steering, it's effectively amplified by the power steering. Not so much that it would be dangerous, but it's a bit unnatural.

certainly my old focus didn't feel like this, but I'm sure something I have driven before has felt like this.

Power Steering wont necessarily amplify but because its easier to move the rack, it can feel stronger, and certainly in larger cars. I know the difference between my Focus or Cee'd wasn't as noticeable as my CMAX is...

can anyone tell me if the current behaviour is normal? My wife is complaining about it - I've sort of got used to it.

Best I can describe it, if you hit a bump in the road that would deflect the steering, it's effectively amplified by the power steering. Not so much that it would be dangerous, but it's a bit unnatural.

certainly my old focus didn't feel like this, but I'm sure something I have driven before has felt like this.

No that is NOT normal.

The steering on our smax is the same as steering on just about every other car I have driven.

You need to get that looked at - it sounds like a safety hazard.

• 1 month later...

I've always felt the power assistance a little too 'perky' for my liking, especially at speed, but I too have had to learn to live with it.