• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Name: Arturs
  • Ford Model: MK4
  • Year: 2001

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a great weekend ;)

I have a little problem. I have noticed in the past that when I start the car it does has a Squealing noise then after some time it stops. Have been told by a friend that it's not a big deal.

But from today it started to have the same kind of Squealing noise when I accelerate. But also, not always, it's just when I'm accelerating.

Could you please advise what could it be?
I have found that it might be a fan belt or cambelt but I'm a little bit out of funds at the moment so I can't even take my care for diagnostics and check it.

Could you please advise what could be possible causes and how much would it cost to fix the issue?

It's a Ford focus Year 2001. 1.6 Petrol Hatchback 

Thank you.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi  and welcome to the forum,  it sounds like the alternator drive belt slipping under load, cost around £20, it can be a bit of a fiddle to do..

#3 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi  and welcome to the forum,  it sounds like the alternator drive belt slipping under load, cost around £20, it can be a bit of a fiddle to do..

I don't mind wasting my whole day with a car. That is absolutely ok with me.

I want to learn more and more about mechanics. I'm a computer engineer & programmer but I would also love to learn more about cars so i can fix things like that so I don't have waste 100s of pounds for servicing. 

Is it possible to do it with normal spanners and/or screwdrivers?  Or do i need any special tools? Do i need to lift up the car and access anything from the bottom?

#4 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

No special tools needed for this job,  take a photo of the belt before you take it off, so that you know which way it fits, if you have space to get to the belt, do it from the top, if not the bottom. 

#5 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

I have read some articles about it. It say that it has to be changed if there are some cracks all over the belt. But thing is...i don't have any... :(
Here are some pics: 

So i assume that it's not the belt that is faulty in this case.

What else could be wrong with it? o_O

#6 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

could still be the belt. rubber can get a bit stiffer over time which can cause slippage

also look out for any moisture on the belt...such as a leak from the water pump (thats the larger pulley in middle of pics)

another possible is a worn tensioner or guide pulley..they can dry out and cause the noise on initial start up/acceleration...but most likely, its just the belt

#7 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

could still be the belt. rubber can get a bit stiffer over time which can cause slippage

also look out for any moisture on the belt...such as a leak from the water pump (thats the larger pulley in middle of pics)

another possible is a worn tensioner or guide pulley..they can dry out and cause the noise on initial start up/acceleration...but most likely, its just the belt

Damn, i do have a feeling that i will have to get it down to a garage for a diagnostics.
but the thing about them is that they will not be able to tell it for sure as well. Or they will?
It's more or less just a matter of changing the parts one by one and finding what exactly is faulty.

Right? Or not? :)

Btw, what could be consequences if i don't change the belt of w/e is faulty?

#8 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

if it was me, i would change the belt anyway, especially if its original, and go from there

not sure what you mean bt w/e faulty....but

belt can just be annoying, but if it is slippage, can get worse and effect anything the belt drives, such as w/pump, alternator charging etc

tensioners/guides can break up if the bearings within are causing the noise, this in turn will throw the belt which might in turn cause further problems

if something is leaking onto belt, then yes, problem can get a lot more serious if left.

#9 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

if it was me, i would change the belt anyway, especially if its original, and go from there

not sure what you mean bt w/e faulty....but

belt can just be annoying, but if it is slippage, can get worse and effect anything the belt drives, such as w/pump, alternator charging etc

tensioners/guides can break up if the bearings within are causing the noise, this in turn will throw the belt which might in turn cause further problems

if something is leaking onto belt, then yes, problem can get a lot more serious if left.

How can i check for a spillage?

Start the car and look at the belt and things around it for anything while somebody else is accelerating?

Or there might be any better way of checking it?

Thanks

#10 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

By the way, I'm sorry for being so annoying. But I'm looking for a difference between a fan belt and cambelt and I can't seem to find what is the difference?
Is it the same belt or are they two different ones?

Thanks

#11 MartynS

MartynS

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Name: Martyn
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Two different ones - the one in your photos is the fan belt (or auxiliary drive belt or loads of other names I forget!).  The cambelt is hidden from view 'inside' the engine and is what drives the camshafts.  This one is toothed as it must remain in sync between the crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulleys for the engine to work.  Some engines use a chain instead of a belt for this.

Regarding spillage, just look around the area for anything wet that could be dripping onto it, probably easier (and safer) to get in close when it isn't running though!

#12 scudney

scudney

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Ford Model: galaxy

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

they are too different belts,on most cars that have cambelts this tends to be covered usually by a cam cover while your fan belt and other belts are exposed so you can see them,hope this helps

#13 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thank you guys for the help. I do appreciate it. I know I'm annoying but I just want to learn :(

I have dome some  more research and i think that best thing to do is to change:

• Cambelt Kit (includes cambelt itself, Idler and Tensioner pulleys)
  • Fan belt
  • Alternator belt (I think it's same as fan belt)
  • Water pump

I hear people are saying that best thing to do is to change all of these at the same time.

Don't know how much is it going to cost me but hopefully i will be able to do the job for £250

If I do change all the belts at the same time it will cost me just a little bit more then changing one fan belt as the mechanic will do everything in one go.

What do you think. Is it worth to do all of this? 

#14 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

cambelts on the 1.6 should be changed at 100k miles or 10 years...so up to you if its not due...but if you do, yes, its important you change the whole kit and not just the belt

you dont need to change the water pump at the same time as this is drivern by the auxillary belt, not the cam belt...only takes approx 2 hours to replace,from scratch,  so really, up to you if you change it same time as aux belt....

easiest way to eliminate the cambelt/pulleys with the noise, is remove the aux belt, run the engine for short time to see if noise is gone...if it has, then its aux belt or pulleys...if it hasnt then cam belt assy needs checking

#15 WinDrop

WinDrop

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

cambelts on the 1.6 should be changed at 100k miles or 10 years...so up to you if its not due...but if you do, yes, its important you change the whole kit and not just the belt

you dont need to change the water pump at the same time as this is drivern by the auxillary belt, not the cam belt...only takes approx 2 hours to replace,from scratch,  so really, up to you if you change it same time as aux belt....

easiest way to eliminate the cambelt/pulleys with the noise, is remove the aux belt, run the engine for short time to see if noise is gone...if it has, then its aux belt or pulleys...if it hasnt then cam belt assy needs checking

Is Aux belt same as auxiliary belt same as serpentine belt and same as alternator belt? :)

As far as I know if you remove the alternator belt you are not allowed to start the engine as it might do serious damage to it.

Or that relates only to Timing belt (aka cambelt) ? 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users