Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate Courtesy Cars

jeebowhite

Before I continue, maybe I should qualify - I appreciate the convenience that they offer, but the engines they offer...

I took my CMAX to the poorly cars hospital down the road to fix its weird ABS issues, and the dealer has given me a new motor (650miles on the clock). its a 13 plate Fiesta, but its a 1.25 80hp, and it just feels so sleepy!

I suspect its more a case that I am overly familiar with the turbo and extra 30hp, but just putting my foot on the gas it just doesnt like to move!

Question to you - how are you when you drive a courtesy car? do you find yourself in the same situation? I know recently members have had their vehicle in for repair and ended up with things like daeweoo matoz' and similar... I thought that the benefit of offering you a sweet courtesy car was that you appreciate the look and file and it tempts you to chop your car in and buy one there and then!

• Like 2

I had that pokey little Chevy Aveo last year and had to drive it like a boy racer to get any kind of life out of it.

I believe a courtesy car should be of comparable type/performance to your usual vehicle.

I had that pokey little Chevy Aveo last year and had to drive it like a boy racer to get any kind of life out of it.

I believe a courtesy car should be of comparable type/performance to your usual vehicle.

It used to be like that years ago, depending on what you drove depended on what they gave you, but these days they shoe horn you in cars so small they can only fit engines with 3 cylinders in them, our lass had a small Citroen the other week as she had a little bump, it was horrible, why anyone would buy one I have no idea.

The only 2 times in recent history I've had courtesy cars, are after a collision, neither of which were my fault, the first time I ended up with a, (And don't shoot me), Poxhall Vectra, nice car, but totally uncomfortable, the seats were like sitting on a wooden bench, and the second time was a VW golf 2.0 TDI.

Of the two the golf was the better, I enjoyed it so much I considered buying one, and for a staunch ford driver that's saying something, other than that I've not had much to do with courtesy cars

I had a virtually brand new pug (1000ish miles and still finding bits of protective film over switches)

1.2 petrol that sounded like an old tractor! For it's size, it wasn't too bad - just a pity it sounded awful and then interior was apparently a 99p store plastic special.

I spoke to the chap at the accident repair centre and he was mortified when I told him how crap it was. He did offer me an Alfa 159...until he realised itt was already out :-(

Its crazy, if you have a "luxury" motor, you get a "luxury" car... I have a mate who bought a BMW 3 series, he had a van rear end him whilst he was on business, started driving a Jaguar S type for the next three weeks.

But then for us folks, maybe we aren't luxurious enough...

Again, I love the idea, and the fact that I still have four wheels under me is appreciated! Beats faffing around looking for a lift to the office 30 miles away.... When I had the Cee'd I was given a courtesy car by that dealer of a 1.6 Nissan Note Diesel Auto and it was a nice motor to drive, it was quick, and didn't feel awkward to drive. Then you compare it to the Fiesta, which (is nice enough to drive) but its just underpowered, and when you start an overtake, you dont really want to be shouting at the car in the hope that it is the only thing that will increase its speed from 60 - 70 in less than 20 minutes!

I think the idea of a courtesy car is to see you through and keep you mobile till you get your own car back, so anything with 4 wheels and get you from A to B will do.

The other options, if you dont like them is the bus, bicycle or walk :lol:

• Like 1

I think the idea of a courtesy car is to see you through and keep you mobile till you get your own car back, so anything with 4 wheels and get you from A to B will do.

True...but, it's human nature to moan about them :-P

agreed... My rant was mainly sparked from the fact that work has been a nightmare, and I have been dreading the last few days, then I am stuck in the outside line jumping up and down in the drivers seat trying to speed it up (Jeremy Clarkson style!)

I'm happy now though, got my bus back!

True...but, it's human nature to moan about them :-P

fair enough, i can understand that one :lol:

Ive only been given a courtesy car once (12 months ago). I was given an old R reg honda something, it was filthy, had a slow puncture, running low on oil, and smelt awful................... It was great, i got to keep driving while mine was off the road :lol:

It also allowed me to drive something different for a change and appretiate mine more.

The annoying thing about it is, when i took my car in to frauds two years ago to fix a few problems. which ment I ended up having to go back 4 times as they were absolutely useless and didnt do the job right the first time.

Each time though they would say leave it with us and we will give you a ring when its done. And everytime, a differet bloke would come in to drop a car off, in a fancy suit and briefcase, and each time ford staff would run around after them, kiss their !Removed! and give them a courtesy car and say it will be ready for whatever time in the afternoon. Just because I wasnt some big business man I got frig all and would have to wait a week, without a car, just to find out they had screwed it up again.

Unfortunately commercial business gets priority, which is a shame, if only they had a dedicated team who deal with commercials and a seperate dedicated team to residential use! that would give better results!

Still I cant complain, my dealership seems to be one of very few who are honest and trust worthy!

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I'd tell myself the same, but then I ended up with a 62 plate Fiat Panda once as a courtesy car. I'm sure I need say nothing more.

The 61 reg Mazda2 I had on another occasion though was great!

James mate don't forget your cmax is a diesel and has alot of low end torque that's something petrol engines lack. Never had a courtesy car myself but if i did i would enjoy redlining it

dont I know it Kurt, but even trying to redline the begger, it didnt want to move!

Having said that, it had so few miles, its probably still breaking in, maybe thats why it refused to put out for me...

Wasn't it once said that hire cars are the fastest cars in the world? :P

I have had a couple of Ka's and Fiesta's as courtesy cars and while they are basic transportation with miserly engines, the abuse they can withstand is amazing ;)

fastest cars maybe, but once they're run in!

the loan car i got when my forfour went in for work doing was a big leap from the 1.1 engine in mine. it was a 62 plate C220 CDI. have to say it was nice but i was glad to be back in my own car.

my mums focus (number 2) when some one rear ended it, it was just the bumper that was knocked off on one end, got a 62 plate 1.6 zafira. now my mum doesnt like vauxhall cars but she liked the high driving position

I like the driving position which is why I went for the CMAX :) so if she does go for an upgrade...

I like the driving position which is why I went for the CMAX :) so if she does go for an upgrade...

im trying a non ford car next.. an ovlov hopefully but another focus is also a posibility

• 2 years later...

I was going to create a new thread after picking up a courtesy car this morning but found this one.

Actually I don't hate it at all, I think I've been quite lucky to get a 15 reg Fiesta Ecoboost (100PS). It has just less than 2000 miles on it and is very nice to drive. It's my first time driving the 1.0L so I was very happy when I walked up to it and found the Ecoboost badge on the back lol.

I'll take it for a proper "test drive" after work and give it a proper running in for them, but so far just driving through Leeds to work it was very impressive, doesn't feel down on power after getting out of the ST, which is usually the case with courtesy cars.

• Like 1

Phil - why the courtesy car? Hope you didn't end up in a prang or something.

It's just this ongoing problem with the creaking noise that I've complained about in several threads on here lol. It's been looked at 3 times so far by the local dealer, so now it's at a bigger dealer so hopefully they have a more "skilled" mechanic who can sort it.

I just took the the ecoboost for a drive on some country roads and I'm very impressed with the engine and the car overall. Even though it's only the 100ps engine it really has some pull if you use the gears properly. And the extra body roll compared to the ST only adds to the amusement lol, and means it has a really nice ride. I love that 3-cylinder sound as well, although most of the time it's so quiet you can barely hear it :)

• Like 1

many years age a had a xr4i and the clutch went ,the car thy lent me was a skoda it was crap every time you went round a corner the fuel gauge went from full to empty the kids (young) hide I the back so nobody could not see them :D

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club