Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rev's Hanging While Gear Changing (Again) Duh

stooge75

This is SO annoying. I had this happening every now & then a while back then it stopped ,now its back again.

It only happens every now & then. When changing gears the revs hang. If I double clutch it drops the revs. It cant be good for clutch etc,as I can feel a little surge when letting clutch out as the revs are too high for the gear change.

Before anyone says that the engine keeps revs a tad high for smoother gear changes,it's not that.Im talking way high & way too long.

Ive seen a few posts online suggesting the clutch pedal switch, but mechanic mate said its definitely NOT this to blame.The main function of it is for the cruise-control gizmo (resume).

Im wondering if its the accelerator FBW pedal unit.anyone? someone else mustve had this happen on theirs lol

Could be the TPS is sticking, which is causing the signal to stick and the revs to stay...

Could be worth giving it a rub down and check over, and see if that helps?

Im on way to pick up a spare accelerator pedal to see if its that. Only 2 nuts holdin it on so easy enough job

got to be worth a shot! otherwise my instinct is telling me the TPS may be involved...

Unless im missing something i didnt think diesels had a TPS.all electric.no?

unless you mean the pedal sensor(fly by wire),thats all part of the accelerator unit/potentiometer?

just been to Ford & got a new clutch pedal sensor=£11 inc vat.(surprised as theyre £18 i think on eBay.

Ive changed over pedal assembly's so its not that.

asked the mech at ford if he's heard of this happening before,& guess what....."No!"

When I asked about clutch sensor he said,"mmmmm could be"."Has it got cruise control?".I said yes it does.

I have a sneaky feeling it could still be this PCM playing up.pain in the !Removed! Mondeos!Grrrr

If this doesnt solve it,next step is getting Ford to plug the 'black box flight recorder' from IDS into car,& see what happens then.

very odd... I thought that even diesels had the TPS though, I dont think it works any other way but am possibly wrong... I love that dealers tend to say "never heard of that" until you pay for diagnostics, then 9 times out of 10 all of a sudden, they have! lol

Nah its all integrated into the accelerator pedal(potentiometer),that then sends signal to PCM

Dont know why but I thought that the potentimeter was the same system as a TPS, clearly I was wrong!

Maybe the black box is the only thing that will help, although how it will tell when you have taken your foot off the gas, and when the signal actually works...

I seem to be getting somewhere with this. A new clutch pedal sensor fitted & no more revs hanging.......yet!lol
I opened the old one & the contacts were covered in a black sludge.(maybe old wd40).
I find it laughable that ford have a potentially crap electronic system like this. They never cease to amaze me,& continue to make these things even more complicated & even more unserviceable.

update: still no revs hanging,so.....(dont wanna tempt fate etc lol)

How much did it cost in all for all the parts?

clutch sensor was £11 odd.i now have a spare accelerator pedal unit,as my original probably was working ok.

This hangin rev problem annoyed me for weeks too.all down to a sensor?amazing

update:seems to have cured it.

• Like 1

excellent news! At least its not a problem any longer!

Yeah. I thought it was maybe pcm related. Thank god for a simple fix

• 6 years later...

I have this problem with my mondeo.i have bought the new switch but I can't get my hand in to reach the existing one. Is there an easy way to do this? 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2013 at 5:33 PM, stooge75 said:

Ive seen a few posts online suggesting the clutch pedal switch, but mechanic mate said its definitely NOT this to blame.The main function of it is for the cruise-control gizmo (resume).

Moral of this tale? mechanic mates vs. online posts: no contest! 

• Like 1