Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Ford Projector Puddle Lights Mk2 & Mk2.5 Focus 05-12 Front Doors

Lenny

Following up the pop rivets i done both sides today wiring in one side, only had time for one

4m32.jpg

Cable coming from under the speaker as insulation no need to worry about cut cables. The replacement longer pop rivets worked perfectly with ease. :- )

Tapped into the footwell lights under the glove box. sliced off a bit of the sleeve exposing the wires and crimped it.

2ne8.jpg

Ithen ran a feed off that and put together a loom long enough to pull out from under the glove box footwell without removing any panels. The loom has rear footwell lights white cable and puddle lights black cable, the other feed wired into the connector block is for additional mods wiring such as the bird bath lights lenny suggested :- ) finished off by wrapping it all with black electrical insulation tape.

bh9o.jpg

Still not 100% done though, i now need to wiring in the driver side puddle light and driver side rear footwell lights, basically connect it all as it's already wired and waiting.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Finally gave this mod a go today after waiting for some good weather to arrive.

Had spent a while trying to find alternative to wiring into the footwell lights as I'd have wanted to route through the existing door loom and that was just wasn't looking practical. So plan B after getting up and running with the ELM327 kit was to use the puddle lamps feed to the mirror - my ST already had the wiring in the loom for this so I spliced into the feed and ground at the door module connector.

Went for a variation on the usual logo too, as is the norm for me the job (plus wiring up and fitting folding mirrors) took me all day but I didn't rush it and some bits and pieces took a bit of thought and care to get as neat as possible. Got a few photos of my efforts through the day....

IMG_2049a.jpg

IMG_2047a.jpg

and the end result

IMG_2054a.jpg

Only done the drivers side so far, thinking I maybe should have done passenger side first instead to iron out any niggles :unsure:

• Like 1

Finally gave this mod a go today after waiting for some good weather to arrive.

Had spent a while trying to find alternative to wiring into the footwell lights as I'd have wanted to route through the existing door loom and that was just wasn't looking practical. So plan B after getting up and running with the ELM327 kit was to use the puddle lamps feed to the mirror - my ST already had the wiring in the loom for this so I spliced into the feed and ground at the door module connector.

Went for a variation on the usual logo too, as is the norm for me the job (plus wiring up and fitting folding mirrors) took me all day but I didn't rush it and some bits and pieces took a bit of thought and care to get as neat as possible. Got a few photos of my efforts through the day....

IMG_2049a.jpg

IMG_2047a.jpg

and the end result

IMG_2054a.jpg

Only done the drivers side so far, thinking I maybe should have done passenger side first instead to iron out any niggles :unsure:

looks good mate,

Some time its dark and dry,

You could have a fiddle with some pvc tape to block out the overlap in the white circles,

looks good mate,

Some time its dark and dry,

You could have a fiddle with some pvc tape to block out the overlap in the white circles,

Good thinking Lenny cheers :)

I measured everything up to get spacing of the LEDs right for the height of the doorpad off the ground but must have gotten it a little bit out :(

• Like 1

Good thinking Lenny cheers :)

I measured everything up to get spacing of the LEDs right for the height of the doorpad off the ground but must have gotten it a little bit out :(

its difficult to gauge the spread of light mate,

Even the level of the ground would affect the outcome,

also your ST are Gen2 and the ford ones are Gen3

If you can exchange the ST ines for Gen3 they will be the same 6000k white as the ford logo.

Looks great as it is though just sayin.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link Lenny. These actually look good but just was thinking would it be easy to change the batterys when need or would you have to strip the door card off? and how long would the battery's last in the car? I take it there must be a switch or senor that knows when the door is opened or closed. But yes a good job and I thought the price was not bad either.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Lenny. These actually look good but just was thinking would it be easy to change the batterys when need or would you have to strip the door card off? and how long would the battery's last in the car? I take it there must be a switch or senor that knows when the door is opened or closed. But yes a good job and I thought the price was not bad either.

People would need to remove door card to change batterys didnt think of that mate,

But generally led's are low power consumption

Unless the unit is small enough to fit somewhere else perhaps stick on door pocket,

They seem to work off a magnet,

Stick magnet to door frame, when magnet is in contact with the unit it cuts power off

• Like 1

I saw these when I was searching the web to see what I could get for mine, hadn't thought about how you'd change the batteries.

Having to remove the doorpad would rule them out for me, every time I do that no matter how careful I am I manage to break 1 or more of the pin retainers off the doorpad instead of the pin releasing. I'm running out of off-cuts from fitting my second boot light which I'm using to plastic weld the pad back together :(

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure those self powered ones just stick inside the doors not between the frame and door cards.

• Like 1

People would need to remove door card to change batterys didnt think of that mate,

But generally led's are low power consumption

Unless the unit is small enough to fit somewhere else perhaps stick on door pocket,

They seem to work off a magnet,

Stick magnet to door frame, when magnet is in contact with the unit it cuts power off

They do look good but myself personally I think I'd prefer the other type that harwires in. But saying that wireless is still very handy.

• Like 1

Mine are functioning fine fed off the puddle lamps wiring in the door, so for people with the right looms and access to ELM 327 or similar you can set the feature active even if your mirrors don't have the lights.

Would save the extra work involved in wiring into the courtesy light wiring in the cabin - mine lights come on whenever the door is opened, just they'll stay on a bit longer after the doors are closed until you lock the car or the puddle light timeout is reached.

• Like 1

They do look good but myself personally I think I'd prefer the other type that harwires in. But saying that wireless is still very handy.

+1 all considered

I hadnt thought of battery change etc.

I think when there so close to the power supply better to take the time to wire them in.

Each to there own though,

Maybe good for boot compartment or hidden inside bumper or grill,

Range of possibilities being wireless,

Voy racers could even stick em on the peak of the cap facing up towards the face of it proudly displaying the vauxhall logo :)

• Like 1

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM, troy45 said:

Mine are functioning fine fed off the puddle lamps wiring in the door, so for people with the right looms and access to ELM 327 or similar you can set the feature active even if your mirrors don't have the lights.

Would save the extra work involved in wiring into the courtesy light wiring in the cabin - mine lights come on whenever the door is opened, just they'll stay on a bit longer after the doors are closed until you lock the car or the puddle light timeout is reached.

Sadly mine didnt have these cables in the loom so i had to retro fit.

All done now though,

Great for those who do have the factory terminals they get to enjoy eight hours of there lives doing other things,

Insteof routing cables :lol:

• 1 year later...

When taking off the door panel after undoing the screws. Is it just a case of pulling it hard? Can't work out what I need to do and don't want anything bending or breaking haha

• Like 1

amazon £6.99 .... Are they the same units? 

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Amazon £6.99 .... Are they the same units? 

image.png

There's different Generations of these Cree logo puddle lights mate,

1st Generation were a bit yellowish light and logo wasn't perfect

2nd Generation were perfect white but still logo was a bit blurred 

Mine are 3rd Generation nice white and good logo.

4th Generation are battery powerd units work with magnets. 

Ask seller what generation are they or if it says in description mate, Third generation are best in my opinion

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonanstee said:

When taking off the door panel after undoing the screws. Is it just a case of pulling it hard? Can't work out what I need to do and don't want anything bending or breaking haha

Remove bolts from under door handle then work your way along bottom and sides start at bottom and gently pull horizontally towards yourself to pop out clips 👍

spare clips available very cheap pack of 20 on eBay i bought pack as i broke a few when fitting Speakers 😥

IMG_20150124_081658_zpsfn4wfps6_edit_142

• Like 1

I managed to in clip the top right corner by pulling at it. Does it require a lot of force? How many clips are there?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jonanstee said:

I managed to in clip the top right corner by pulling at it. Does it require a lot of force? How many clips are there?

Can be a bit tight but once the two bolts are removed and the electric window loom unplugged from switch on door card; it's only the plastic plugs/clips holding it in, 

Quick pull at bottom and it will come off quickly.

There's around 10 maybe 12 in total 

6 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Can be a bit tight but once the two bolts are removed and the electric window loom unplugged from switch on door card; it's only the plastic plugs/clips holding it in, 

Quick pull at bottom and it will come off quickly.

There's around 10 maybe 12 in total 

Will have to give it a go again tomorrow. Thanks lenny

• Like 1

I got the panel off. How the hell do I get it back on 😂😂

Line up the clips and thump it on with the palm of your hand hitting the panel over the clip positions.

47 minutes ago, Russ said:

Line up the clips and thump it on with the palm of your hand hitting the panel over the clip positions.

Half the clips are in the door and half them are in the panel. Where should they be? Haha

Haven't taken my 'door cards' off but I'd have thought they should be on the reverse of the door card and they would fit into the mating part in the door?' (Last time I removed a door card was on a fiesta mk3 about 15 years ago!)