Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

enzo

New Mot Rules On Steering Lock

1 post in this topic

Since I had my Fiesta 02 plate, now for a few months, the steering lock doesn't work. Was panicking when MOT due last week as now a failure according to VOSA. My mechanic friend said it is a pain to fix and time consuming. He took it to the MOT test centre and kept quiet. It failed.... but not on the steering lock. Had brakes imbalance across axle, corroded rear brake pipe and wishbone assembly. An afternoon of work and he took it back and it passed.

Can anyone clarify a potential grey area. I have read on a couple of forums that if there is an alternative locking mechanism then this is acceptable and MOT testers can use their discretion. Could be a full steering wheel cover lock, a hidden ignition switch or just the standard immobiliser on a car be suffice?

Many thanks in advance.