Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec Mod Questions

mongman

Having just bought a Focus Zetec (2010) 100 1.6, I have a few ideas I will want to implement, and so I thought I'd ask a few questions before I go out and splash my dosh.

1. from what I have read and seen the radio can be changed, I want to install a navigation radio, how hard is this and can anyone recommend a model fo radio?

2. Change interior light bulbs to bright white LEDs, can anyone recommend a bulb or what type I should be looking out for.

3. Is it possible to change the headlights to white LED Bulbs too? Or would I have to stay with Xeon bulbs?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

You cant fit with led headlight bulbs as they quite simply dont output enough light. If your after a nice icy white colour id fit either Philips diamond vision or osram hyper blue bulbs which give a nice crisp white light then get led side lights that way you wont blind people by fitting incorrectly fitted HIDs(xenon). I will warn in advance that the bulbs ive mentioned arent strictly road legal same with led sidelights but the chances of getting pulled for them are minimal and even if you do you'll most likely just be told to change them. HIDs are a different story they can actually void your insurance etc unless the car comes fitted with them as standard from the manufacturer. Retro fitting them is all but illegal

Thanks for that, I am all very new to this stuff, but do you perhaps have a link to those products? I'd prefer to stay within the boundaries of the law if possible but still have nice bright white lights.

Having just bought a Focus Zetec (2010) 100 1.6, I have a few ideas I will want to implement, and so I thought I'd ask a few questions before I go out and splash my dosh.

1. from what I have read and seen the radio can be changed, I want to install a navigation radio, how hard is this and can anyone recommend a model fo radio?

2. Change interior light bulbs to bright white LEDs, can anyone recommend a bulb or what type I should be looking out for.

3. Is it possible to change the headlights to white LED bulbs too? Or would I have to stay with Xeon bulbs?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Damien,

For LED Bulbs choose Cree

But for high and low beam either go all out on HID Kit or purchase Osram Cool blue intence bulbs nice white road legal,

Cree Q5 revers bulbs are fantastic 6000kelvin

Most interior bulb fittings are T10 w5 units too,

Since you're looking for mods you may like to browse my list of guides below this post, just click on each one to be brought to it.

Hi Lenny, thanks for all of that, I have already gone through all your mods in your signature and some are real gems! Your car looks fantastic.

Having only bought the car on Tuesday, I am a bit cash strapped so small mods for me for now. I have seen via these forums that the radio / headunit can be changed for a navigation radio which would be super useful to me, but I am going to have to save up for that one.

So for the meanwhile I am just going to do the lights etc, I have already checked and my footwell contains the fitting and are wired for the footwell lights, i'll just order some and have a little test. My car is the midnight black so I am thinking of color schemes, and might do a black & yellow interior but on a small scale like seat covers, gear shift gator, hand brake gator etc etc.

• Like 1

From what I have read online, it appears the Osram bulbs are not so great, so I am toying with the idea of some Philips bulbs.

I am also a bit confused about soemthing, I know my car is a 2009 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, now I see everyone listing mk1, mk2 etc, does mine fall into ony of these categories? I know it simply as Zetec 1.6.

On that not, an induction kit for my car, onyone able to send me a link to one that would fit and one they recommend?

thanks in advance.

• Like 1

From what I have read online, it appears the Osram bulbs are not so great, so I am toying with the idea of some Philips bulbs.

I am also a bit confused about soemthing, I know my car is a 2009 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, now I see everyone listing mk1, mk2 etc, does mine fall into ony of these categories? I know it simply as Zetec 1.6.

On that not, an induction kit for my car, onyone able to send me a link to one that would fit and one they recommend?

thanks in advance.

Your focus is a Mk2.5

Its exactly the same chassis, wiring and internals as the Mk2

But the body panels attached are different,

Your headlight bulbs are:

H1 high beam

H7 low beam

And

H11 fog lights if fitted,

Check out my guide in the list below this post on fitting a Green Performance induction filter aswell as a link to purchase from priracing with a forum discount code

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Or if your loaded with cash,

Purchase a K&N57s induction kit.

• Like 1

Ah Awesome, thats going to help me alot! Thanks for that Lenny!

For light I was thinking these, but bth the H1 and H7 bulbs :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370729313660?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What you rate?

These cosmos bulbs claim to be fantastic but fellow member R1hno fitted these and his reviews were not great to be honest mate,

Most people highly rate either Osram Cool Blue, Osram nightbreakerplus, or Philips blue vision as quality bulbs,

I personally have Osram night breaker plus in high/low beam, 6000k led fogs and parking bulbs.

Led fogs are complete dirt but the osrams make up for their lack of illumination,

The fogs look just like HID though so when crushing the street with parking light and fog light on it looks sweet lol

I'll try get R1hno's review on these Mtec Cosmos and link you to it mate,

Thanks for comments too, I've missed reading your earlier response message until now.

• Like 1

Great, thanks. I'll wait for that review before I purchase any.

Great, thanks. I'll wait for that review before I purchase any.

Perhaps I am mistaken and they are good,

I've searched his content and found this thread where he recommended them to others

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/34299-xenon-headlights/

Best thing to do,

I'll send him a link to this thread requesting his review.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and go for the MTEC bulbs. If they are crud I'll change to the Osram.

• Like 1

Ordered them, should be here Wednesday. Regardless of make, im pretty sure that either will be better than the stock bulbs I have!

• Like 1

All my bulbs arrived today, H1, H7, footwell and 4 LEDs for plate etc.

Quick question but the Haynes manuals, I assume mine would fall in the 05-09 manual?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Petrol-Service-and-Repair-Manual-Haynes-Service-and-Repair-Manuals-/231015511467?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item35c998f5ab

Yes that

All my bulbs arrived today, H1, H7, footwell and 4 LEDs for plate etc.

Quick question but the Haynes manuals, I assume mine would fall in the 05-09 manual?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Petrol-Service-and-Repair-Manual-Haynes-Service-and-Repair-Manuals-/231015511467?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item35c998f5ab

Yes that's the correct manual.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Hyrule.

Bought myself a second hand pair of DRLs, I should have them by the weekend. Not 100% sure if thye have the dimmer relay, but I know they come with the piggyback fuse bits.

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend me a really bright w5w bulb for the courtesy light? I got one, but mine only takes a single bulb and the LED i got is crud.

• Like 1

New MTEC lights are in. The dipped beams are great, night and crisp white, clean...however the brights have a yellow tinge to them which is what I was trying to avoid, however saying that......they are bright and light up the whole road and quite a distance length wise! Much better than the OEM bulbs.

Still awaiting an answer on some really bright W5W bulbs that emit light in all directions.

• Like 1

image_zpsf065d251.jpeg

DRLs are in!!!

I must give LOTS of credit to Lenny who i have been emailing constantly

all day regarding this and the man has been a complete legend in helping

me sort out wiring and telling me what could be wrong when they didn't

work 1st time. He answered all my annoying emails and eventually we got

it sorted! Thanks again mate!

• Like 3

DRLs are in!!!

I must give LOTS of credit to Lenny who i have been emailing constantly

all day regarding this and the man has been a complete legend in helping

me sort out wiring and telling me what could be wrong when they didn't

work 1st time. He answered all my annoying emails and eventually we got

it sorted! Thanks again mate!

Ah its cool Damien mate,

They look really good fitted on your focus,

And you done all the hard work today, I just sat by the computer ;)

• Like 1

I've been hit by the dreaded "bonnet lock problem" managed to get into the bonnet and removed the lock and lead, tried to get them to snap back in but just cant seemt o get it right, and tips or ideas?

Is there a replacement kit one can buy? Hopefully one that is not the same type of system if you know what I am on about?

• 4 weeks later...

Your focus is a Mk2.5

Its exactly the same chassis, wiring and internals as the Mk2

But the body panels attached are different,

Your headlight bulbs are:

H1 high beam

H7 low beam

And

H11 fog lights if fitted,

Check out my guide in the list below this post on fitting a Green Performance induction filter aswell as a link to purchase from priracing with a forum discount code

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

Or if your loaded with cash,

Purchase a K&N57s induction kit.

That Green performance filter Lenny, is it a direct swop with my current bog standard Ford special? I wouldn't need to purchase anything else or modify anything else?

• Like 1

That Green performance filter Lenny, is it a direct swop with my current bog standard Ford special? I wouldn't need to purchase anything else or modify anything else?

That's correct the Green Cotton filter is a straight swap,

See my fitting guide in the list below this post, may differ on your petrol model but they at all designed to be a direct replacement

• Like 1