Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 - Strange Idle Problem

TheStarkFactor

Hi All,

New member to the forum and new Ford Focus owner as of this evening!

I've just taking ownership of a Ford Focus MK2 (2007 Registration) 1.6 Zetec in Black.

This car was an exchange by the dealer (Evans Halshaw) as my last car, purchased only three weeks ago, developed an engine fault so the Focus was taken as an alternative.

Anyway, I am quite happy with the car aside from one thing. I noticed tonight that when the car is idle that it feels quite rough, the rev limiter does not generally move from 800rpm however you can feel the engine physically 'shaking' for a few seconds then it stops then it does it again.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be so I can decide on what to do next?

If it is something as simple as plugs or injectors then I might pop in some new plugs or run through some Redex or BG44K.

If it is something that is more serious or requires further investigation then I will be going back to the dealer.

Appreciate any input! :)

I would take it back and ask them to sort, if you put it off and mess about with it then it will give them an excuse to fob you off. I would go back tomorrow.

I would take it back and ask them to sort, if you put it off and mess about with it then it will give them an excuse to fob you off. I would go back tomorrow.

Hi,

Unfortunately due to the previous issues I have experienced and the location of the dealer I cannot simply take it back tomorrow though I can arrange for it be checked by another dealer in the network perhaps sometime next week.

Though before I do anything I would like to hear from other owners as to the potential cause so that I am informed as I can be when dealing with the garage.

I get a similar sort of thing but have been for since 2010 ive put it down to characteristics. Only does it when stationary and for about 3 secs a time.

If it was something serious i would think nearly 3 years of ownership would of made it worse etc but nope. Get it a full service and run until a fault pops up on dash. You could take it to dealer but they wont find anything. My sister took her fiesta to darlington evan halshaw and they couldnt find anything yet the car was going into limp mode etc...took it to a bus fitter and he said injector and did the work.

I get a similar sort of thing but have been for since 2010 ive put it down to characteristics. Only does it when stationary and for about 3 secs a time.

If it was something serious i would think nearly 3 years of ownership would of made it worse etc but nope. Get it a full service and run until a fault pops up on dash. You could take it to dealer but they wont find anything. My sister took her fiesta to darlington evan halshaw and they couldnt find anything yet the car was going into limp mode etc...took it to a bus fitter and he said injector and did the work.

Ha, sounds like Evans Halshaw alright!

I've emailed the dealer anyway and asked them to take a look so will see what happens.

I think I may run some injector cleaner through to see if that helps and I have read on other threads that cleaning the Idle Control Valve can often help .... though I can't seem to find a guide on how to do it :(

Ha, sounds like Evans Halshaw alright!

I've emailed the dealer anyway and asked them to take a look so will see what happens.

I think I may run some injector cleaner through to see if that helps and I have read on other threads that cleaning the Idle Control Valve can often help .... though I can't seem to find a guide on how to do it :(

I had exactly the same issue on my car.

I had to change injectors as one of them was just leaking. It wasn't spraying as it should it was just spraying.

New injectors are quite expensive, they are around £90 a peace and you also have to know which one to change.

I went to a injector specialized shop and they said it's not really worth trying any of those injector cleaners as if injector is quite damaged already you will only make it worst.

You can check injectors without taking them off. Just ask any garage that does diagnostics to connect your focus to the computer and check the spray patern. They have like a diagram on how each injector reacts and how much fuel to they spray out.

At the end all I did is a bought a second-hand injectors with a rail on eBay for £25 and changed them myself.

But as you bought a car from a dealer you should take it back straight away and ask back your money as this is second time they rip you off.

its a common charecteristic of the engine due to the way it reduces idle emissions especially on the ti 115 bhp version i wouldnt worry about it ide be moire worried that you bought it from evans halshaw ide go over that car with a fine tooth comb and get stuff sorted now

its a common charecteristic of the engine due to the way it reduces idle emissions especially on the ti 115 bhp version i wouldnt worry about it ide be moire worried that you bought it from evans halshaw ide go over that car with a fine tooth comb and get stuff sorted now

This is the 1.6 Zetec [100] so is this still a common 'issue'?

I will be getting them to check the engine out anyway so will see what they come back with.

i can tell you for certain no matter if there was something wrong they will still tell you theres nothing wrong evans halshaw dont give a damn once youve bought it mine was motd by them no advisories the ti vct cam had to be replaced by them the timing belt etc had to be done the boot window removed and refitted as there was a gap in the bonding the rear brake pipes had to be replaced by them the rear upper arm bushes replaced the rear brake pistons both sides this was an motd no advisory ford approved car by the way on top of that they said it was serviced yet the air filter was manky when approached they saisd it didnt include the filter they just do the oil and oil filter yet when the oil was checked it was manky as well so have a good check of the car i made them spend over £1000 to put everything right