Photo

Owl Hooting Noise When Accellerating Help!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hows it going to be oil filter housing? Nothing on it that can make a noise

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Gerhardva

Gerhardva

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name: Gerhard
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST
  • Year: 2013

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Common fault on the Focus.

#18 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

yes but what makes the noise

#19 gwengo

gwengo

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focu 1.8 TDCi 115bhp
  • Year: 2002

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Right, I have a small clip now of the noise in question rather than my shoddy description.

I must agree with Stooge, what would make that noise on the Oil filter housing? I do suppose this would make sense as the filter would have been changed in the service. But I don't have any oil leaks?

#20 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

mmmm.just had a listen. sure sounds like an air leak or vacuum leak id say.(its interesting anyway)

think the only way you'll find it is by someone revving engine(but not a lot),& going over every inch of engine etc.

looking forward to hearing what it is thats causing it.have you had your manifold off or anything?

have you tried tightening up your oil filter housing part?was the noise not there before the service?

Ive never heard of filter housing problem though & as i own a mondeo i wouldnt know about their common faults its worth a check as the other guy says

#21 gwengo

gwengo

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

I only starting hearing the noise once the weather got a bit better and I had my window open, this was post service. I didn't notice it before, but that's not to say it wasn't there. I will have a look at the oil filter housing when I get home if it stops raining. I really don't think it is this, but if the noise did start to develop after the service then this could be a possibility, it would be good to rule out anyway. Surely if the oil filter wasn't tight enough then there would be a an oil leak of some sort wouldn't there?

I've had the pipes off that lead over the engine to the intercooler and there are no leaks in them. I've had the air box and filter off and given them a bit of a clean, along with the MAF sensor and pipe. They all look fine. I didn't delve deep enough into the engine to check the turbo pipes, so I guess thats my next port of call after inspecting the oil filter.

I was thinking about taking the manifold off, that way I can check the turbo at the same time. But, I am a bit dubious about it, as I use my car for work and I wouldn't want to mess anything up, taking it apart and putting it back together again. Also I have a 9 week on baby and finding the time to do this job is neigh impossible, even at the weekend :). Is it quite a straight forward job? there's no gaskets or anything like that, that I would have to replace once removed is there? I have had a go at doing things like this before and end up scouring different motor factors for washers and gaskets that need replacing under mr Haynes instruction :D

BTW I even ran a DTC test this morning after I filled up. There are no fault codes jumping up thankfully.

#22 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,849 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

If it only happens above about 1800 - 2000 rpm and drops off again at about the same level I'd say now that it may be the turbo itself.

#23 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I put new manifold gaskets on mines but only cos i torqued it up wrongly. You'll need torque wrench though.sometimes the gaskets dont wanna sit right after removing em,but rarely happens.
I still think its an air leak on 1 o those pipes. Hope you find it soon. That would annoy the bejesus outta me!lol

#24 gwengo

gwengo

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

i can't tell you how annoying it is mate. You get stares on the street for all the wrong reasons. Well the rain kept on coming down this evening, but hopefully tomorrow afternoon will be ok so that i can have another look. I'll try and keep the post up-to-date anyway.

#25 gwengo

gwengo

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Right, 2 months on and it seems to be getting worse. I think the car is on its last legs really so I don't want to be spending anymore cash on it with garage diagnostics. Also, I don't seem to have a garage near me that I can really trust so I was hoping that someone else might b able to shed some light on this problem. If it is the turbo thats on it's way out, I think I'm gonna just scrap the car.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users