• Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

WAZ91

Bleed Nipple

5 posts in this topic

Hey folks.

I've just put a new brake hose on the rear drivers side but when I went to bleed it the screw was burred over and will not move even with mull grips. Cars drivable still plent of breaking power.

Questin is what's the best way to get it off and are the cheap to replace?

I'm hoping its not guna be too expensive

First off I would get some plus gas on it let it soak in then if you have any cheap 1/4 drive sockets you could tap over the nipple you should be able to ease it out without snapping it the replacement nipple won't be expensive couple of quid if that .

You get a socket especially for rounded nuts etc. your local factors will be able to source it i think.

I would have a new bleed nipple ready before you attempt to remove it. And yes you will need to remove it in order to bleed the system correctly.

You might want to make sure you can source a new caliper quickly aswell should the worst happen and it snaps.

a bleed nipple will cost you about £2, a caliper will be about £100.

Personally i would soak it with a penetrating spray/oil for a while then give it a light tap with a hammer to try and break up the corrosing bond - without breaking it.

then hammer a socket on or use a spiral fluted socket - these are expensive but you can possibly buy a small kit or individually. Anyone removing rusted/rounded nuts which sometimes dont even ressemble a hex will know these sockets very well

Another option is to apply heat so the nipple expands then contracts again thus breaking the bind.