Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Leak?

Matt_wlkr

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help identify and suggest a fix for what i am seeing...

2013-08-03143553_resized_zpsab13f725.jpg

I'm thinking its coolant if it is how would I be able to stop it from leaking?

I'm no expert so any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

- Matt

given that the thermostat housing has a rusty screw on the bottom of it, I would hazard a guess the housing is leaking onto the pipework below.

A new thermostat housing/seal is the way forward here by the look of it. can you provide us with any better/close up pics?

Sure I should be able to take more pics tomorrow...

Thanks,

-matt

Sure I should be able to take more pics tomorrow...

Thanks,

-matt

While you are there, have a feel of that triangular shaped bit of plastic (thermostat housing) with the big hose coming out going to the right and the rusty screw at the bottom. is it wet on the bottom?

The thermostat housings often warp and consequentyly leak - possibly whats happened to yours

looks like stef hit the nail on the head with the staining directly below it its pretty much a gaurantee thats the issue

Hello,

Here is a closer pic:

2013-08-04143945_zpsb95c9c2d.jpg

And a pic from the other side best i can get:

2013-08-04144042_zpsd3ab2748.jpg

...Could probably do with resizing the images.

I felt round the triangle thing it's not dripping but is wet/moist.

How would I be able to sort this out?

Just got this back from the dealership after replacing the starter motor and they said they had a good look over the engine so i don't know how they missed that one.

Thanks,

- Matt

youll need a new thermostat housing and seal put on it and the coolant refilled its defo warped as you can see at the top where the red dye from the coolants stained it as its ran down the housing

Thanks for the info.

How would I go about that? Is it doable myself?

Where would you recommend getting the stuff for it?

- Matt

They said they had a good look around the engine? There's your proof what they told you was utter rubbish!

Anyway, new thermostat housing and seal. You might as well do the thermostat while your in there.

You will also need a few litres of coolant to top up.

Yeah, I'll be ringing them tomorrow.

I'da thought they'd have fixed that when they replaced the started motor as the guy who picked it up and took it back to the dealership spotted it... Saying that when he did come and the car started first time (typical) he said he looked at the engine and nothing was wrong, went away and then when it failed to start again spots it when he has another look.

Any guides on doing this yourself anyone knows of if the dealership is of no use or wants to charge a rediculous amount?

How much should a thermostat and housing cost?

Thanks,

- Matt

Its an easy enough DIY job,

sockets/spanners, a load of rags, a small tray to catch the coolant and some fresh coolant to top up.

I have replaced the housing and stat on a 1.8tdci focus, cant remember how much it was for a genuine ford part. expect £30-£40 though.

If you have a haynes manual, they will no doubt say you need to drain the cooling system - scrap that! I pack loads of rags in around the area and try and fit a small tray in then just pull the hose from the housing. You will get a load of coolant leaking out for a few seconds but nothing major.

• 3 years later...

Same as mine. I've had this issue for 1-2 years.

As for DIY,  as Tdci-Peter wrote: "From Haynes, Thermostat housing nut/bolt torque = 23nm." Or we can screw them by hand? I hope it doesn't break so easily. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club