Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Air Con

smithy17

Hi guys.

Since I purchased my ford focus 1.6 lx 2000 petrol, I noticed every 5-10 seconds that there was a clicking noise. I have been told that it is the air con coming on or something. Only problem is I think it's stuck on as when I push the air con button nothing changes and there is no light there to indicate it is on? So basically what I'm saying is. Helppppp

Cheers

Dan

has it been regassed would be the first place to start most places such as kwik fit etc do it for around £35 takes an hour and should solve the issue the light wont come on if the gas is low the fact you say it clicked on and off quite quickly suggests it was low

It doesn't click on and off. It's just a click every 10 seconds or so consistently while driving.

sounds like its clicking on for 10 seconds then off after 10 seconds etc if the aircon light isnt on then its not clicking from the aircon as thats not working if the lights off ide take it for a regass before you start looking at other issues

Iv been told by two different (very good and reliable) mechanics that its the air con clicking. And I mean there is no light on the air con button at all as in it doesn't work

if the aircon is clicking then the vents should be blowing cold if its just a case of the light on the button not coming on you likely need a new button as the light only comes on when the aircon is activated personally i cant see how the aircons running without the button working and if it was stuck the light would be on easiest way to check is replace the button with one from a scrapyard and see if that sorts it

Turn your blowers direction to windscreen only. That normally throws the aircon on and a light. it could be the LED has just burned out.

As artscot says, go get it regassed at kwikfit (£49) or somewhere else thats reputable.

From there you can carry on with diagnostics.

The clicking you're describing is the clutch on the air con compressor coming it. It makes a click as it engages, it'll then disengage after a while once the system realises there is no gas in it to compress. On my 2000 Mondeo, the system wouldn't come on at all as there was a low pressure switch that stopped it functioning below a certain pressure.

You've got a couple of options, get it re gassed, this will mean the compressor is doing something and should stop it coming in and out. Alternatively, and this is going on old knowledge, remove the A/C fuse and forget about it. My Mondeo had a fuse dedicated to the A/C and once I pulled it I had no grief.

Just some things to think of though before you Shell out for a regas. If the system hasn't been used for a while then you could find the O-Ring seals have perished on the pipes. These will leak once the new gas has been installed. The other possibility is the condenser that sits in front of the radiator has perished as well.

Any garage/mechanic will tell you its the aircon from that discription, have you actually taken it to a garage?

Easiest way to tell is stick your head under the car with engine running and see if the aircon compressor clutch is engaging then disengaging as this would cause a the click noise, if its not then theres something else causing the click and if it is disconnect the wire on it or remove fuse as above or get it regassed and a new switch and or bulb for the dash

Thank you all for the replies, I think I'm going to remove the fuse(if it is a dedicated fuse) as the summer is nearly over and maybe get it regassed in the new year

It's normally recommended to run the aircon for a short while every month or so to prevent the seals from drying out. If you leave it unused you could be storing up more problems.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club