Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec Climate Mpg

Nicky Swans

Hey all, new Ford owner here. I bought a 57 Plate Zetec Climate the other week and I have been getting extremely poor MPG (20.5MPG with normal driving) and 22MPG tops with granny-style driving. The car is a 1.6 Petrol, I was expecting to get some poor MPG while I got used to the car (I previously had a 1.2 Clio) which was a Manual car, the focus is a Automatic, but I like to think I have got to know the car better now and still getting the poor MPG. Any suggestions?

Welcome to FOC :)

What MPG were you getting before?

It will probably be worse than the clio as:

1, Auto vs manual

2, Bigger car

3, Bigger engine

Also what sort of journeys are you doing? Town driving will keep it low.

That sounds horrendous. I know we are getting over 48mpg from our 1.2 Clio and I get anywhere between 38 and 45 from my 1.6 Focus (it is manual though).

I would have thought that you should get to the mid 30's with your auto. You havent got it stuck in Sport mode or something?

Welcome to FOC :)

What MPG were you getting before?

It will probably be worse than the clio as:

1, Auto vs manual

2, Bigger car

3, Bigger engine

Also what sort of journeys are you doing? Town driving will keep it low.

Hi thank you :) At the moment we are in the middle of house moves so we are doing a lot of short trips <2m between engine start-stop, was getting 31MPG with the Clio. Most of the driving is done on local residential and to out-of town retail parks.

That sounds horrendous. I know we are getting over 48mpg from our 1.2 Clio and I get anywhere between 38 and 45 from my 1.6 Focus (it is manual though).

I would have thought that you should get to the mid 30's with your auto. You havent got it stuck in Sport mode or something?

I have never been one for getting great MPG, the best I got out of my Clio was about 36MPG but I never/rarely done any motorway driving on that. I was expecting high 20s at least with the automatic, wasn't expecting it to stay so low. I don't think my model comes with Sports mode, nothing visible or indicates that it is activated anyway.

Hey all, new Ford owner here. I bought a 57 Plate Zetec Climate the other week and I have been getting extremely poor MPG (20.5MPG with normal driving) and 22MPG tops with granny-style driving. The car is a 1.6 Petrol, I was expecting to get some poor MPG while I got used to the car (I previously had a 1.2 Clio) which was a Manual car, the focus is a Automatic, but I like to think I have got to know the car better now and still getting the poor MPG. Any suggestions?

Have you reset the MPG readout?otherwise the person that had it before could have driven it like a race car,and your mpg is just catching up on it.it shows average mpg over (i think) 500 miles.Could also need a service.

Have you reset the MPG readout?otherwise the person that had it before could have driven it like a race car,and your mpg is just catching up on it.it shows average mpg over (i think) 500 miles.Could also need a service.

I regularly reset it on every two fill-ups, the Instant MPG is normally in the 30-80s, depending on acceleration. I will check the service book tomorrow to see if it is due one. Think I read somewhere that Ford over exaggerates a bit on the achievable MPG and the Zetec Climate (Auto) can get up to 32MPG (which is under what ford says I believe)

Also, I read up that there are two versions of the Zetec Climate (Auto) 5-door, in terms of power its not a significant margin, but how do I tell which one it is I have exactly? (Think with the 0-60 there was a 2s difference) and about a 10bhp

I regularly reset it on every two fill-ups, the Instant MPG is normally in the 30-80s, depending on acceleration. I will check the service book tomorrow to see if it is due one. Think I read somewhere that Ford over exaggerates a bit on the achievable MPG and the Zetec Climate (Auto) can get up to 32MPG (which is under what ford says I believe)

Also, I read up that there are two versions of the Zetec Climate (Auto) 5-door, in terms of power its not a significant margin, but how do I tell which one it is I have exactly? (Think with the 0-60 there was a 2s difference) and about a 10bhp

Should have the exact model etc on an MOT or insurance policy.Ford state 65MPG for the car i own,haven't had it long enough to comment on Motorway driving but im getting 55 on A roads and country lanes and thats with some strong acceleration here and there carrying 4 people.

All manufacturers overstate their MPG Although mercedes are consistant and sometimes even understate performance/mpg figures.

Just checked the service book, it seems the last owner could be bothered to get to get it serviced at all, as a matter of speaking, they hardly drove the car, last service was in December 2010, the mileage is only 12k more than it was when it last had the service so will be booking it in for a full service at the end of the month had an inspection carried out by Ford last week when I took it in to get a new key programmed and everything came back fine. Should it go to a main dealer or would I be better off going to a local garage? If I am going to be getting it serviced I prefer it to be done right, the car is a beaut to drive hoping to keep it for a good few years to come.

Just checked the service book, it seems the last owner could be bothered to get to get it serviced at all, as a matter of speaking, they hardly drove the car, last service was in December 2010, the mileage is only 12k more than it was when it last had the service so will be booking it in for a full service at the end of the month had an inspection carried out by Ford last week when I took it in to get a new key programmed and everything came back fine. Should it go to a main dealer or would I be better off going to a local garage? If I am going to be getting it serviced I prefer it to be done right, the car is a beaut to drive hoping to keep it for a good few years to come.

I wouldn't have thought a main dealer would have any better a standard as local garages.Read alot of the time how Ford dealers are bad and useless,but you also read the same about local garages.Look for reviews on them i guess

I'd take it into a decent local Ford dealer, speak to other people about your local Ford dealers. Going 3 years without a service won't be doing the car any favours so put it in for full service. Should be under £250 at any Ford dealership for a full service.