Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2013

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

I've just fitted a very smart reversing camera to my 2013 Fiesta Zetec and very good it is too.  I'll attach a not-very-exciting picture of it fitted into the black insert of my rear bumper. The camera/CMOS assembly is waterproof, cost less than a tenner and feeds a smart 4.3'' LCD screen (fifteen quid) that sits happily just ahead of the gearlever in that little cubby hole under the stop/start switch.  The camera's simple to wire into the reversing light and when reverse is selected the camera powers up and its signal turns on the LCD screen.  Neat!

The camera is amazing.  It has a very wide-angle field of view yet has zero barrel distortion, so there's none of the fish-eye effect you get with car cameras in general.  It's also very sensitive and sees well in the dark - though the picture gets grainier the lower the ambient light levels.  More fun then beepers, good people.

Attached Thumbnails

• reversing camera.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mongman

mongman

King-Ding-A-Ling

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Name: Damien
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec MK2.5
  • Year: 2009

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

What model camera is that? Do you have a link? Also what head unit/display have you got that you connected it to?

#3 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=290916053159

£9.28 delivered

http://www.amazon.co...05151_M3T1_dp_1

£15.48 delivered.

And they wire together beautifully

#4 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Here's a shot of the monitor in the car - it fits perfectly into that little cubby-hole aperture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130806_161749.jpg

#5 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Looks great and a bargain too

#6 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name: Philip
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost
Contributor

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Looks just what I'm after. Don't supposed you'd do a few details on how you fitted and maybe a photo or two of how it's cabled in etc? It looks prefect and as you say looks near and works brilliantly, and far more entertaining that reverse sensors/beeping. Probably abut to order so anything to help fit it would be great though.

#7 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Dead easy to fit to a current Fiesta.  You have this model?  

I looked at various camera positions but didn't much want to drill steel, so I chose the black bit of the bumper where it's concave.

I drilled the plastic bumper and opened up the hole with a file.  No need for accuracy as the camera's flange covers any slight mistakes.  Behind that black bit of the bumper is a reinforcement and I've used this with a tiny bracket to make the camera 'look upwards' slightly as it's rather a low-down fixing point.  If you really make a hash of things then a rubber grommet will let you cover the hole.

The camera comes with two wires, one is a power feed and the other is the signal feed.  Take off the off-side real lamp cluster (removing the boot carpet in the vicinity is the difficult bit) and wire the camera to the reversing light power lead.  Run the signal cable into the car via this rear light cluster and from there to the boot, past the rear seat and up to the centre console under the driver's seat.

The monitor's power is taken from the fuse box which sits behind the glove box (I chose to use the reversing light's fuse), and it's a simple matter to hide the wire between the top and bottom half of the centre console as it goes to feed the little 4.3'' monitor.  You can just see this wire leading to the monitor in my picture, but you could do an even neater job by drilling a hole for the cable in that pretty useless cubby hole that the monitor now blanks off.

The monitor is a bit low in actual practice - it would be grand in the info screen's position and you can get 'fold-down' screens if you fancy going that route.  Selecting reverse powers the camera and the signal sent to the monitor turns that on - so everything is automatic and dandy.  The camera works in very low light though of course your reversing lights help a lot.

And that's about it.  You'll still use your door mirrors, but the camera will let you get to with a few inches of the car parked behind you, far far closer than bravery allows.  What would have been good is if the camera's image went out of focus when objects were 12'' away, say,  But the image is sharp from 1'' to infinity amazingly, so they've missed a trick there.

Need more info?  Just holler. 

#8 steveo

steveo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium x (63) Fiesta Zetec (60)
  • Year: 2014

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you stayed closer to me I would have paid you to do this to mine

#9 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

You'll be fine Stevo, and there are YouTube videos you can watch that might help. Not on the Fiesta, but the electrics are the same these days.

#10 tom_d

tom_d

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2012

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

I would have probably paid you to!

Would love something like this but don't have a clue when it comes to wiring and electrics

#11 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name: Philip
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost
Contributor

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I would have probably paid you to!

Would love something like this but don't have a clue when it comes to wiring and electrics

Same with me but Tom's instructions are very clear and I'm hoping it'll make sense when I see things like the fuse box - I've literally no idea how to wire cabling in to that or how to "wire the camera to the reversing light power lead", but I'll have a look anyway and see if I can do it. If all else fails can always pay an auto electrician to sort those bits for a couple of sheets.

And I'm sure Tom, me new best mate in the whole wide world be happy to help with a query or ten, lol.

#12 steveo

steveo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hey Tom

It may well be easy but I have no clue about electrics or anything like that.

Hopefully find someone closer to home to install

#13 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

B Motoring, getting the 12v from the reversing light bulb is easy. Take off the lamp cluster and pull apart the multi-pin cable harness connector. Look for the colour of the wire that feeds the reverse light bulb as this is fed 12v as soon as you select reverse. Use a 'break off blade' knife to pare back some of the insulation on this wire and then wrap the power lead from the rear camera around this pared back section. You might want to use a tiny bit of insulating tape on this connection.

The power to the little monitor comes from the fuse box. Your instruction book tells you how to get at the box and tells you which one is the reversing light fuse. Pull out the fuse, poke in the monitor's power cable wire and trap it by reinserting the fuse.

Sorted. I'm no electrician, but I do go carefully, use a big bright LED light and double check before I turn on the ignition again.

tom.

#14 steveo

steveo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think I will need too find some one closer, I will make a mess if I do it.

#15 steveo

steveo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Does anyone on here know who in aberdeen could fit this for me.

Cheers

Steve

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users