Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for your gear lever gaiter words, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
I see from your signoff that you've changed a lot of your light bulbs. Did you see my post about how difficult I was finding it to remove the front parking lights? The little L shaped bulb holder (visible when you remove that big rubber plug in the headlamp assembly) is wobbly, but I can't remove it. Is it bayonetted into the reflector?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name: Philip
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost
Contributor

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hmm, I might be a bit stuck with your sidelight question. I don't have sidelights as such, the Titanium uses new LED DRL's for the job rather than single sidelight bulb.

I remember on my previous 2011 Zetec it was a fairly easy W5W wedge sidelight. The connectors are much improved but removing the unit itself is still a slightly awkward job.

On the front end I have only changed the dipped beam so far but I am thinking of detango'ing. I've been much more restrained with my bulb changing this time but I'm currently fretting over red or blue footwell LED's. I have noticed in comparing the headlamps from my previous 11 Zetec and 13 Titanium that Ford did some redesign and weight/cost saving too, but I have no idea if the 13 Zetec unit has seen a redesign as well.

I'll keep my eyes open and if I come across a 13 Zetec I'll see if I can't find out, may as well start taking other peoples cars to bits as well, lol.

Phil

#33 Klw7me

Klw7me

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Name: Kate
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is brilliant, want to fit mine Tom :D  he he 

#34 Sweeney367

Sweeney367

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Is the cubby hole the same size on the mk7.5 as the mk7 dyo know?

#35 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Is the cubby hole the same size on the mk7.5 as the mk7 dyo know?

I think so. Can't be 100%. I keep my work garage door remote in there and did on my 11 plate Fiesta too and its as snug a fit now as on that car so I'd say yes, I reckon it is the same size.

#36 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

This is brilliant, want to fit mine Tom :D  he he 

If it's any help I wasn't sure about tricky connection. Was okay with it in the end and admit it took a lot longer but I got a quote from an auto electrician initially based on me having already drilled the bumper, fitted the camera and run the cables to where they needed to go. He quoted £40 all in which I thought was pretty reasonable. Either way, You can get the screen and camera for £20 or less if you shop around and with £40 for some help, its still way below what you'd pay normally. Early on I was quoted £150 to £300 for normal reverse sensors fitted, more for the flush fit ones in some cases; and £200-£400 for a reverse camera fitted. Quids in all the way.

#37 Klw7me

Klw7me

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's really reasonable but then again I guess if its all fitted etc just needs wiring up it should be straightforward.

#38 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

That's really reasonable but then again I guess if its all fitted etc just needs wiring up it should be straightforward.

I'd say if you showed an electrician the instructions and helped them getting into the light cluster and wiring loom etc they could do it in half hour. The rest in reality is just time spent fitting the camera and hiding cables. It's just the kind of stuff they'd make look annoyingly easy. Took me a lot longer but I'll not say hold long for fear of embarrassing myself, lol.

#39 Klw7me

Klw7me

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

I think I am going to take the plunge and do this, buts it will have to wait for a bit, this month I need to fix my side skirt back on and get the paint on it sorted and a scratching on my bumper

#40 graememcw

graememcw

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Graeme
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Right, so I'm looking to install a reversing camera using much the same method as used here, but rather than drilling holes in my bumper, I'd rather use one of the ones that replaces a number plate bulb. Any ideas of good cameras to use, or how to route the cables through?

#41 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

I looked into this Graeme because the higher camera positioning will give a more useful view than the black bumper position. Two snags. Finding a replacement lamp that included a camera was difficult, and if found the wiring would be a right pain.

Wires would have to be threaded through the rubber loom tubes that bridge the top of the tailgate with the car body. Then one of those wires has to connect to the reversing lamp and the other has to end up at the instrument panel. Not easy.

Fitting the camera into the bumper makes the wiring so much easier.

#42 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,484 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

Try a wireless system.
You only need to wire the screen and camera to the correct wires in their locations and cut out having to install the long, fiddly video wire between the two.

#43 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

The signal cable between the two is probably the easier part. Getting power to the screen and camera is far more tricky, even more so for a camera mounted within one of the number plate lights. I looked at wires and wireless and honestly couldn't see much difference between either when it came to the cabling required to power the screen and camera, that's still an awkward knuckle busting job.

#44 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,484 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

I would honestly say the hardest bit would (to me) be the video cable as it involves going through boot conduits, headliner, pillar trims and dash panels.
Sounds like a faff to me.

#45 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi Stoney, using a wireless system only dispenses with the signal cable from camera chip to LCD screen. You still have to get power to the camera and that has to come from the reversing light ideally.

Of course you could power the camera from the number plate light so you didn't have to thread wires through that rubber conduit twix hatch and body, but that would mean you having the LCD screen on all the time at night (as the radio signal would effectively power it up) and it would mean putting on your side lights in the daytime to get the reversing camera powered up.

Like BM says, wireless isn't really wire less.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users