Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 18,575 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: 2015 Focus ST3 250BHP
  • Year: 2015
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Believe it or not I do understand what wireless means.
With a wireless system the screen is not permanently on, (No more than a physically linked system anyway), it activates when it detects a signal from the camera module which activates when the reverse light comes on.
The point of the wireless system is it saves the extra work of trailing a video cable the full length of the car thus making installation a bit easier.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 Tomo2482

Tomo2482

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Fantastic idea may have a go at this ;-)

#48 tomroscoe

tomroscoe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2015

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Go for it Tomo.  It allows you to reverse to about 2" from the car behind you (slowly) though at this time of year the tiny camera lens can get a bit mucky down there in the bumper.  Still, one fingertip is all you need to clean it.

#49 UKDan85

UKDan85

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys, this looks fab... I really want to do the whole reverse camera thing but I'm afraid I might fook it up...
Could you take a pick of your fuse box just to show which fuse I need to put the power cable wire in for the screen please. Thanks.

Sent from my Sony SP using Ford OC mobile app

#50 Nick1992

Nick1992

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Year: 2012

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi guys I've got the factory fitted one in my car at the moment. It is a much uglier camera next to the boot handle and it is displayed in the rear view mirror. But I've just ordered the fiesta st and I'm contemplating doing this.. Looks great

#51 wingnuts

wingnuts

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name: David
  • Year: 2011

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hello, Im a newcomer and interested in this excellent post.

I just wondered if anyone has fitted the Garmin Wireles BC30 kit which switches a Garmin Sat Nav Display onto its camera display when reverse is selected.

Looks pricey but as I have a compatible Garmin thinking of trying it but dont like the idea of fitting the camera to the number plate on the boot lid, your positions are much better but the Garmin camera does not look very adaptable.

Thanks.

#52 jace1969

jace1969

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Name: jason
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 titanium

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Mine is the ford one which is under the boot chrome lip where you open the boot and in rear-view-mirror.

It was on the car when i had it,aint the ford ones a lot just for the camera.

Had a new one fitted free as it was playing up,would of been £200 just for camera,wish i had a

link to the genuine ford ones so i could look at it myself but cant find one.

Good thing.

#53 wingnuts

wingnuts

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

I looked into this Graeme because the higher camera positioning will give a more useful view than the black bumper position. Two snags. Finding a replacement lamp that included a camera was difficult, and if found the wiring would be a right pain.

Wires would have to be threaded through the rubber loom tubes that bridge the top of the tailgate with the car body. Then one of those wires has to connect to the reversing lamp and the other has to end up at the instrument panel. Not easy.

Fitting the camera into the bumper makes the wiring so much easier.

Very interesting point this, I want to fit the Garmin BC30 but probably have to give up.

1) the Fiesta number plate (best position for camera if using Garmin main recommendation) means getting a wire from the reversing light up into the hatch top through the tubing etc as you said.

Would be preferable as only a small hole would be need behind the plate for the camera wire and the rest straightforward but the wire feed very awkward.

2) Fit the camera to the lower body, very simple job this way but means drilling holes in either the lower black body panel or higher up in the metal part.

Would the camera be effective from the low level section. Seems from the excellent advice given by you that other cameras are OK fitted here so maybe that would be the way to go in my case where I want to use the Garmin camera with my compatible Garmin sat nav mainly because there is no wiring involved through the car.

#54 wingnuts

wingnuts

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

Tom before are get into it are those wires very thin, been thinking about following your guide but using the smallest wire gauge ScotchLok because I have nowhere to use mains supply outside for my solder iron?

Thanks

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reversing camera, backup camera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users