Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Holly , welcome to the Forums , if a claim on your insurance is already happening due to the other car , then you may as well go through them to claim for your car if your full comp.

Your car could be repaired , but insurance company will scrap it.

as Lenny has stated a quick list of parts you may require , you could buy an MOT failure Ka and take the parts off that.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,765 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to the forum, and as for the comments of retest, I dont believe that you do require a retest (or at least not under the rules I know of) if you suffer 6 points in your first two years, you lose your license, must reapply and take another set of tests, however, for the accident front, I believe there is no repercussions on your license at all.

As Preee said, if your already in the process of a claim, get a quote for repair via insurance, check out if they would scrap or fix it. If you reair it, you need an MOT test and VIC check to get your car on the road. Otherwise, if you find it cheaper to get the parts and fit yourself, better still! :)

#18 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,499 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, and as for the comments of retest, I dont believe that you do require a retest (or at least not under the rules I know of) if you suffer 6 points in your first two years, you lose your license, must reapply and take another set of tests, however, for the accident front, I believe there is no repercussions on your license at all.

As Preee said, if your already in the process of a claim, get a quote for repair via insurance, check out if they would scrap or fix it. If you reair it, you need an MOT test and VIC check to get your car on the road. Otherwise, if you find it cheaper to get the parts and fit yourself, better still! :)

Hope not, re-tests aren't fun when it's a small mistake >.<

#19 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,190 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Avoid insurance if possible, in the case of the other driver not claiming, even if they did i would still avoid claiming. it all adds up to raising your insurance to an insane amount as a new driver plus females no longer get cheaper car insurance as that was deemed sexist towards men (I welcome this idea tbh)

This will be added to your dvla and insurance groups record and be used for the next 4 years, this alone increase your quote a lot. Claiming will also be added to your record if you claim... second reason for insurance increase, all on top of being a new driver, not only are you already classed as a higher risk driver being new, (After 6 months of passing insurance company class new drivers at higher risk than normal as they are most likely to an have accident after 6 months based on being more road confident) the accident record will class you as an even higher risk driver.

Visit moneysupermarket.com or gocompare.com do a mock insurance quote for your self excluding recent invents, note the price, then do a quote adding the information of being involve in an inccident within the last 4 years and note the price, then do the same with the above including 1 claim... you may S**** bricks

Do a rough estimate of your car repairs and compare it to the additional cost of increased insurance to better judge your odds.

On the subject of what to do with the car, lenny idea is spot on

#20 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Visit moneysupermarket.com or gocompare.com do a mock insurance quote for your self excluding recent invents, note the price, then do a quote adding the information of being involve in an inccident within the last 4 years and note the price, then do the same with the above including 1 claim... you may S**** bricks

Do a rough estimate of your car repairs and compare it to the additional cost of increased insurance to better judge your odds.

DO NOT do this. I used gocompare etc to search just to see how much it exrta it would cost me to add a body kit/alloy wheels and window tints just so I knew what to expect when I had them actually done and also when I had my accident in my works van and a month after id renewed my insurance I got a letter through saying there was discrepancies with my insurance detail between what id eventually put down amd what id beem quoted for on the comparison websites amd that theyd taken £267. This is also because I put in to see how much extra mine would cost with my accident in my works van which when I phoned for my renewal I did inform them about and was told it didnt affect my premium because it was a works vehicle. But because id searched on these comparison websites for it it threw up a discrepancy.

#21 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Im lucky all they decided to do was charge me extra (which after a very angry phonecall I got paid back in full) instead of them just deciding to cancel my insurance altogether and then getting pulled up by the police for driving without insurance without having any idea about it

#22 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,190 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

DO NOT do this. I used gocompare etc to search just to see how much it exrta it would cost me to add a body kit/alloy wheels and window tints just so I knew what to expect when I had them actually done and also when I had my accident in my works van and a month after id renewed my insurance I got a letter through saying there was discrepancies with my insurance detail between what id eventually put down amd what id beem quoted for on the comparison websites amd that theyd taken £267. This is also because I put in to see how much extra mine would cost with my accident in my works van which when I phoned for my renewal I did inform them about and was told it didnt affect my premium because it was a works vehicle. But because id searched on these comparison websites for it it threw up a discrepancy.

This is a result of you speaking with your insurance company about the mods, not a comparison website fault, no information is shared with insurance companies can be used to identify you unless you choose to proceed with the quote by either contacting them or requesting to a call back.

If it makes you feel better use a fake name and a different door number on your street, no drivers licence details are required to compare therefore it's impossible to even identify you, i often use fake names and my "spam" e-mail address when using such sites to avoid annoying unwanted phone calls and e-mails about deals and offers...

#23 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is a result of you speaking with your insurance company about the mods, not a comparison website fault, no information is shared with insurance companies can be used to identify you unless you choose to proceed with the quote by either contacting them or requesting to a call back.

If it makes you feel better use a fake name and a different door number on your street, no drivers licence details are required to compare therefore it's impossible to even identify you, i often use fake names and my "spam" e-mail address when using such sites to avoid annoying unwanted phone calls and e-mails about deals and offers...

No I never once mentioned my modifications to my insurance company I mentioned the accident in my work van but as I said they said that was irrelevant unless I was trying to get van insurance but I had two charges one for not declaring that Id had an accident (which I did on the phone) and two for not declaring my modifications which I had only searched for on gocompare to see how much extra it would cost me when I did declare them

#24 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I actually stuck with the same insurance company after getting a quote on gocompare. I was actually told by the insurance company that it was because their (admiral) quote for me on goconpare had included my modifications they had assumed I had added them and not told them about said modifications when id phoned to renew with them.

#25 HollyDollyx

HollyDollyx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Holly
  • Ford Model: Street KA
  • Year: 2003

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys!

Unfortunatly the other car has claimed it on insurance - but i was expecting it to be honest. Luckily I don't have to pay anything else because I have decided not to claim on my insurance, but of course my premium will be higher than last year.

I haven't heard anything about a retest and i didnt get any points.

As for the car - Well its still sat on my drive looking very sorry for itself! I'm stuck between scraping it and selling it for parts, does anyone know roughly what i'd get for each?

Thanks for all your help! :D

#26 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,499 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks guys!

Unfortunatly the other car has claimed it on insurance - but i was expecting it to be honest. Luckily I don't have to pay anything else because I have decided not to claim on my insurance, but of course my premium will be higher than last year.

I haven't heard anything about a retest and i didnt get any points.

As for the car - Well its still sat on my drive looking very sorry for itself! I'm stuck between scraping it and selling it for parts, does anyone know roughly what i'd get for each?

Thanks for all your help! :D

Good times on the retest, that's the last thing that's needed >_> 

#27 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,765 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Your consequence will be a loss of 2 years no claims bonus now.

scrap.. you would be lucky, you could get up to £100 for the local breakers to take it off your hands and to the tip, they would sell it for parts.

Otherwise, you could if you had nothing but time, start sticking all the bits on ebay that are unaffected. so sell the wheels, sell the seats, steering wheel, boot lining, light units, headlights etc. If you did this you could probably make about 500 out of parts as a minimum. Then, you could get the local scrappy to take the shell of the car away on a wagon and you might have to pay about £50...

#28 Loz Cheung

Loz Cheung

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Name: Lorenzo
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Scrapping might be worthwhile money wise - check how much the scrappage rates are  - i think it was about £120 per tonne earlier this year (although i got a virus on my comp from checking this!) but bear (bare?) in mind that this is a longer process doing the parts separately!

i was helping my friend break parts for his audi and he lost patience in the end, he did make money out of it though !

guess it depends how urgent you would like to rid the thing :rolleyes:

#29 hubby1959

hubby1959

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK 2
  • Year: 1999

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Try one of those car recycling places, I've no idea what you'd get for it, but i'm sure it would be more than the scrappy

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KA, Crash, Accident, Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users