gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Focus ST and Zetec S 1L Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi all!

Had a new fiesta ecoboost for a couple of weeks now and im little concerned with a noise myself and my other half keep hearing from the engine. Basically whenever the RPM goes above 1500rpm the car makes this strange electrical humming/metaly/clicking noise. Hard to explain but as i say only when car goes above 1500. It will also make this noise when parked up and revving the engine gently.

To top it off if driving along and allow the car to slow under engine braking it goes away but if you tap the pedal it will return for a couple of secs then dissapear again.

I have never heard this noise from any car before.

Took it to ford and the guy just said its noisy injectors and is just a new engine design but im not convinced hence why i ask here.

If anyone were able to shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I have put a couple of vids of youtube to demo the noise for you all if you can help.

(very clear metally noise type thing)

(may need to up the volume as iphone mic rubbish lol)

Thanks in advance!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Name: Nicolas
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 2013 1.0 Ecoboost Racing Red

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

might have to listen to mine then and compare. what motor is it? 125  or 100 ?

#3 gazsts

gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have the 125 bud. ZS in red. Absolutely love it apart from this sound which can be heard even when having loud road noise in the background  :(

#4 Stewie316

Stewie316

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Kyle
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 - Hot Magenta
  • Year: 2010

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Turbo possibly?  I have to say that is one loud 1ltr engine.  Is she running fine?  I know in the manual they say you might hear engine variations for awhile till it settles down.  I know when i had 25 miles on the clock around 3-5000k i noticed different noises that concerned me.

Is it me or does your needle wobble at 1.5k speed.  I've noticed mine doing this but quite more consistently .

#5 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

the motor sound is fine untill he revs. I will check it out when i can cause i need my Girl friend needs to rev it  or can you hear it from the inside?

#6 gazsts

gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yep, the car seems absolutely fine overall, it still pulls well etc. It can be heard inside the car quite clearly with the windows up etc and the only way to remove the distraction is put some music on lol I must also add that this noise has been getting louder as time has gone on. It was noticed originally when we had about 700 miles on the car. At first I was thinking 'oh maybe it's just the engine running in'. However it's been getting more noticeable over time. We are now at 1200 miles and it seems to be still getting louder. Took it to Ford and I as say all they think it was is loud injectors but I've never heard injectors like that before :s

Thanks for your input on this guys really do appreciate the help in getting to the bottom of this :D

#7 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

whats the injectors have to do with that metal sound lol oh dear Ford??

#8 gazsts

gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

Exactly my thinking bud! :)
I did have the feeling I was maybe being fobbed off as I can understand 'clicking' from the injector, but metal? :s hmmmm

#9 Dave-2912

Dave-2912

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Mk7.5 Fiesta ZS

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I've heard a few modern cars with direct injection that suffer from quite loud, tappety injectors. BMW's new 'twinpower' 4-cylinder petrol 'N20' engine sufferes from this. Sounds almost diesel-like at times but is completely normal. I couldn't watch your videos at work but it wouldn't surprise me if the ecoboost engines sounded similar.

#10 NQbbe

NQbbe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125hp Sport

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

I can confirm my Fiesta doesn't have that sound (also a 1,0 125). That being said I'd say it sounds like injectors, despite the slightly metallic sound.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it could also have something to do with the turbo, as that comes on at 1.500 rpm and upwards.

#11 gazsts

gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Turbo you say. Good point on the 1500 mark. Didn't think of that possibility. Thanks for confirming that yours does not sound like this though. If anyone else can confirm theirs does not sound like this it would be of great help. In fact if it wouldn't be too much to ask could someone possibly post a vid of their sound holding at just around 1500 - 1800 rpm. That way I could maybe use it as ammo against ford to highlight a possible problem. Many thanks so far guys. Going to see if I can maybe narrow down where the sound is coming from to maybe give a better idea. Will def keep you all posted :D

#12 NQbbe

NQbbe

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125hp Sport

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about recording the video yesterday.

Either way I've recording mine from inside the car using a cellphone, so you'll probably need to increase volume quite a bit. Around midway through the video I roll the window down, in case you wonder what that sound is  :)

Also I'm wondering if you notice the sound when the engine is cold, warm or both ?

My video is recording with a warm engine (did around ~12 km (roughly 7,5 miles) before recording it)

The video can be found here: 

#13 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Esate 1.8 TDCI

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Have you filled up with supermarket fuel? If so try Esso or Shell before going back to Ford,

#14 rick45

rick45

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6tdci
  • Year: 2012

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thrash it till it blows up then tell ford "i told you so",

That sounds bad like a fan blade hitting something every time it rotates, definitly  needs seeing too.

#15 kisscycles

kisscycles

• Members via Twitter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: S-Max

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Injectors. get to the dealer again and get the concern noted - they may have the correct technical answer or a Tech Service Bulletin on the topic. The most senior Ford guy in the UK & Europe is Steve Odell his email is: sodell1@ford.com - let him know if you don't get a fix 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users