#16 CashMoney

CashMoney

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Estate Mk3 1.0 125 Ecoboost
  • Year: 2012

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

1.0L Ecoboost here too, and that is definitely not the right sound it should be making. Mine is admittedly noisier than expected with the bonnet up, but it's quiet enough that idiots who like to walk in the middle of the roads around where I live never here the car behind them to the point I have to rev the engine or even beep the horn to get noticed. There is no loud clicking noise like yours is making, the car sounds like it does before 1500rpm just slightly louder and with the appropriate scale increase. the only other noise from mine is a slight squirrely sound when easing off the throttle which I assume is the turbo winding down. I'd take it back to Ford and insist they do something about it. Also, I use supermarket fuels and esso fuel, makes no difference to performance or noise in mine.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 gazsts

gazsts

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Focus ST and Zetec S 1L Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hi all.

Many thanks for all your suggestions so far. Think I could be getting closer to the exact cause of this, to be honest i think i have found the culprit. Using a large full metal screwdriver as an engine stethoscope (neat little home trick  :) ) I have found where the sound is coming from. The injectors themselves sound fine when listened to up close but if i listen to what looks like the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) i get the exact noise in my ear which is causing the issue. Heres a pic of the bit I mean. 

https://www.dropbox....13 17 52 39.jpg

Is this the FPR or is it something different? Its all part of the fuel line by the looks of it and its whats making the horrible noise.

Thanks everyone! feeling very close to finally cracking this!  :lol:

#18 jd_james

jd_james

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 173 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Ecoboost Zetec S

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Mine makes this noise a little bit and you only really hear it when its turning off. 

It dont sound quite as loud as this though.

#19 Adriano

Adriano

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name: Adrian
  • Ford Model: Ecoboost MK 7,5

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Mine sounds the same..

#20 KOF

KOF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Karsten
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 100hk

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi

I have the same problem.

It is for sure the Bosch high pressure fuel pump. Mine started at about 3000 miles, and it has gradually become worse until now 7000 miles, and is now truly annoying. Sadly the damn thing won't break down properly ...

Ford says everything is fine, but it's not. What was a nice silent car when I bought it, now has a high pitch noise as the most dominant noise from the engine when driving at constant speed.

Does anyone know if Ford ever has acknowledged the problem ?

#21 Ffoxy

Ffoxy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name: Keith
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 125 1.0 Zetec S Ecoboost

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Bit off topic but I'm wondering... as turbo has been mentioned... if all owners are aware of the need to "warm down" a turbo engine after a good thrash before switching off the engine?

The problems that can occur if you dont warm them down can be rapid wear of bearing surfaces due to heat soak and the high rotation speed of the turbo-charger shaft. Leaving the engine idling for a minute or two should be enough to let the turbo shaft slow down from hundreds of thousands of RPM to something a bit less challenging while still having oil pumped to the bearings.

I'll get back in my box now...

#22 Ffoxy

Ffoxy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Name: Keith
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 125 1.0 Zetec S Ecoboost

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

There's also the new tech to think about, like the variable output oil pump, assuming the lube level is good...?

And also the VVT system, if you use a stethoscope, can you locate the noise to the cambelt end of the motor?

#23 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Bit off topic but I'm wondering... as turbo has been mentioned... if all owners are aware of the need to "warm down" a turbo engine after a good thrash before switching off the engine?

The problems that can occur if you dont warm them down can be rapid wear of bearing surfaces due to heat soak and the high rotation speed of the turbo-charger shaft. Leaving the engine idling for a minute or two should be enough to let the turbo shaft slow down from hundreds of thousands of RPM to something a bit less challenging while still having oil pumped to the bearings.

I'll get back in my box now...

Hi, Ford have realised this, the ecoboosts have water cooled turbo bearings with an electric pump that will run on for a while after the engine has been stopped, because of the start/stop. This means that the turbo bearings will continue to be cooled after switching the engine off...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users