Show
Photo

Is There Such A Thing As A Competent Ford Dealer?

service

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ford_focus

ford_focus

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

I've lost faith in local dealers (not that I had much anyway!) when it comes to car servicing. I mean if I can get the official Ford service schedule from Etis, why can't they?

There are certain optional things like the DPF additive that really should be done, yet nobody has asked me if I want these doing. One dealer has said the DPF additive fluid doesn't need doing on my car, yet the official Ford service schedule specifically mentions it.

If they can't get things like this right, what else are they missing?

So I don't really know where to take my car to get a full and comprehensive 75k service. I mean the cost of this is £330, so is it too much to expect them to know exactly what they're doing?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,701 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I too have fallen out with my local dealer never to return mate,
My last actions were to tip him 2euro and my exact words were '' take that to the pound shop on your way home, and buy yourself a cowboy hat son''

#3 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,580 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Do you not get given the print out from etis when you have your car serviced?

I always get the print out with everything ticked off - also shows tyres levels, etc.

#4 ford_focus

ford_focus

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I haven't been to a Ford dealer with my car. But for this year, and since I'll be keeping it for a few more years I thought I'd look into getting a 75k service done by an official dealer.

But my experience so far has not inspired me with confidence.

I want them to say - would you like us to top up the DPF additive fluid, but none has done that, and one said it didn't actually need doing on my car.

Just please give me some indication that you're going to do a comprehensive job for my £330. Otherwise I'll go back to my budget service just to change the filters and oil.

So, am I a fool to go to the dealers, or am I actually getting value for money?

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

lmfao loving the reply Lenny! although your statement did just seem to add 20 years to the mental image I have of you, as soon as you mentioned "son" :P

As for the service, there is no reason you couldnt take the car to an indie or do it yourself, some jobs like EOLYS though require them to do it in most instances as there is little choice of a workaround.

As for the car, what do you actually have?

Finally as to the trusted dealer comment, I can say mine seem to be one of the few who are trustworthy and competent. I stand by the fact that I wouldnt take a job to them that I could do myself or via an indie much cheaper (for example, looking to replace disks and pads all round soon, I wouldnt take that to them). I know they would have to charge Ford Prices, and that would be the problem, otherwise though, I have no qualms whatsoever taking my car to them for a sudden issue that kills the car off!

#6 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

they do exist mines brilliant the cars serviced washed waxed and valeted with the check list to show whats been done even down to greasing the door hinges and ive checked they do exactly what it says they should only once was i unhappy when the car wasnt cleaned and i was given a free mot and a 10percent discount

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,873 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I think the thing is that a genuine dealer is hard to come by! most wear the cowboy hats with pride, most hide the cowboy hats because they dont want to be seen that way. My dealer is the latter, but I see and hear of far too many of the former...

#8 ford_focus

ford_focus

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

As for the car, what do you actually have?

Focus 1.6 TDCI Sport

they do exist mines brilliant the cars serviced washed waxed and valeted with the check list to show whats been done even down to greasing the door hinges and ive checked they do exactly what it says they should only once was i unhappy when the car wasnt cleaned and i was given a free mot and a 10percent discount

Pity you're so far away. I would travel a bit to find a good reputable dealer who I could trust.

#9 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Mine is exemplary....

#10 ferretfloozy

ferretfloozy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: ferret
  • Ford Model: fiesta 2003 - focus zetec 2007

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

mine has a dorsal fin ...wanted £30 for wiper blade but sells them under the garage name on ebay for £23 inc post .. when i queried it he said "get them of ebay then"

#11 Reluctant Ford owner

Reluctant Ford owner

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

It's not just Ford dealers that are crap. It's the same with other brands.

Even though it costs you £300, with their overheads etc dealers don't have time to service cars properly and make a profit, so a lot of minor things get overlooked, or they'll fob you off until the warranty runs out, then it's not their problem anymore and they can sell you a new car.

But as I said, it's not just Ford that are like that.

#12 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: MONDEO
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

At least !Removed! Turpin wore a mask when he took your money :lol:

#13 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual
  • Year: 2009

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Talk to friends for recommendations, generally the local independent dealer is the best, they have a reputation to maintain.    

#14 ford_focus

ford_focus

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Having looked at the service schedule, I've decided that £330 + £100 for DPF fluid topup is extortionate.

I'll go to the dealer for the DPF fluid, but all the other stuff amounts to oil + filter replacement, fuel filter replacement and induction air filter replacement. All the rest is fluff which I can check myself.

#15 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,580 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Seems rather expensive, my dealer is around £140 every other year and £240 the others for my car, iirc.

They are a local independent though. The incompetencies seem to come from the really big groups, regardless of marque. Westover is a good example....

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users