Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foc Computer Workshop

b1g_dav3

Got a burning question? Looking for a new system? Got a problem and need a solution? Post here!

Basically I thought if anyone of FOC has a computer issue or is looking for a new computer or anything else computer related (Laptop, Mac or PC) then it'd be a decent idea to have a thread where people can post what they need, and others can post advice and/or solutions to various problems.

Got a Problem?

Post your problem or question, and then your PC specs if you can (can be found right clicking on 'Computer' and selecting properties). Also post your operating system.

This way you can get the best information possible.

Looking for a new Laptop/PC?

Post what you need, what you use your computer for and any brands you want to steer clear of!

Any other questions or advice you may have generally, post away!

Always just handy to have a dedicated tech thread, that way if anyone ever has an issue and it's been previously discussed then it's all in one place :P

Lets kick this off then.

I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro later this year. Looking at current options I quite fancy the smaller (13.5?) one, but I notice the larger (15?) has an i7, over the smaller one's i5.

Im not a serious editor or gamer or anything. I imagine the i5 will be more than capable for my basic needs, plus I like the smaller neater sized model - just wanting someone to convince me I'm right really... lol

Anyone else here with MacBook Pros?

I can't comment on how good Mac's are, but the i7 and i5 although are different in power by a decent amount, the i5 is still quad core, it just does without the virtual cores if I'm not mistaken (i7's are recognized as having 8 cores with hyperthreading, instead of the 4 cores it actually has).

So, what is it you're mainly looking at doing? For example is it every day stuff such as MS Office based things for Home/Business (So Outlook, Powerpoint, Word, Excel) or do you use it as a media system as well? The problem with the smaller screen is for playing movies you may feel the screen a little small. However, if portability is important and you use it as a workhorse more, the 13 inch is probably going to see you right.

Suppose there's price as well which may be an issue, what budget are you on?

I'll start of by making clear I'm not a fan of Apple products (quite the opposite in fact). That aside though, as big_dav3 says it really depends what you want to do with it.

Between i5 and i7 it really depends on which actual model they are using, some are quads some are duals, some have ht some don't.

agreed! i5 is perfect for anyone who just wants a mid spec computer. The i7 is really the titanium X of the processors, the i5 is the Zetec :D

agreed! i5 is perfect for anyone who just wants a mid spec computer. The i7 is really the titanium X of the processors, the i5 is the Zetec :D

It depends what you want to do with it, and what range the i7 is from.

Compared to LGA2011 CPUs, an i7 LGA115X CPU would seem positively "style" like, lol.

lol that is true!

Think Apple use half decent i7's though so all is safe :P

If you want the smaller computer the i5 is a no brainer, but if size isn't an issue then it's all in the air, because the 15 inch will probably be more costly with the i7.

Think Apple use half decent i7's though so all is safe :P

Being Apple that's what they want you to think. I have just looked up specs on both the i5 and i7 they use in the Macbook Air for example. Both are dual core with ht. The i5 has slightly less cache and a lower top clock. Basically it is trivial and you would need benchmarking utilities to see the difference.

With the Macbook Pro it is slightly different the i5 is dual with ht, whereas the i7 is quad core with ht. Massive difference in performance given a demanding application.

The i5 would be more than adequate for most users, but if you will only be doing things like web browsing, emails, etc. It would then beg the question what you need the pro for over something cheaper...

The i7 dual isn't all bad though, although are they using the Haswell chips? I'd imagine it's a dual because of power advantages on battery, but Haswell uses less power now anyway.

Agreed on the needing of a pro though.

Haswell is more efficient yeah, but i7 is just branding. All i3, i5 and i7 CPUs since sandy bridge are the same arch just with different parts enabled on the die and slight tweaks with each "new" gen.

The important thing is not to buy on branding but on the specs of the components for what you need.

Branding is a big issue, and one I probably fall foul of too in all fairness; such as AMD vs Intel.

AMD are seen as budget processors and shouldn't be touched in high end builds, even the distinct amount of Intel boards pushes this. Thing is my main rig consists of an i7 and an Nvidia GTX Titan; for what I play I could probably have just used an AMD card and chip and been just as well off for less than half the price, but it doesn't have the 'pub BHP' as it were.

I'm not personally well up on AMD at all, but I don't think I'm wrong here...

Not bad for a Mini ITX though :P

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well although I'm a titanium owner I'm sure a zetec will be fine for my computer needs lol. :P

I think the i5 on the 13.5 inch will be right for me. This purchase is more because I want one rather than need one, so the cheaper the better.

Also when at home I like using my dual wide-screen'd windows desktop, so having the macbook pro as portable as possible is high priority so I won't be put off taking it with me when out and about - so thats another point towards the smaller model.

I'm pretty much a basic user at the moment, mainly just doing office based tasks and internet surfing. I do want to start messing around with video editing but this'll probably just start with iMovies - nothing professional or too demanding. So I'm sure the 13.5 i5 will be more than enough for me. (And I'm unlikely to be watching movies on it very often, if it all).

Thanks again for helping, pretty sure I'll just go for the 13.5 MacBook Pro with retina display and i5 - or when money permits anyway haha

Well that answers if you need a pro then, want is far more powerful than need :P

There's plenty macs will do, and the pro series if you do decide to do some editing is handy. Use the money that you save from the i7 to get a good carry case/bag :P

Or a Windows operating system :P

Or a Windows operating system :P

Lol. Well I do have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and soon a MacBook, but I'm still Windows through and through - however well I hide it - honest

;)

• Like 1

Well it's not difficult to do, although if you go for the smaller 128GB SSD it might be tight on space. I'd recommend 256 for complete storage, I have an SSD in my laptop, and I wish I'd gone for 256GB over the 128GB, even though it has 3 drives :P

I work with both Macs and PC's at work on a daily basis and my point of view is if you have the money and you want a strong reliable bit of kit and performance isn't key to what you want a Mac is the way to go, i know if you crank up the ram etc you can increase the Mac's performance and the standard user might not even notice the difference but in my experience once you try getting Macs to do something intense like video editing it often slows down sometimes to the point where you think its a sleep lol. PC's although often less reliable (more often then not due to bugs in windows or viruses) are far cheaper can be upgraded easier and less complicated to trouble shoot, don't get me wrong Mac's are good for some things but i think PC's out weigh it a lot, i think Apple spend more time on products like the IPad, iPhone and Ipod than they do with there computer range.

I prefer PC's for their gaming power, and their compatibility to play games too. I could have had a Mac instead of my desktop, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as powerful there really. Good pieces of tech for CAD and video editing though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club