Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is This Part?

mixmasterlooney

While searching for places to install possible Speakers i came across this under the drivers seat and the front passenger seat. Does anyone know what it is and what does it do?

jvl6.jpg

I am aware that the loom is for sensors in the seat relating to seatbelts and airbags

As i mention installing Speakers however i wont be removing the stock travelpilot system as the sat nav is basic but good bluetooth is great and i like the stock look, Although saying that this system simply does not have enough pound to satisfy me, what bugs me the most about it is how it fades out the bass and dumbs down the volume to balance out the sound, constantly changing volume is more than irritating to me

Therefore i will be installing an additional head unit (Still thinking of places to put it any suggestion would be great) possible additional Speakers or i may just connect into the stock door speakers although i would rather not as they will fail to keep up with the almighty sub going in the boot.

• Like 1

Thats the air vent for the rear passenger area , turn your fan onto feet and then fan speed up and put your hand by it

• Like 2

I had no idea rear passenger had this! awesome feature thanks paul. In that case removing it is a no no. okay need more ideas

• Like 1

I'm guessing the only real place is glove box , unless you make a box to sit above the Air vent

• Like 1

It is going to be difficult to get the bass sound you want - its probably going to take a lot of work/ money to achieve

One suggestion is fitting "infrasonic" filters (high pass filters) to the existing door Speakers, - this basically stops the bass getting to the door Speakers, so the door Speakers can handle more power/ volume - and the sub handles all the bass - the active x-over frequency in the sub would be adjusted to compliment the roll- of frequency of the door speakers (with the "infrasonic" filters installed)

This would just be an interim solution because ultimately you will really need to replace all the speakers/ amps etc and "beef up" the electrics (audio battery/ capacitor etc) to cope with the bootful of amps you would need

At the momment the head unit is limiting the bass/ volume with a built-in compressor -(and/ or the autovolume is adjusting the volume) it may be possible to disable these features - but watch you dont blow your speakers/ amp by overdriving them

You would have to use cd-s as a source because mp-3s remove some of the bass

• Like 1

I'm guessing the only real place is glove box , unless you make a box to sit above the Air vent

I want to keep it classy glovebox is the best location by far it isn't accessible whilst driving the biggest down side. A box on the air vent is too revealing lol my aim is for some kind of sleeper sound system

It is going to be difficult to get the bass sound you want - its probably going to take a lot of work/ money to achieve

One suggestion is fitting "infrasonic" filters (high pass filters) to the existing door speakers, - this basically stops the bass getting to the door speakers, so the door speakers can handle more power/ volume - and the sub handles all the bass - the active x-over frequency in the sub would be adjusted to compliment the roll- of frequency of the door speakers (with the "infrasonic" filters installed)

This would just be an interim solution because ultimately you will really need to replace all the speakers/ amps etc and "beef up" the electrics (audio battery/ capacitor etc) to cope with the bootful of amps you would need

At the momment the head unit is limiting the bass/ volume with a built-in compressor -(and/ or the autovolume is adjusting the volume) it may be possible to disable these features - but watch you dont blow your speakers/ amp by overdriving them

You would have to use cd-s as a source because mp-3s remove some of the bass

Exactly the real issue is the built in compressor, i never thought about researching how to disable it as i thought it wasn't possible, i wont look into it anyways because the travelpilot system does not have any outputs for a sub.

I already have the main parts to build it all, a 1000 watt RMS sub 2x500 watt in one enclosure with a 1500 watt rms amp, a big wiring kit and a very old kenwood head unit beaten up but still working, taken from my first car. The head unit will be upgraded in the future because it doesn't even support aux input.

The glovebox idea is best so far and would be great if i could find a head unit with remote (wired remote)

Now leaves me with no place to put 4 additional Speakers

It is possible to get a head unit with a remote where the main part is tucked away -

http://vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm

Alternatively, you can adapt the output of your existing fitted head unit using this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-Car-Line-2-Channel-Converter-Audio-Output-Adapter-/280595995255?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4154d31a77#ht_10000wt_1135

Other forum members already use similar devices to hook up sub- amps to their head units without line- outs

With using the existing unit a neater solution - it saves you having to fit another head unit (in the glove compartment etc) - at some point in the future you could always upgrade it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club