Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple Of Q's

Richdot

Hi All,

Right I don't think these are problems as such apart from one possibility.

1. My car sometimes struggles to start, battery and Alternator test have come back fine. Starter motor is not noisy. It's a bit strange, it starts while struggling and it sort of struggles and hunts for revs a little and sounds a little rough to be fair. Thoughts?

2. Car gets warm VERY fast well my temp gauge does it takes 1-5mins of idling from cold and it's at the half way mark. Does not go passed the half way mark but it gets there very fast. Just thinking if that's just a normal thing to happen with these cars?

Said car is a Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol Titanium 2008

Thanks.

Rich.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Right I don't think these are problems as such apart from one possibility.

1. My car sometimes struggles to start, Battery and Alternator test have come back fine. Starter motor is not noisy. It's a bit strange, it starts while struggling and it sort of struggles and hunts for revs a little and sounds a little rough to be fair. Thoughts?

2. Car gets warm VERY fast well my temp gauge does it takes 1-5mins of idling from cold and it's at the half way mark. Does not go passed the half way mark but it gets there very fast. Just thinking if that's just a normal thing to happen with these cars?

Said car is a Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol Titanium 2008

Thanks.

Rich.

I'd have the fuel filter changed mate,

But prior to getting it changed purchase a bottle of magic bullet and put it in the fuel tank to flush the system then change fuel filter,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Bullet-Fuel-Treatment-from-online-bg-244-part-no-Petrol-Diesel-Biofuels-/220934009272?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3370b171b8

Also purchase some MAF sensor cleaner (Mass air flow)

Its usually foam cleaner, don't touch the sensor with your hands as its super sensitive just use specific cleaner,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRC-AIR-SENSOR-CLEAN-MASS-AIR-FLOW-METER-CLEANER-200ML-/121148444814?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3502908e

And third

I'd change the induction filter for maximum air flow and fuel flow.

Also try a different fuel supplier,

Quick heating and hesitant starting could be watered down fuel,

It's had a full service yesterday mate, air, plugs, oil filter, oil.

It's life time fuel filter on this model. It's in tank.

Is the temp thing normal then?

• Like 1

It's had a full service yesterday mate, air, plugs, oil filter, oil.

It's life time fuel filter on this model. It's in tank.

Is the temp thing normal then?

I've never heard of a car that doesn't have a fuel filter in the engine bay next to the fuel rail,

This is news to me,

And I'm not sure about the heating mate,

I would try purchasing fuel from a different place next time you fill though

Yeah mate it has a life time filter in tank. I've put some cleaner into the system a while back also unfortunately the little paper top went in as well. But been told that's nothing to worry about as it won't make its way through the system.

• Like 1

hes correct the ti vct has a non serviceable fuel filter in the tank how quick does it get to halfway ide say 5-10 mins usually

• Like 1

Yeah I'd say that was about right 5 mins. When I had the 1.6 diesel that was about 15mins until that got to half way this petrol is sooner than that.

• Like 1

Is the ti vct engine the 100bhp one? Anyone know much about it? Like how reliable it is etc

• Like 1

I've never heard of a car that doesn't have a fuel filter in the engine bay next to the fuel rail,

This is news to me,

And I'm not sure about the heating mate,

I would try purchasing fuel from a different place next time you fill though

It's a petrol Lenny, only diesels have a filter near the rail.

As for the car struggling to start, I would try it on a live data scan as it could be a duff temp sensor which might have some relation to it heating up really fast.

• Like 1

It's a petrol Lenny, only diesels have a filter near the rail.

As for the car struggling to start, I would try it on a live data scan as it could be a duff temp sensor which might have some relation to it heating up really fast.

Ahh right, it heats up to normal temps. I would say it takes 5 mins. Would you say thats too fast then?

• Like 1

5 mins is about normal if you actually use the dash trick youll find that though it sits around the 90 mark usually just below its actually only 78 degrees the temp gauge is just that a rough estimate of the temperature diesels take longer to heat up hence the 15mins the old car took as diesels run cooler than petrol the ti vct is the 115bhp version and are fairly reliable apart from the ti vct cam which roughly needs replaced around 60-70k youll know when its gone as the car will lose power the engine check light comes on and the dealer scratches there heads youll find when its say under 10 degrees outside it takes longer like any car to warm up its not a fault i have the same car also when using the dash trick dont be shocked when the temp says 136 thats the cylinder head temp and is normal the coolant temp is always 40 degrees less than the head temp so 136 at the head gives a coolant temp of 96 degrees

• Like 1

I beleive the Temp gauge is a simulated setting , and not the true temp as it's warming up , if you set it with ELMConfig , to real Temperature , the gauge takes much longer to move and moves slowly until it reaches correct temp.

• Like 1

I have no idea how to access anything like you have both said.

I have the 1.6 100bhp verison. 2008 titanium. Don't know whats what with it but on the temp gauge it does take a round 2-5 mins until its half way on the gauge.

I have no idea how to access anything like you have both said.

I have the 1.6 100bhp verison. 2008 titanium. Don't know whats what with it but on the temp gauge it does take a round 2-5 mins until its half way on the gauge.

rich don't worry about the gauge it's normal , as i said it's a simulated Temp , if it move's into the red then its time to worry :)

• Like 1

rich don't worry about the gauge it's normal , as i said it's a simulated Temp , if it move's into the red then its time to worry :)

That's it then lol. Thanks I will get on with it now then. Just strange never had a car go up to temp that quickly.

if you have a 100bhp then you dont have the ti vct but all are designed to increase fuel economy and prevent engine damage to heat up to running temp as quickly as possible trust me when winter comes on short journeys it wont go up that quick as said unless its in the red youre fine

• Like 1

Ok thanks. Increase fuel economy? Mines really rubbish. I'm getting 35mpg at the very best on good runs out to and from work every day.

• Like 1

well claimed increase i do 10 mile trip to work and 10 miles back getting between 36mpg-40mpg with mostly hills so 35mpg is about right

That's good I would never see 40mpg. Costing me 50 quid a week in fuel at the moment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club